Boxing and MMA

Great news that Floyd is coming back.

I don't want to get too far ahead of myself here but I think this shows he stills has intentions to fight Manny. If he wasn't going to fight him he would have just retired by now. He knows that if he's going to fight Manny it'll be early 2012 at the earliest, 2 years after his last fight, so he needs a tune-up fight to get rid of the ring rust.

Hopefully Manny and Floyd both win their fights later this year then they have one last shot at getting a fight organised.

I'm pretty happy with Floyd-Ortiz, Ortiz, a young powerful southpaw is no gimme. Saying that, I think after 3 or 4 entertaining rounds Floyd figures him out and dishes out a beat-down for the remainder.

I'm pretty happy with Floyd-Ortiz, Ortiz, a young powerful southpaw is no gimme. Saying that, I think after 3 or 4 entertaining rounds Floyd figures him out and dishes out a beat-down for the remainder.

I agree.

People are criticising Floyd for fighting Ortiz instead of Manny. If they used their brains for 2 seconds they would realise there's no chance of that fight happening until early 2012 at the earliest because Manny signed to fight Marquez before he even fought Mosley. So that meant Floyd's options are wait until 2012, which means he would have been out of the ring for 2 years, or take a fight against an aggressive southpaw fighter to get rid of the ring rust and prepare for Pacquiao. It's a smart move by Floyd.

Yep

Floyd always seems to figure out a way how to win

Thats just the quality of a fighter he is

6th round KO for me

I agree.

People are criticising Floyd for fighting Ortiz instead of Manny. If they used their brains for 2 seconds they would realise there's no chance of that fight happening until early 2012 at the earliest because Manny signed to fight Marquez before he even fought Mosley. So that meant Floyd's options are wait until 2012, which means he would have been out of the ring for 2 years, or take a fight against an aggressive southpaw fighter to get rid of the ring rust and prepare for Pacquiao. It's a smart move by Floyd.

I wish I had your optimism on Pac Floyd getting made, ever. I'm just happy Floyds fighting someone with a pulse. I'm hoping for Sergio next.

Yep

Floyd always seems to figure out a way how to win

Thats just the quality of a fighter he is

6th round KO for me

Very true.

I'm actually interested in whether the repeated long spells of inactivity and father time will effect Floyd. It has to at some point.

Very true.

I'm actually interested in whether the repeated long spells of inactivity and father time will effect Floyd. It has to at some point.

That's what I was interested to se but he always keeps himself in top shape

Look at how long he was out the ring for when he came back against marquez, he looked as if he was never away

Easy nights work for floyd IMO

This is a much better fight than Pacman v Marquez. Im getting sick of Pacman in all honesty, he aint fough a fresh fighter in his own weight class since he last fought Marquez.

I find it absolutely staggering that Mayweather is still coming off as the bad guy in this. The criticism he is getting on boxing websites for making this fight is ridiculous. Floyd fighting a young, dangerous welterweight champion is much more impressive than Manny fighting a past his best lightweight who has already been beaten by mayweather and by manny himself.

Pacquiao seems to be immune to criticism for some reason because of his 'man of the people' image. People accuse floyd of hand-picking his fights but Manny is even more guilty of doing it. His recent fights have been against guys who had already been schooled by Mayweather or were coming off of massive losses.

Hatton - already knocked out by Mayweather

De La Hoya - already beaten by Mayweather

Cotto - not the same fighter since Margarito knocked him out

Margarito - already destroyed by Shane Mosley

Mosley - already dominated by Mayweather

Marquez - already dominated by Mayweather

His other fight was against Clottey who never even tried to win the fight. Took the money and agreed to be a punching bag.

I find it absolutely staggering that Mayweather is still coming off as the bad guy in this. The criticism he is getting on boxing websites for making this fight is ridiculous. Floyd fighting a young, dangerous welterweight champion is much more impressive than Manny fighting a past his best lightweight who has already been beaten by mayweather and by manny himself.

Pacquiao seems to be immune to criticism for some reason because of his 'man of the people' image. People accuse floyd of hand-picking his fights but Manny is even more guilty of doing it. His recent fights have been against guys who had already been schooled by Mayweather or were coming off of massive losses.

Hatton - already knocked out by Mayweather

De La Hoya - already beaten by Mayweather

Cotto - not the same fighter since Margarito knocked him out

Margarito - already destroyed by Shane Mosley

Mosley - already dominated by Mayweather

Marquez - already dominated by Mayweather

His other fight was against Clottey who never even tried to win the fight. Took the money and agreed to be a punching bag.

100% agree. I said all that before

TBH marquez does deserve this fight with manny and expect JMM to give him some problems, but he will not be comfortable at that weight again as was the case when he fought floyd

IMO bob arum has got to get to fuck and manny should tell him where to go because he is holding manny back

I disagree slightly in that I think both fighters are serving up good fights. Marquez gives Manny fits and has been performing superbly of late. Mayweather did Dominate JMM but styles makes fights and Marquez/Pac is legit. Who else outside of Money would be a better fight?

I disagree slightly in that I think both fighters are serving up good fights. Marquez gives Manny fits and has been performing superbly of late. Mayweather did Dominate JMM but styles makes fights and Marquez/Pac is legit. Who else outside of Money would be a better fight?

Pacquiao has definitely fought the top names, there's no doubt about that, but Mayweathers wins against these same guys have been much more credible. He fought Hatton when he was still undefeated, he fought De La Hoya up at light-middleweight when De La Hoya was world champion, he fought Marquez after being out of action for 2 years and he fought Mosley when he was coming off of his most impressive win in years against Margarito.

