Boxing and MMA

Reading Tyson's book just now. Some read but pretty sad as well. Arguably at his peak aged just 20. Once he got his title he went right off the rails.

Who knows how good he could have been if he wasn't such a nutter (though I guess this helped him become the fighter he was).

Reading Tyson's book just now. Some read but pretty sad as well. Arguably at his peak aged just 20. Once he got his title he went right off the rails.

Who knows how good he could have been if he wasn't such a nutter (though I guess this helped him become the fighter he was).

Losing his trainer and mentor while going to Prison for something he felt he didn’t do (many others including her family agreed) messed him up big time, he was never the same fighter after that.

He could have went strength to strength had a few things went differently but it seems his aggression, anger and bitterness just eat away at his love for the sport and his talent suffered big time as a result. When he won the title he just became carless…used his brute aggression and power to win instead of mixing it with the skill and discipline he was taught.

Say’s everything about him as a boxer that he’s still regarded as one of the best heavyweights ever despite everything that went on and how much boxing he actually missed.

Losing his trainer and mentor while going to Prison for something he felt he didn't do (many others including her family agreed) messed him up big time, he was never the same fighter after that.

He could have went strength to strength had a few things went differently but it seems his aggression, anger and bitterness just eat away at his love for the sport and his talent suffered big time as a result. When he won the title he just became carless…used his brute aggression and power to win instead of mixing it with the skill and discipline he was taught.

Say's everything about him as a boxer that he's still regarded as one of the best heavyweights ever despite everything that went on and how much boxing he actually missed.

It's a shame he started to believe the "baddest man on the planet" tag. His defence was exceptional in his prime, there's no way in hell he should have been losing to someone like Douglas.

It's a shame he started to believe the "baddest man on the planet" tag. His defence was exceptional in his prime, there's no way in hell he should have been losing to someone like Douglas.

Pre title win he was unbelievable, he really did look to have it all. Defence, attack, power and discipline.

If you put a boxer into a moulding kit and wanted to max out his ‘stats’ then a young Tyson would be pretty close.

But as you say it all went to his head and he wasn’t the type of personality that could deal with fame, fortune, expectation ect.

I still remember him lying on the canvas a bloody mess after Lewis gave him a boxing lesson/beating and I couldn’t help feeling sad that this is what it came to. If you witnessed him in his prime you would never have pictured how it was going to go.

As soon as he won his title he'd achieved what him and Cus had set out to do. Started become an alky and was involved in so much shite out the ring that he really wasn't the same beyond 21.

It's crazy when you think now most boxers don't even achieve many top pro fights at the age he was World Champion.

Pre title win he was unbelievable, he really did look to have it all. Defence, attack, power and discipline.

If you put a boxer into a moulding kit and wanted to max out his 'stats' then a young Tyson would be pretty close.

But as you say it all went to his head and he wasn't the type of personality that could deal with fame, fortune, expectation ect.

I still remember him lying on the canvas a bloody mess after Lewis gave him a boxing lesson/beating and I couldn't help feeling sad that this is what it came to. If you witnessed him in his prime you would never have pictured how it was going to go.

What really stands out when you watch the early fights, even for a while after the Berbick fight, he always showed good sportsmanship and the first thing he did was check that his opponent was ok after he knocked him the fuck out. When he beat Berbick and became heavyweight champion of the world at 20 he hardly celebrated until he had gone and put an arm around him. Like you say, he had discipline. Every champion has leeches around him but the bad side of boxing never did a nastier job on anybody than it did on Tyson. I'm too young to have seen him in his prime but I remember the buzz around him when he got out of prison. Whether he did it or not, even that is a bad thing. All these people ready to forgive literally anything if they can make a little money out of it.

What really stands out when you watch the early fights, even for a while after the Berbick fight, he always showed good sportsmanship and the first thing he did was check that his opponent was ok after he knocked him the fuck out. When he beat Berbick and became heavyweight champion of the world at 20 he hardly celebrated until he had gone and put an arm around him. Like you say, he had discipline. Every champion has leeches around him but the bad side of boxing never did a nastier job on anybody than it did on Tyson. I'm too young to have seen him in his prime but I remember the buzz around him when he got out of prison. Whether he did it or not, even that is a bad thing. All these people ready to forgive literally anything if they can make a little money out of it.

Yeah I don’t remember very much until maybe the Bruno fight when he got out (or was it before) but I remember the weeks leading up to it the hype was crazy so I can only imagine what it was like in America. They loved him and idolized him….they also weren’t slow to dig the knife in and dig up any dirt they could find on him. The media’s ideal superstar in every respect.

I think I remember an interview possibly mid 90’s where he said he never had a true friend other than Cus in his life, you could see in his face and voice he was still an immature angry kid in a bulking man’s body. As soon as Cus passed it was open season on Tyson and the people around him knew it. Easy money and easy target.

World Championship draw made today. Anderson should make the semis as his quarter is probably the weakest out of all four. The section with Wade, Lewis, Barney, Bunting and Michael Smith will be good to watch.

Michael van Gerwen (1) v Joe Cullen

Stuart Kellett (32) v Viljanen/Stein

Terry Jenkins (16) v John Weber

Justin Pipe (17) v Lawrence Ryder

Dave Chisnall (8) v Ryan De Vreede

Paul Nicholson (25) v Benito van de Pas

Robert Thornton (9) v Andrew Gilding

Ronnie Baxter (24) v Mackenzie/Gurney

Peter Wright (5) v Gerwen Price

Andy Smith (28) v Ronny Huybrechts

Andy Hamilton (12) v Dave Richardson

Steve Beaton (21) v Kyle Anderson

Gary Anderson (4) v McGrath/Kirchner

Jelle Klaasen (29) v Christian Kist

Wes Newton (13) v Perez/Reyes

Kevin Painter (20) v Koltsov/Muramatsu

Phil Taylor (2) v Jyhan Artut

Mark Webster (31) v Ron Meulenkamp

Ian White (15) v Haavisto/Michael

Kim Huybrechts (18) v Mickey Mansell

Simon Whitlock (7) v Darren Webster

Dean Winstanley (26) v Wayne Jones

Mervyn King (10) v Max Hopp

Vincent van der Voort (23) v John Henderson

James Wade (6) v Jamie Lewis

Stephen Bunting (27) v Wattimena/Marijanovic

Brendan Dolan (11) v Arendse/Hon

Michael Smith (22) v Mensur Suljovic

Adrian Lewis (3) v David Pallett

John Part (30) v Keegan Brown

Raymond van Barneveld (14) v Rowby-John Rodriguez

Jamie Caven (19) v Jason Hogg

Richie Burnett was removed from the draw before it was made for "personal reasons"

rumours flying around that hes failed a drugs test, some stories saying EPO others saying it was coke.

nothing official yet though.

shame, Richie has always been a favourite of mine ever since his BDO world title at the Lakeside

Richie Burnett was removed from the draw before it was made for "personal reasons"

rumours flying around that hes failed a drugs test, some stories saying EPO others saying it was coke.

nothing official yet though.

shame, Richie has always been a favourite of mine ever since his BDO world title at the Lakeside

Don't understand why taking EPO would improve your darting performance. I'd say Coke was more likely.