Boxing and MMA

1 hour ago, JamieD said:

Crawford is a strange fighter. He seems to hurt his opponents every time he hits them but still chooses to be cautious. I mean, I like it, it's fun to watch him hustle for 3 rounds and then explode, but I can't think of many boxers who have power in both hands and a mean streak who also enjoy cautious pot-shotting as much as he does.

I find him boring to watch tbh

1 minute ago, Gillete said:

I find him boring to watch tbh

I find that bizarre. He's the perfect compromise between boxer and puncher and genuinely seems to enjoy the violence. Can you imagine Mayweather brawling and showboating in the 12th when he is miles ahead on points?

5 hours ago, lidorfc said:

It's not something new mate, the Americans, Russians and East Germans were running doping programs as far back as the 50s, China have run doping programs and rumoured to be gene-doping. Athletes back when the Olympics first started used alcohol before they competed because at sub-pished doses it's a performance enhancing drug. It's been massive in boxing for years. It's ridiculously big in cycling, how are you gonna make athletes not use substances that will improve their performance when that's the business they're in?

Life time ban anyone caught on a substance they should not be on. Got to put the fear in them.

Just now, keithgersbear said:

Life time ban anyone caught on a substance they should not be on. Got to put the fear in them.

Wouldn't work, it would just give chemists the opportunity to create new drugs that cannot be tested for because there would be huge demand for them.

17 hours ago, JamieD said:

I find that bizarre. He's the perfect compromise between boxer and puncher and genuinely seems to enjoy the violence. Can you imagine Mayweather brawling and showboating in the 12th when he is miles ahead on points?

I prefer a boxer who will seek and destroy 

The GGG come forward type fighter not on the Back foot

im not denying the guys talent, I just find him boring for some reason. Lots of the round he's doing nothing 

6 hours ago, Gillete said:

I prefer a boxer who will seek and destroy 

The GGG come forward type fighter not on the Back foot

im not denying the guys talent, I just find him boring for some reason. Lots of the round he's doing nothing 

I'd rather watch, say, Roman Gonzalez, or GGG obviously, but as far as "slick" American boxers go, Crawford is by far the most exciting around. Postol wasn't his most crowd-pleasing fight, I'll admit. I don't know why anyone wouldn't enjoy the Gamboa and Beltran fights though.

20 minutes ago, JamieD said:

I'd rather watch, say, Roman Gonzalez, or GGG obviously, but as far as "slick" American boxers go, Crawford is by far the most exciting around. Postol wasn't his most crowd-pleasing fight, I'll admit. I don't know why anyone wouldn't enjoy the Gamboa and Beltran fights though.

He won't get tested until he goes to welterweight 

How's Frampton fight gonna turn out lads?

As good as Carl is fighting off the back foot and counter punching I think that would be the wrong tactic to utilise because Santa Cruz is excellent at going forward and being the aggressor. He also throws many more punches than most and maintains a high tempo and work rate throughout the fight.

Im struggling to see where and how Frampton wins this to be honest. I'm a big Frampton fan and can't wait for it but I'm not confident at this stage.

Carls best chance of winning comes from either a knockout or fighting as the aggressor and pressurising Santa Cruz relentlessly for 12 rounds. This would mean throwing and receiving many more punches than he's accustomed to and I'm not sure he has the stamina to do so?

14 hours ago, 7troop said:

As good as Carl is fighting off the back foot and counter punching I think that would be the wrong tactic to utilise because Santa Cruz is excellent at going forward and being the aggressor. He also throws many more punches than most and maintains a high tempo and work rate throughout the fight.

Im struggling to see where and how Frampton wins this to be honest. I'm a big Frampton fan and can't wait for it but I'm not confident at this stage.

Carls best chance of winning comes from either a knockout or fighting as the aggressor and pressurising Santa Cruz relentlessly for 12 rounds. This would mean throwing and receiving many more punches than he's accustomed to and I'm not sure he has the stamina to do so?

See, i think fighting off the back foot is right thing for Frampton. Santa Cruz is an aggressive volume puncher, it would take a huge effort to make him fight on the back foot. I think he needs to stick to what he does best.