Comparing that to Pacquiao it just seems that Pacquiao has taken the easier route and fought these guys when they were much less dangerous. Hatton had lost his unbeaten streak and changed trainers, de la hoya boiled down to welterweight for the first time in 7 years and Mosley was coming off of a defeat and a draw.

Pacquiao has definitely fought the top names, there's no doubt about that, but Mayweathers wins against these same guys have been much more credible. He fought Hatton when he was still undefeated, he fought De La Hoya up at light-middleweight when De La Hoya was world champion, he fought Marquez after being out of action for 2 years and he fought Mosley when he was coming off of his most impressive win in years against Margarito.

Comparing that to Pacquiao it just seems that Pacquiao has taken the easier route and fought these guys when they were much less dangerous. Hatton had lost his unbeaten streak and changed trainers, de la hoya boiled down to welterweight for the first time in 7 years and Mosley was coming off of a defeat and a draw.

Cotto and Clottey were, whichever way you slice it, good and legit fights, at least going in. That's of late, before that Pacs competition is dynamite, and disappointing after. In any case the line you have emboldened was in reference to the recently signed Marquez fight. Which I said I was in opposition to the criticism levelled on this thread. It's a good fight and again, who else outside of Floyd would be a better opponent?

Cotto and Clottey were, whichever way you slice it, good and legit fights, at least going in. That's of late, before that Pacs competition is dynamite, and disappointing after. In any case the line you have emboldened was in reference to the recently signed Marquez fight. Which I said I was in opposition to the criticism levelled on this thread. It's a good fight and again, who else outside of Floyd would be a better opponent?

He should have at least waited until after the Mosley fight before picking his next opponent. He claims that light-welter is his natural weight so he should have tried to get a fight with Tim Bradley. Failing that he could have went after Ortiz. Both of those fights would be better than Pacquiao-Marquez 3 IMO. (Although I doubt Goldenboy would have let him fight Ortiz if they thought that Mayweather wanted him).

He should have at least waited until after the Mosley fight before picking his next opponent. He claims that light-welter is his natural weight so he should have tried to get a fight with Tim Bradley. Failing that he could have went after Ortiz. Both of those fights would be better than Pacquiao-Marquez 3 IMO. (Although I doubt Goldenboy would have let him fight Ortiz if they thought that Mayweather wanted him).

The Mosely fight was a sham from the off anybody with half a clue knew it.

You'd rather see Pac obliterate Bradley who has fought no-one or done anything to suggest he could hang with Pac, not to mention that he couldnt sell tickets to his own family, before you'd have JMM? Marquez has fought Manny twice and in my book won twice. As you say Ortiz was being courted by Mayweather kind of ruling him out right away. Which, even if Bradley were, for arguments sake considered the better option, leaves by your admission only 1 superior alternative. Hardly cause enough to incur the wrath of fans I wouldn't say.

I have been very critical of both Pac and Floyds strategic matchmaking of the recent past but I'm happy with these two. Both are proper fights in my eyes, actually Mannys moreso.

Darren Barker has signed up to fight Sergio Martinez towards the end of the year. Fantastic opportunity for him but I dont give him much of a chance, Martinez is so dangerous.

Darren Barker has signed up to fight Sergio Martinez towards the end of the year. Fantastic opportunity for him but I dont give him much of a chance, Martinez is so dangerous.

Yikes.

Well Barker was looking for a step up in class, consider it done. Annihilation. He would have had a better shot a Chavez jnr.

Admirable balls though.

Whats all your thoughts on the Haye-Klitschko fight?

In all honesty im starting to go off haye. Should be a good one though, Klitschko looks in good nick.

TBH, I was thinking Klit via late stoppage or landslide points but I am now beginning to sway slightly. I love it when I cant pick a winner in a big one though, means I'll be excited come fight time.

Have you seen the HBO face off piece? Funny. If not check out. Oh and WAR Rhodes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6_ChpMcuT8

Not checked out the last few pages of the thread so dont know if Cannelo v Rhodes has had a mention yet but knowing the boxing knowledge of RM members that contribute to "the boxing thread" it prob has :thumbup:

Any way just wanted to highlight the fight.... delayed full fight sky sports 3 Sunday morning 10.00am.

Good luck Ryan after all these years he deserves this chance for a world title. Damn hard challenge away in Mexico against Golden boys next big prospect, but if he wins it will mean Britain holds 6's world title's! not bad for our little rock in North Atlantic.

Not checked out the last few pages of the thread so dont know if Cannelo v Rhodes has had a mention yet but knowing the boxing knowledge of RM members that contribute to "the boxing thread" it prob has :thumbup:

Any way just wanted to highlight the fight.... delayed full fight sky sports 3 Sunday morning 10.00am.

Good luck Ryan after all these years he deserves this chance for a world title. Damn hard challenge away in Mexico against Golden boys next big prospect, but if he wins it will mean Britain holds 6's world title's! not bad for our little rock in North Atlantic.

F*ck sake...Well that didnt quite work out how i wanted it to!

Who ever heard of a ginger f*king Mexican anyway?!! :P:D

Hope Golden Boy puts Alvarez in with a true world level opponent next so we can see just how good the kid is. Looking forward to following his progress looks like a future star.

What happened to Paul Appleby? i went to see him fight in Belfast a few year back. He was beaten for the first time and i aint heard of him since. Anyone no whats happening with him.

He got hammered in a shock defeat on a Burns undercard which set him back. TBH I think he has found his level. He is only young but looks as if decent domestic status will be his lot.