Smith confims Foster likely to feature

With the injury problems at Rangers beginning to take hold, Walter Smith came out in support of loan-defender Richard Foster and insisted that he has no fears in pitching him in against Kilmarnock tomorrow.

"There's no problem just slotting Richard in because he's an experienced enough player with confidence in his own ability, so he can handle the situation. It's been awkward for him because since he's been here the team has played very well and it's been difficult for him to break in."

With Bougherra injured for up to three weeks, Papac struggling and Webster out as per usual, Smith knows that many of his fringe players will be playing more and more a part in the defence of our title.

"But with the injury situation he'll get an opportunity to get a game and he's more than ready for that at the moment. When you are struggling for players the loan situation is another thing you need to deal with and I think Richard was understandably a little frustrated by that."

View the full article

walter- it's been difficult to fit him in since the team has been playing well.

whittaker has been a disaster this season, broaders not much better.

Walter for all his attributes, his inabilty to rotate the team until injuries pile up is infuriating.

walter- it's been difficult to fit him in since the team has been playing well.

whittaker has been a disaster this season, broaders not much better.

Walter for all his attributes, his inabilty to rotate the team until injuries pile up is infuriating.

Totally agree mate! I think the goals from last year papered over whittakers performance and now that he isn't scoring we are seeing what he really is like. I personally think he is not good enough, he never gets to the line, he can't defend or tackle and when he looses the ball he just saunters back!

I would play foster or buy another rb. Smith has to take some blame for his inability to drop players and rotate the squad.

We've been playing well - have we?

Steven Whittaker has been dreadful for the majority of the season, Broadfoot has struggled in a few games and has been carrying an injury, so the 'difficult to fit him in' is a load of rubbish.

Dropping Foster after the Valencia game was pretty harsh, considering he was one of, if not the best player in a Rangers jersey.

Hopefully he takes his chance and put's in another good performance tomorrow.

it's the same with hutton. played well in the cup game, dropped next game yet edu and mcculloch both have had poor form yet walter continues to play them with blind faith.

walter has been a good manager for us but his inability to take risks has cost us in games.

Look at the the likes of wenger, ferguson, steve bruce, moyes who place faith in their youth with the likes of wilshere, macheda, henderson, rodwell, and many more all getting games by dropping more established players.

We play in weak league, far inferior to the premiership, yet walter continues to play the safe game, allowing the more experienced players to get away with mediocrity. We have played poor all season apart from the the valencia and hibs games.

It seems nowadays the players think we can turn up for 15-20 minutes spells to win games and walter seems to be allowing this. The established players, and i mean all them if not playing well enough, drop them, it might do them the world of good in the long term.

Look at bougherra, since he has signed with us, has been immense, this season he has been , to say the least shambolic at times, and his distribution is nearly as pathetic as weirs at times. i'm not advocating 6-7 of them at once but 1 or 2 of them regulary would enhance the team, bring them out of this stale and lethargic form of late.