Boxing and MMA

Feels weird watching 2 fighters be so nice and humble :lol: . We've become conditioned to expect all out verbal warfare before the fight and following the fight it's all cuddles and kisses. It was a refreshing change.

Really, really liked the way AJ spoke after the fight and thanked the legends of the sport. 

7 hours ago, Vanoli said:

Joshua has two or three bursts to take you out. When he doesn't he ends up in massive trouble. Even at British title level Whyte showed it. It's all on Fury, what happened to him was terrible but to melt down the way he did shows weakness. But if he can come back, and hit the levels he did against Wlad he's so unorthodox and awkward that he'll fry Joshua's brain. 

Comfortable win for Fury if he can come through the crisis spells, Wlads age stopped him from doing so. 

But fair play to Joshua. Massive gut check, and the answer to the stamina question was incredible. Until Fury gets himself together, he's the man.

I don't think the reason why AJ nearly got Ko'd it's down to fighting in bursts. I think it's down to him being too reckless when he is trying to finish. He doesn't care what is being thrown by his opponent, he seems to only care about the finish. For me it's all about him losing focus, which you would hope improves with experience. 

If he took his time and waited for better openings, what happened last night in the 5th and 6th and against Whyte would never of happened. 

Klitschko made the opposite mistake and thought he could coast to the end of the fight when he hurt AJ. 

It's a combination of fighting in bursts and and also inexperience from Joshua, when he got caught heavily in the 6th he had also 'went for it' and emptied his tank.  He managed to hold on and a more ruthless fighter would've stopped him I think.

In saying that it was a brilliant fight for a fan and I'm sure Joshua will learn from that fight and his the potential to be remembered as one of the greats.

Thinking about it sober.

Whilst Wlad did fight better than against Fury, he did once again show again that his timing has gone. He has lost the ability to throw a punch as the gap emerges - He can't pull the trigger. No shame in it, it's a classic symptom of an aging boxer. He still has all the ring IQ, and big power.

So why did he look so much better? Well unlike Fury he did a lot of leading last night. Timing is much less important when leading, trying to set the pace, and Joshua is more stand in front fighter that allowed Wlad to do this. Against Fury he was forced to counter, against a clumsy, awkward target, who kept him tied up... and was shown to be punch shy.

Given there is no cure for "punchitis". I do not see a rematch, with a more educated (for this fight) Joshua, ending well for Wlad.

Joshua had the best lesson of his boxing career tonight, and will definitely learn from it. I still think he is the real deal, but maybe not quite as good as I thought he was - yet.

Joshua certainly isn't the total package, but there aren't too many active heavyweights that would beat him.

He will learn a lot from this fight, and he's shown his toughness if nothing else. Big result, winning in the 11th, essentially everyone had said he couldn't win after halfway.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Thinking about it sober.

Whilst Wlad did fight better than against Fury, he did once again show again that his timing has gone. He has lost the ability to throw a punch as the gap emerges - He can't pull the trigger. No shame in it, it's a classic symptom of an aging boxer. He still has all the ring IQ, and big power.

So why did he look so much better? Well unlike Fury he did a lot of leading last night. Timing is much less important when leading, trying to set the pace, and Joshua is more stand in front fighter that allowed Wlad to do this. Against Fury he was forced to counter, against a clumsy, awkward target, who kept him tied up... and was shown to be punch shy.

Given there is no cure for "punchitis". I do not see a rematch, with a more educated (for this fight) Joshua, ending well for Wlad.

Joshua had the best lesson of his boxing career tonight, and will definitely learn from it. I still think he is the real deal, but maybe not quite as good as I thought he was - yet.

His big asset is his power and no one in the how division can live with it. 

4 hours ago, King_gazza said:

Interesting scorecards, I had it Joshua up by 1 but wouldn't complain if it was even or Klitschko just ahead. 

FB_IMG_1493554819847.jpg

Is it including the 10-8, 11th round? If they do, they're not bad, if not they are a joke. 

36 minutes ago, maverick1200 said:

Is it including the 10-8, 11th round? If they do, they're not bad, if not they are a joke. 

nah, because after 11 rounds you can have 110 points, so there's no way joshua and klitschko lost that many points over 11 rounds,

tbh id have had joshua ahead after 10 rounds as well, apart from the 5th and the 6th round i say he won the rest, even the 7th he finished way stronger and had suitably recovered from his knockdown earlier in the fight

for me klitschko won only 2 rounds out of 10

1 hour ago, Creampuff said:

I had the fight at about even going into the 11th. I wasn't keeping score, so my gut tells me I probably had Klitschko slightly ahead but Joshua growing back into the fight. 

I find it easier to justify Klitschko being ahead than AJ.

Same here, I thought it was even or Klitschko was 1 up heading into the 11th. I stopped scoring in 5th when everything went to shit. 

1 hour ago, Creampuff said:

I had the fight at about even going into the 11th. I wasn't keeping score, so my gut tells me I probably had Klitschko slightly ahead but Joshua growing back into the fight. 

I find it easier to justify Klitschko being ahead than AJ.

2 minutes ago, maverick1200 said:

Same here, I thought it was even or Klitschko was 1 up heading into the 11th. I stopped scoring in 5th when everything went to shit. 

the commentator on the link i watched last night had it a draw after the 8th then joshua won the 9th and 10th, so the scorecards in the pictures seemed right to me,

4 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

the commentator on the link i watched last night had it a draw after the 8th then joshua won the 9th and 10th, so the scorecards in the pictures seemed right to me,

I'd have to watch it again and score it then. I got too involved to know what the fuck was going on. Like Creampuff, I just felt it was close to been even. 

10 hours ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Quite surprised at that. I thought Wlad had it in the bag until the stoppage.

Judges are judges. Was joshua really 7-3 up in rounds going to the 11th? You have to give him the benefit of everything to get that score.

Klitschko for me was 1 or 2 rounds up. 

9 hours ago, Da Kool Blue said:

Fury should probably fight Parker next, that gives him enough time to get back in shape. In the meantime Wilder and Joshua should fight next unless there is some issue with mandatory fights getting in the way. 

I don't think Hearn wants Wilder anywhere near AJ just now. He had publicly stated he was coming over for this fight because he wanted the winner and AJ has just blanked him to call out Fury instead. It's also a bit of a coincidence that Bellew, another matchroom fighter has put all his attention on Wilder now when he was keeping his options open just over a week ago.

I think Wilder knows he's not getting AJ any time soon too which is why he wants to fight Parker next to get his belt as he said this will strengthen his position to negotiate a unification fight with AJ further down the line.

Fury will be the money fight and less of a gamble imo. Wilder isn't the best boxer but he's definitely capable of knocking AJ out and they won't risk that yet.