Boxing and MMA

Kick in the teeth to the BDO :lol:

Scott Waites has said he will consider a switch to the PDC after being beaten by Martin Phillips in the quarter-finals of the BDO World Championships.

Waites, from Halifax, combines his darts with his job as a joiner but faces possible redundancy.

"I could keep playing darts in the BDO, which I love, or a sponsor could come along and push me to the PDC," Waites told BBC Sport.

"If I keep my job and can still manage to pay my bills then I'll be happy."

The number two seed almost pulled off a remarkable comeback after battling back from 4-0 down to level at 4-4, only for the Wales captain to snatch the deciding set.

"I'm a little bit disappointed, but I was beaten by the better man so that means I'm not good enough to win," added Waites.

When you go back home and work full-time it takes a little bit to get into the practice

Scott Waites

"My concentration levels dropped in the final set, I was drained of all my energy. To get it back to 4-4 I gave it everything I've got. But I didn't have anything left to get the last set.

"Martin deserves all the plaudits he gets. He stuffed me in the first four sets so I've got no complaints."

The loss to Phillips is Waites' third consecutive quarter-final defeat at the Lakeside and the 32-year-old admitted he would be keen to find out how much he could improve if he was able to devote more time to darts.

"I don't know how far I could go, but it would be nice to find out," said Waites. "I think I can get a lot better.

"When you go back home and work full-time it takes a little bit to get into the practice.

"When you're here at the Lakeside there's not much to do other than practice, you know how much your game comes along."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_spor...rts/8450075.stm