Are you Fishing? Durrant scouting Derek Riordan?

managementteam.jpg

Bizarrely, the Scottish Herald last night linked Rangers to Hibernian and ex-Celtic numbnut Derek Riordan. In what was surely an off the cuff, baited quote, Herald hack Stewart Fisher was surely living up to his surname and nothing more.Riordan is unquestionably a talented footballer, whenever he isn't being huckled from nightclubs, and is perhaps one of the finest strikers of a football in the SPL. With the childlike Edinburgh-born strikers contract ending in the summer and his manager hinting that he could leave in the New Year, speculation is building of where his next night club barring will be.

However, his prior professed love of the dark side and inferred hatred of the lighter blue side of life means that even though Ian Durrant was at the Hibernian versus Dundee United match the other night, surely it wasn't 'Deek' he was over to see?

Nevertheless, Fisher was quoted saying, "the presence of Rangers scout Ian Durrant in the stands will do little to dampen outlandish rumours that Derek Riordan could be on the radar of the Ibrox club."

Perhaps those 'outlandish rumours' were only started with that very quote and Fischer is having a bit of fun before the turn of the year? Or maybe he's hand a dram or two too many in early preparation or an over-rum'd Christmas pudding?

From looking at Fisher's prior history in the Herald it would appear that he has a fascination with writing about the dhims. A conspiracy theorist might say from underneath his tin foil headgear that Fisher was connecting some otherwise unrelated dots, adding three and three and getting seventeen - which isn't a step to far if he favoured a 'denominational' school - and merely slipping the sentence in to his article as an in-joke he was only in on.

It's much more likely is that Durrant was merely checking out the opposition, and if the Rangers fans wanted a dream about anything it would be for the signing of SPL Young Player of the Year David Goodwillie, a player that every Rangers fan would be happy to see in a Rangers jersey.

If Riordan were to pitch up at Rangers there would be more of an outcry than when Kenny Miller flip flopped back to Rangers after badge thumping for the green and grey.

Ironically, a player of Riordan's talent, ability and position on the park are exactly what Rangers are missing and he would be a perfect balance to Steven Naismith as a left side orientated 'central winger'.

I can't believe I've sat here tonight and written a blog about Derek Riordan and Rangers - it's a New Year and a new start - however even that would surely be a bridge too far for Riordan and Rangers?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't like him and wouldn't want him in a gers top...but he can pull off some stunning goals! Total idiot though!

But in saying that (as did most of us) I didn't want Kenny back and look at him now!!!!!

Guest therabbitt

Derek Riordan is exactly what we need in terms of a footballer, yet he is also exactly who we don't need as a person and squad member.

I would of taken him before his move to Celtic, now, maybe not so much... If Walter had time to have a word with him though, you maybe think he could get through to him... a very talented, dedicated Riordan, looking to get one over previous employees celtic would be a very shrewd signing, especially on a free... but I cant see it happening

I wanted him before his move to the scum. To be honest Id probably take him, look how Miller turned out and what he did was worse than Riordans potential move. He is a talent, and would be cheap he would be a good bench option IMO. Wouldnt be gutted if we signed him (tu)