Rangers in for David Goodwillie

Davie2909

Fuck knows whats happening, its going to be a long fucking month, what with this news about the takeover, Walter saying theres no money and now we are bidding for players despite being fucking skint according to the mhedia. I dont know what to believe, although i generally find BBC News to be quite reliable.

I think we can make this deal happen if we were just able to pay in a few installments as most deals are done.

Im sure in the summer we paid all the transfer money we owed to teams and said we wont be doing that when buying players anymore

<cr> Wheres the £750,000 come from? Surely this means Miller's being punted. Goodwillie is a smashing player but not what we need right now imo.

We must keep Miller until the end of the season plus we've got striking choices in Jelavic, Naismith, Lafferty, Fleck and not forgetting Beattie.

WS sign a defender ;)

It will take £1m+ for anyone to get Goodwillie. I think he would be a good addition to our team in the future but not right at this moment in time. Any money we do have or get would be better spent on the defence as its shocking this season.

Peter Houston: I'll push Goodwillie out the door if a £1m offer comes in

1pixel_spacer.gif1pixel_spacer.gif1pixel_spacer.gif1pixel_spacer.gif1pixel_spacer.gif1pixel_spacer.gif<br clear="all">Published Date: 07 January 2011By Alan PattulloON THE last occasion Dundee United could boast of owning someone considered to be the hottest property in Scottish football, the club drove the hardest of bargains.

• David Goodwillie in action in last year's Scottish Cup final

Duncan Ferguson ended up leaving for Rangers in a deal worth £4 million, which represented the highest fee paid betwen two British sides. That the buying club was also Scottish dates the transaction. Rangers, in 1993, were still able to outmuscle the likes of Leeds United and Everton, who were also interested in the powerful, wayward striker. The income helped in the ongoing re-development of Tannadice Park, and Jim McLean - who had just vacated the manager's seat to concentrate fully on his other role as chairman - was able to reflect on a satisfying outcome.

If the personalties are now different, the desire to ensure the maxium dividend for having developed a young, talented player remains the same. David Goodwillie is not Ferguson, but he shares the striker's Stirling roots as well as a propensity to court trouble both on and off the field. As if to illustrate this, Goodwillie, while the current talk of Scottish football, is preparing to sit out the start of United's defence of the Scottish Cup, against Ross County at Tannadice tomorrow, due to suspension.

The 21-year-old was booked after scoring the crucial opening goal against the same opponents in the final in May. It was a game which underlined his progress. Indeed, United's cup success owed much to Goodwillie, who struck a solo goal in the fourth- round win over Partick Thistle a year ago on Sunday. He also scored in the semi final win over Raith Rovers.

For this reason, manager Peter Houston is understandly loath to let the striker leave on the cheap, something which he considers reported bids of £500,000 to be. Although alert to a financial climate which means United can no longer hope to command a record fee for a home-grown talent, Houston still feels able to insist the bidding should start with a seven figure sum. This is something he emphasised yesterday as the question of the player's future continued to dominate the agenda, much to the manager's frustration. He did, however, admit that he accepted the likelihood of Goodwillie departing - probably in the current transfer window.

"We have one of the hottest talents in Scottish football with 18 months left on his contract," Houston said. "If someone wants to take him, and it's a bigger club, I will be the first to push David. I want him to reach the top. He made his Scotland debut against the Faroes and has got better and better.

If it's been a bid of 750k not much to go or offer a player to let Walter/Ally get their man :sherlock:

Guest SandyWATP

for the people saying wed never get him for 750, what do you want us to do bid 2 million straight away?

Yeah, just because we are saying we won't get him for that, we want us to bid £2 million.

I didn't realise no value existed between those two prices doh

for the people saying wed never get him for 750, what do you want us to do bid 2 million straight away?

I see what you mean mate. Ease into it, add a little each offer. Might get him for less that way! :pipe:

Yeah, just because we are saying we won't get him for that, we want us to bid £2 million.

I didn't realise no value existed between those two prices doh

The way people are talking its as if Rangers dont understand we wouldnt get him for that :rolleyes:

You test the water and see what they want. if we go in at 1.5/2 then they would have asked for more than that, clubs never accept the 1st bid

I see what you mean mate. Ease into it, add a little each offer. Might get him for less that way! :pipe:

(tu)

We used to do it all wrong, bidding for players at the value the team wanted ie Rapid Vienna and Jela ended up costing around 2million more :lol: