Another song warning from Rangers

Muff

RANGERS Football Club today repeated its warning to supporters not to engage in any sectarian singing at its fixtures.

The club is at serious risk of punishment by footballing authorities if sectarian behavior is in evidence among its fans.

This includes the singing of songs such as the Billy Boys, which is banned by UEFA, and the Famine Song, which has led to people being arrested and convicted in the past.

Ahead of tomorrow's match against Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Northern Constabulary have confirmed it plans to take a zero tolerance approach to sectarian behaviour.

Rangers Head of Safety and Security, David Martin, said: "Our fans have given us tremendous backing in Europe this season and we want that to continue in our domestic matches.

"As Martin Bain has previously stated, the majority of our supporters agree there is no place at Rangers for sectarian singing and the fans and the club have made great strides in recent years to address this behaviour.

"Unfortunately, we still have an element of the support who insist on singing offensive songs, particularly at domestic away matches in the SPL.

"For the avoidance of doubt, the club is at risk of punishment at ALL matches, domestic and European, and fans risk arrest if they participate in sectarian singing.

"Fans who engage in such behaviour only let themselves, other supporters and the club down.

"Problematic behaviour by supporters at away matches is not unique to Rangers but as a club, we are determined to tackle this issue."

Superintendent Ian Arnott of Northern Constabulary and Match Commander at the game, said: "We look forward to welcoming Rangers and their supporters to Inverness this weekend and I would remind fans that sectarian and racist behaviour are criminal matters and will not be tolerated in or around the stadium.

"My officers have been instructed to deal robustly with anyone engaging in such behaviour. In recent times these games have been memorable for all the right reasons and I am confident Saturday will be no different."

Police also remind Rangers traveling that coaches may be searched for alcohol prior to the match.

Anyone who witnesses sectarian singing should advise a steward or police officer or call the hotline at Rangers Football Club on 0871 702 1972. Alternatively text 'RFC' and relevant details to 66099.

Road conditions for the journey are vastly improved and all roads are open, however, if travelling by train supporters are advised to check in advance with rail operators.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20101210/club-statement_2254024_2241343

What's with all these statements?

When the fcuk was the last time the famine song was sung - they don't even know the songs we are singing ffs.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe someone has been having a quiet word in Bain's or somebody else ear that someone is trying to build a case to get us into some form of trouble?

This.

Liewell et al will stop at nothing - they are desperate for next year's CL money. There will be a concerted campaign to have us docked points coming to every media outlet near you soon. Guaranteed.

maybe its a case of prevention due to the sad element of glasgow not doing too well, they have to deflect issues from themselves and maybe this is the case, its a poss but im sure folk will have a greet anyway, put it this way dont sing what they class as what they believe we shouldnt at least in the short term and maybe we can get the limelite on that shower of shits and there singing, i dont believe there is smoke without fire

They should at least stick to FACTS if they are gonny warn us.

"the Famine Song, which has led to people being arrested and convicted in the past."

I think it was all round drunken behavoir and bawbaggery which led to arrests and not just TFS.

that the issue for some, a lot of people think things happened etc, it would be nice to see in black and white where we lie with all of this, afterall everyone has a story to base there side of things on, wheres all this legal documentation and the likes

Sad when you think that The Billy Boys was a Rangers Anthem sung by decades of our fans.

sad that it was a razor gang anthem bastardised from a true rangers song.

sad thet that was more popular than a rangers song for sure.

sad that noone want the rangers song back

Its simple - The Billy Boys was an excellent rallying call to the troops so it was natural that the dhims would try and get it banned.

The Famine Song showed them up for the hypocritical plastic paddies they are so that had to go as well.

Next stop will be Derrys Walls and Build My Gallows - just watch this space.

Ye know....................................I canny wait for this season to finish, with no major bad publicity for our club, and us sitting proudly atop the league once again.

I'm genuinely getting sick to the back fuckin teeth at all the shite being flung our way this season.

FFS RFC stand up, speak out, defend our club, defend us, defend our traditions, don't let other clubs and the media walk all over us.

Time to act.........................it's gone on long enough now.

They should at least stick to FACTS if they are gonny warn us.

"the Famine Song, which has led to people being arrested and convicted in the past."

I think it was all round drunken behavoir and bawbaggery which led to arrests and not just TFS.

drunkeness and bawbagery wont see you convicted of a racial or sectarian offence.

sad that it was a razor gang anthem bastardised from a true rangers song.

sad thet that was more popular than a rangers song for sure.

sad that noone want the rangers song back

It was good enough for generations of fans to sing.