He needs to earn Santa Cruz's respect and slow him down. Santa Cruz can be hit easily. It's a winnable fight, but it will be tough. I'm surprised Santa Cruz has taken this fight as he likes to avoid everyone.

3 hours ago, maverick1200 said:

See, i think fighting off the back foot is right thing for Frampton. Santa Cruz is an aggressive volume puncher, it would take a huge effort to make him fight on the back foot. I think he needs to stick to what he does best.

He needs to earn Santa Cruz's respect and slow him down. Santa Cruz can be hit easily. It's a winnable fight, but it will be tough. I'm surprised Santa Cruz has taken this fight as he likes to avoid everyone.

I take your points mate. I know against Mares for example though that the only time Mares had any success was when he pressurised Santa Cruz and pushed him back? If you watch some of his fights back you'll see that he's actually catching most shots on his arms as they are long and provide him with a pretty effective guard.

I definitely agree about needing to earn his respect and slow him down which I'm sure will be one of Framptons immediate goals. However I think Santa Cruz is a lot tougher than he looks and equally loves a scrap.

My concern is that if it goes the distance with Frampton fighting in reverse then Santa Cruz will be winning the rounds with the higher volume of punches and ring aggression? Frampton is extremely easy to hit also.

It makes for a very intriguing fight and will be a hell of an achievement for Frampton if he pulls it off.

18 hours ago, 7troop said:

Frampton has to control the pace, i think Carl needs the stoppage tbh, ive a feeling he can do it, LSC is great going forward but i think its a different ball game this time. If it goes the distance? LSC but im taking frampton to stop him.  

22 minutes ago, 7troop said:

I take your points mate. I know against Mares for example though that the only time Mares had any success was when he pressurised Santa Cruz and pushed him back? If you watch some of his fights back you'll see that he's actually catching most shots on his arms as they are long and provide him with a pretty effective guard.

I definitely agree about needing to earn his respect and slow him down which I'm sure will be one of Framptons immediate goals. However I think Santa Cruz is a lot tougher than he looks and equally loves a scrap.

My concern is that if it goes the distance with Frampton fighting in reverse then Santa Cruz will be winning the rounds with the higher volume of punches and ring aggression? Frampton is extremely easy to hit also.

It makes for a very intriguing fight and will be a hell of an achievement for Frampton if he pulls it off.

I can't disagree with anything you've said 

I agree if it goes to points, Frampton will lose. 

5 minutes ago, sausagetrunks said:

Frampton has to control the pace, i think Carl needs the stoppage tbh, ive a feeling he can do it, LSC is great going forward but i think its a different ball game this time. If it goes the distance? LSC but im taking frampton to stop him.  

I think so too. Frampton can't be drawn into the fight because Santa Cruz can swing. 

I don't think he's strong enough to hurt LSC and I can't see him running without being tagged and drawn into a war

he seems confident but I just can't see it.

maybe a fight or two at the weight to get ready but it's a big ask

59 minutes ago, Gillete said:

I don't think he's strong enough to hurt LSC and I can't see him running without being tagged and drawn into a war

he seems confident but I just can't see it.

maybe a fight or two at the weight to get ready but it's a big ask

I think he is strong enough, LSC was put down with a heavy knockdown by Kiko Martinez in his last fight, this is why i think Carl can do damage with counters.  

6 hours ago, sausagetrunks said:

I think he is strong enough, LSC was put down with a heavy knockdown by Kiko Martinez in his last fight, this is why i think Carl can do damage with counters.  

Never knew he was dropped by Martinez 

Just now, sausagetrunks said:

This is where i can see Carl having success, Carl hits a lot harder than Kiko but as i say, if it goes the distance i can't see past LSC. 

I think the same. I think Frampton can have success. If Frampton wins on points he will have to fight the perfect fight.  

I don't think LSC is as good as made out either, he has avoided the top fighters for years. 

1 hour ago, maverick1200 said:

I think the same. I think Frampton can have success. If Frampton wins on points he will have to fight the perfect fight.  

I don't think LSC is as good as made out either, he has avoided the top fighters for years. 

i put 20 on frampton within 12