George Hotz Publishes Playstation 3 Root Key

klbs-RFC

The PlayStation 3's security has been broken by hackers, potentially allowing anyone to run any software - including pirated games - on the console

A collective of hackers recently showed off a method that could force the system to reveal secret keys used to load software on to the machine.

A US hacker, who gained notoriety for unlocking Apple's iPhone, has now used a similar method to extract the PS3's master key and publish it online.

Full story

Not sure if the key should be posted, PM me if you would like a look at it. Looks bloody foreign to me :craphead:

I'm sure people out there will be loving this :)

Yeah it definately seems like a hardware change would fix it.

The group that originally found this out are not happy with Hotz releasing the key either, but I can see a new type of swap magic being produced for the ps3.

Just think, I have a blu ray burner aswell :)

The ps3break pen drives need to keep on being updated and only work on certain updates ad it is a software hack. This appears to be a hardware hack meaning there is possibly nothing Sony can do about it remotely and possibly means Sony won't be able to detect it being played online.

Because it uses the serial number that Sony use, there would be no way that the machine could tell the difference between rreal and fake.

Sony usually issue software updates to overcome piracy, as they did with the dongle hack but because this is at the heart of the PS3 hardware, no software update can fix it.

In basic terms

Sony will sell loads of PS3's now as it will be easy to play pirate games

No software fix they would need to make a new ps3 model to combat it.

You will probably be able to rent and put the games straight to your HDD

Your ISP provider is going to hate you downloading 8 to 20gb PS3 games.

Online will be rubbish if not finished as cheating on games such as COD will be easy, they have already managed to move the firmware version back on the hacked PS3's so expect to see people flying around in the sky with unlimted health and aim bots anytime soon.

In basic terms

Sony will sell loads of PS3's now as it will be easy to play pirate games

No software fix they would need to make a new ps3 model to combat it.

You will probably be able to rent and put the games straight to your HDD

Your ISP provider is going to hate you downloading 8 to 20gb PS3 games.

Online will be rubbish if not finished as cheating on games such as COD will be easy, they have already managed to move the firmware version back on the hacked PS3's so expect to see people flying around in the sky with unlimted health and aim bots anytime soon.

I dont think this will stop the ps3 from recognising it is not updated and will still try to update. I havent looked into the dongles but thought they were for only playing games offlines and thus worked as machine wouldnt have the software updated. I will probably be wrong.

You don't need a dongle the whole system is open now.

Just hope the Ps3 doesn't end up another dreamcast because unlike the PS1 days who is going to spend millions to develop a PS3 game when everyone can rent it and copy it straight to HDD or even download it.

Just think anytime soon you will be able to buy a PS3 in the far east with games already on the HDD etc the only winner in the short term is Sony who will sell millions of PS3's now in country's like China.

I understand it doesnt have anything to do with the dongles, but these were restricted by the firmware and could be comparable to the iphone in the sense you had to wait till someone had cracked the new firmware before you could update it.

I am guessing this could will be used in a similar way the swap magic was on the ps2 where you could copy games and then play them but this time you could copy it straight to the hdd. Sony will already have people working on this and it will be combated in new ps3 by some sort of hardware inclusion or a change of something.

Should mean older ps3 will go up in value.

PS3 firmware jailbreak released by Geohot

A second hacked firmware for Sony's PlayStation 3 has made it into the wild thanks to iPhone hacker George 'Gehot' Hotz.

The fiddled firmware, which has been cracked using the private key discovered by hacking group fail0verflow and publicly distributed by Hotz will unlock version 3.55 of the PS3 operating system to acertain degree but will not remove copy protection.

Gehot, who professes to have a vehemently anti-piracy stance, advises would-be pirates not to waste their time, as the firmware update will theoretically run homebrew software but will not sign off copied commercial games.

It's widely expected that a future firmware release will reinstate the 'Install Other OS' function to the popular console which was controversially removed by Sony in an misguided attempt to head of head off piracy.

In fact the effect was the exact opposite with hackers redoubling their efforts to open up the hardware in order to restore its ability to run Linux and other operating systems.

If you want to try out the proof of concept firmware you can get it here (http://geohot.com/jailbreak.zip) but don't come crying to us if it turns your PS3 into a noisy doorstop. Those of a more timid disposition should be content with just watching the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkLSXsCKDkg&feature=player_embedded