Do you find you hate Celtic less the older you get?

Do you find that you hate them less the older you get? I certainly do.

When I was at school everyone was a Rangers fan so you didn't really mix with tims at all. I found it easier to believe that they were somehow different to us. But once I left school and went into the wide World I realised that, essentially, they are the same as us. Raise families, drive cars, pay the bills, drink in pubs, contribute to society and support their team the same as we do.

The rabid hatred I felt for them as a young teenager is now diluted. I still despise the team and hope they lose every game they play but I am probably far more mellow towards individual tims than I used to be as an ignorant schoolboy.

I thought up until a couple of years ago I was mellowing out and hated them less, then come along ǝpɐbıɹq uǝǝɹb ǝɥʇ and people jump on their bandwagon with their new wave of anti-British, anti-Poppy/war hero shite, anti-SFA, anti Scottish society, anti referee - and generally making themselfs look like paranoid tossers and I find myself hating them all in equal contempt again.

That continued with the studenty bastards at Glasgow Uni who love nothing more than parading about with Bobby Sands banners and tri-colours. Proper little Irish sympathisers that's never been outside of Scotland in their lifes.

I hate them more as I get older, which is a shame, as if we could rewind the past couple of years and some of them did things differently I think I'd have made great strides personally.

I hate the club more than I did when I was a kid and I hate certain figures directly involved in the club more but I've never hated any individuals just for supporting the team. In fact I only know a handful of tims and they're either close friends or extended family.

Without question

University was an eye opener. I met Celtic fans who were sound as a pound, and Rangers fans who were complete and utter cunts. Before that, i had this idealised view that every Celtic fan was a paranoid bigot. Now i still hate the football club as a whole but the whole 'they're so different to us, i must hate the unknown' aspect isn't there

I thought up until a couple of years ago I was mellowing out and hated them less, then come along ǝpɐbıɹq uǝǝɹb ǝɥʇ and people jump on their bandwagon with their new wave of anti-British, anti-Poppy/war hero shite, anti-SFA, anti Scottish society, anti referee - and generally making themselfs look like paranoid tossers and I find myself hating them all in equal contempt again.

That continued with the studenty bastards at Glasgow Uni who love nothing more than parading about with Bobby Sands banners and tri-colours. Proper little Irish sympathisers that's never been outside of Scotland in their lifes.

I hate them more as I get older, which is a shame, as if we could rewind the past couple of years and some of them did things differently I think I'd have made great strides personally.

ǝpɐbıɹq uǝǝɹb ǝɥʇ represent the lunatic fringe, though. I know plenty of tims who hate the negative image that they give their club.

Maybe it's just me but the older I get the more I realise that life is too short to be carrying all this hatred. Especially when you consider that the vast majority of Rangers and Celtic fans are essentially the same.

I hate the club more than I did when I was a kid and I hate certain figures directly involved in the club more but I've never hated any individuals just for supporting the team. In fact I only know a handful of tims and they're either close friends or extended family.

Well yes, given who the current manager is this is a valid point. Hating the club is a given though, I would have said - what I was getting at is hating an entire support base which is an attitude which mellowed as I got older.

ǝpɐbıɹq uǝǝɹb ǝɥʇ represent the lunatic fringe, though. I know plenty of tims who hate the negative image that they give their club.

Maybe it's just me but the older I get the more I realise that life is too short to be carrying all this hatred. Especially when you consider that the vast majority of Rangers and Celtic fans are essentially the same.

Of course ǝpɐbıɹq uǝǝɹb ǝɥʇ are a minority. A vocal one that ruin it for the good Celtic fans. It's not just exclusive to Celtic fans, it happens in all walks of life. Bad Jews, bad Muslims, bad darkies etc all give everyone else a ready-made excuse for prejudice through the actions of a minority. It's a shame, but it's human nature.

Saying "don't tar them all with the same brush" is fair enough, but sometimes it's easier said than done.

I've had a lot of run in's with tims at games through the years and you'd be amazed at how the "decent ones" would still turn on you to back up one of their scumbag own, even if they are in the wrong and I wouldn't expect it any other way.

Without question

University was an eye opener. I met Celtic fans who were sound as a pound, and Rangers fans who were complete and utter cunts. Before that, i had this idealised view that every Celtic fan was a paranoid bigot. Now i still hate the football club as a whole but the whole 'they're so different to us, i must hate the unknown' aspect isn't there

Exactly. There are some Rangers fans I would cross the road to avoid yet there are some tims I would be happy to call close friends. Something which would have been unimaginable for me as a young teenager.

I think if anything they've been even more odious in recent years.

Probably since their disgusting abuse of the death of Phil O'donnel and Tommy Burns, and more recently with the greenbrigade and 'honest mistake' nonsense.

I've got tim pals, so I wouldn't say it rules my life...but by-and-large they're an odd, twisted, bitter, paranoid bunch.

Of course ǝpɐbıɹq uǝǝɹb ǝɥʇ are a minority. A vocal one that ruin it for the good Celtic fans. It's not just exclusive to Celtic fans, it happens in all walks of life. Bad Jews, bad Muslims, bad darkies etc all give everyone else a ready-made excuse for prejudice through the actions of a minority. It's a shame, but it's human nature.

Saying "don't tar them all with the same brush" is fair enough, but sometimes it's easier said than done.

I've had a lot of run in's with tims at games through the years and you'd be amazed at how the "decent ones" would still turn on you to back up one of their scumbag own, even if they are in the wrong and I wouldn't expect it any other way.

This is hardly surprising in the singular atmosphere of an Oldfirm game.

This is hardly surprising in the singular atmosphere of an Oldfirm game.

Decent people should still be able to rise above it though. If I seen Rangers fans picking on Celtic fans (what I'd class as banter aside) I'd have something to say about it.

Most Celtic fans are cowards I've had run in's with. If your yourself and there's a few of them your fair game for anything they wan't, however, if there's even 2 or 3 of you and a dozen of them - they will say fuck-all.

In my experience anyway.

My best friend is a Celtic fan. We have been best mates since primary school so I'd say that's now been about 16 years. He is one of many normal and sensible Celtic fans you could meet. He's not religious, not sectarian and also supports what the British Army have done for this country and what they are doing.

His family are also all Celtic fans, except his mother and they are like my second family and welcome me like a son. I watch all old firm matches at his house if I can't make the match or my Brother/Dad can't watch it. Don't get me wrong things might get a little heated and stuff but it's only for the course of 90 minutes then afterwards everything goes back to normal.

I suppose this is what I think of when I get asked they question " Do you hate Celtic fans?" or "How much do you hate Celtic?".

The rivalry between Us and them has brought me some brilliant memories. I also am lucky to know some of the better Celtic fans who I can relate with as we both love the same thing; our own club.