Boxing and MMA

Ricky Burns is a lucky boy. He was outboxed for the majority of that fight.

He did prove that his chin is solid and his conditioning is top notch, but that was a case of Gonzalez losing rather than Burns winning.

Ricky Burns is a lucky boy. He was outboxed for the majority of that fight.

He did prove that his chin is solid and his conditioning is top notch, but that was a case of Gonzalez losing rather than Burns winning.

Best summary yet. Gonzalez lost it. Burns never won it (tu)

The lowest selling PPV event in UK history.

Less than 1000 sales apparently!

Not surprised. Going head-to-head with Sky Sports was never going to equal a good buy-rate and McDonnell isn't exactly massively well known enough for people to think about buying.

Still ,great win for him and he deserves his triumph.

Burns not getting enough credit for me.

Gonzalez was well on his way to getting knocked out because he gave more than he could sustain in early rounds. Burns showed a tremendous chin and heart to stay in it, and was bossing the last two rounds with nothing to suggest the last few would be any different.

Gonzalez was well on his way to getting knocked out because he gave more than he could sustain in early rounds. Burns showed a tremendous chin and heart to stay in it, and was bossing the last two rounds with nothing to suggest the last few would be any different.

i think you are right it was either quit on his stool or quit while being punched sensless

Bizarre decision to put it on PPV.

Not many people would pay £15 for it, who wouldn't of been at the venue tonight.

Would have been wiser to have it next weekend when it didn't clash with Sky Sports. Still wouldn't have sold much, but I'd guess it would have done better.

'Bossing' is being fairly complementary, he was throwing punches, but hardly any connected. I think that's why most are confused as to why Gonzalez chucked it, he didn't look in trouble in those rounds that Burns was 'controlling'. Even with his supposed broken wrist.

I'm not saying Burns couldn't have done it, I personally thought he could have, but only if he stopped throwing pointless punches which weren't going anywhere near Gonzalez and concentrated on that knockout punch.

Burns proved he has a more than decent chin, which everybody knew. But really he was fairly lucky tonight, in my opinion.

Sky continually showed a 6/7 punch combination from Burns in the 7th as if confirmation he was winning the fight. Not one of the punches connected with the head or body. Gonzalez looked comfortable.

If his wrist wasnt broken then there isn't an excuse. If it is then there's no way he can continue and I feel for Gonzalez.

8 and 9 Burns was in control, but he wasn't absolultely pummeling Gonzalez.

your righthe wasnt but gonzalez legs had whent and was due to be a wslking punchbag. There is no doubt ricky was very lucky and looked outclassed for at least 6 rounds.

Thought the confidence was lacking in Ricky tonight a bit of ring rust maybe. I'm in no doubt though he would have finished Gonzalez once he knew his legs had went as for broner I really think he would struggle with a confident burns with his height and reach hopefully malinaggi jabs his head off though