Boxing and MMA

Telt u murray wasn't in the same league mr boxing expert.

The reply I gave you was for the Murray and McCallister fight if you bothered to read it correctly, I offered an opinion on how the fight would have went IMO

I never said I was a boxing expert, you judjed murray on one performance that you seen of him and judged him on it, I have not seen it yet I saw the burns and cook fight before I went to nightclub so can't offer a opinion on wether Murray was good or not.

Just watched Mitchell-Murray again today. Mitchell couldn't miss with that left uppercut and left hook. I can't see Murray going any further than this if he continues to box the same way.

Burns-Cook was one of the craziest things I have ever seen. Cook should never have been there in the first place. One 6 round fight in 2 years and a history of back problems. I feel sorry for Burns training for months for that. Warren needs to get him some decent opponents now. It's getting beyond a joke.

If Tony Bellew thinks he put on a 'masterclass' then I think somebody needs to get him a dictionary so he can look up what that word means. No chance he deserves a shot at Cleverly after that. The trash talking would be good but thats about it. Cleverly would embarrass him in a fight.

I was reading sky teletext this morning and he said he wants the ring magazine title noe and they are trying to get a fight with Fana who is the nimber 1 contender

On a side note as you know I have never been a huge Burns fan but he looked in prime condition and the shots he did land were accurate and powerful so maybe he will prove me wrong, and I think he can carry the power to lightweight.

It has surpassed it IMO.

It has truly went huge and you see all the stars at UFC events now, at the most recent event you had the likes of Bieber and Rihanna to name a few and a few years back you would never have thought it would get so big.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2011/07/06/ufc-132-vs-boxing-article-title-required/ good article about it.

In 2010 its 15 events garnered around 10million PPV buys which is really good and now the UFC's top stars(Lesnar and GSP)can almost match Mayweather and Pacquiao in terms of PPV buys.

Boxing needs to pick it up big time but I really dont know how they are going to do it.

I agree Boxing has no up and coming stars. All the exciting fighters have now taken up MMA as their sport.

I agree Boxing has no up and coming stars. All the exciting fighters have now taken up MMA as their sport.

Sorry that's balls.

Mma is on the up no-doubt. Ufc in particular is enjoying boom time but in comparison with boxing it is tiny, it is one promoter contracting all of it's guys to fight only each other. Even with all of its glaring flaws boxing is still the 800lb gorilla of combat sports. Well over a century of glorious history, 25000 active fighters world-wide, mega-stars down through the years from Jack Dempsey to Manny Pac. Even now budding superstars bubble under the surface like Yuri Gamboa, Brandon Rios, Nonito Donaire.

Unfortunately coverage of the very best of boxing is very limited in this country unless you go looking.

The prophets of doom have been predicting boxings demise for many years, the sport is run by imbeciles and charlatans and yet it still thrives. Imagine how good it could be if there was only one governing body, like Uefa is to club football.

Mma is still miles behind although gaining.

Sorry that's balls.

Mma is on the up no-doubt. Ufc in particular is enjoying boom time but in comparison with boxing it is tiny, it is one promoter contracting all of it's to only fight each other. Even with all of its glaring flaws boxing is still the 800lb gorilla of combat sports. Well over a century of glorious history, 25000 active fighters world-wide, mega-stars down through the years from Jack Dempsey to Manny Pac. Even now budding superstars bubble under the surface like Yuri Gamboa, Brandon Rios, Nonito Donaire.

Unfortunately coverage of the very best of boxing is very limited in this country unless you go looking.

The prophets of doom have been predicting boxings demise for many years, the sport is run by imbeciles and charlatans and yet it still thrives. Imagine how good it could be if there was only one governing body, like Uefa is to club football.

Mma is still miles behind although gaining.

I love both but if you think MMA is miles behind then youre seriously deluded.

Its product is so much better, everything from the actual content to its marketing.

Boxing is no doubt a very historic sport with tons of legendary fighters but in todays market it doesnt match up, it lives off a very few "superstars" who fight quite rarely.

I really dont see what is wrong with one big promotion, if Boxing was like that then it may be able to compete and you would already have had Mayweather vs Pacman.

The only real fighters in Boxing who can draw PPV buys are Pacman and Mayweather and they are not going to be around for much longer.

There is no real up and coming stars for Boxing either.

The UFC does great cards and I will sit there for 3-4 hours watching fights but if im watching Boxing i'll very rarely watch the undercard because they are usually so poor.

Once Pacquio and Mayweather retire Boxing will be in a bad way, especially in terms of PPV buys and there is no real stars like a Pacman or Mayweather coming through either.

I love both but if you think MMA is miles behind then youre seriously deluded.

Its product is so much better, everything from the actual content to its marketing.

Boxing is no doubt a very historic sport with tons of legendary fighters but in todays market it doesnt match up, it lives off a very few "superstars" who fight quite rarely.

I really dont see what is wrong with one big promotion, if Boxing was like that then it may be able to compete and you would already have had Mayweather vs Pacman.

The only real fighters in Boxing who can draw PPV buys are Pacman and Mayweather and they are not going to be around for much longer.

There is no real up and coming stars for Boxing either.

The UFC does great cards and I will sit there for 3-4 hours watching fights but if im watching Boxing i'll very rarely watch the undercard because they are usually so poor.

Once Pacquio and Mayweather retire Boxing will be in a bad way, especially in terms of PPV buys and there is no real stars like a Pacman or Mayweather coming through either.

Mma is not one big promotion either, in fact it's proliferation is worse considering they cannot legally fight each other.

I have already stated that boxing would benefit from one governing body, as would mma.

Your last paragraph is hilarious and if you don't think there are any potential superstars then you either dont know boxing or you are the deluded one. Ufc markets itself much better agreed and boxing has many flaws, definitely, but in comparison Ufc is still paper thin. 15 events per year?

I like the Ufc but it pales in comparison to boxing globally.

Mma is not one big promotion either, in fact it's proliferation is worse considering they cannot legally fight each other.

I have already stated that boxing would benefit from one governing body, as would mma.

Your last paragraph is hilarious and if you don't think there are any potential superstars then you either dont know boxing or you are the deluded one. Ufc markets itself much better agreed and boxing has many flaws, definitely, but in comparison Ufc is still paper thin. 15 events per year?

I like the Ufc but it pales in comparison to boxing globally.

MMA has the majority of the best fighters tho, thats what I am meaning. Of course it isnt one promotion but the UFC is the only huge promotion in MMA.

There are many awesome fighters outside of the UFC but the UFC is THE MMA promotion.

Name them ? who has the potential to be the next Mayweather/Pacman.

Yes the UFC is paper thin compared to Boxing....because youre comparing a Sport to a promotion ffs, but those 15 events a year outshine Boxing by far both in terms of PPV buys and the actual content youre getting.

I don't really see UFC as an alternative to boxing. UFC is the alternative to wrestling, same demographics.

Dont be silly.

It competes with both but MMA vs Boxing is the big topic for most people.

I dont really see much competition right now tho.

MMA has the majority of the best fighters tho, thats what I am meaning. Of course it isnt one promotion but the UFC is the only huge promotion in MMA.

There are many awesome fighters outside of the UFC but the UFC is THE MMA promotion.

Name them ? who has the potential to be the next Mayweather/Pacman.

Yes the UFC is paper thin compared to Boxing....because youre comparing a Sport to a

promotion ffs, but those 15 events a year outshine Boxing by far both in terms of PPV buys and the actual content youre getting.

So what are we comparing to boxing here Ufc or Mma? You are saying 15 Ufc events eclipses the entire sport of boxings ppv buys, so.

I gave you three potential names in my first post to you.

Ufc does a good job, competive undercards are one plus. The reason boxing has this problem is not due to lack of talent but the morons in charge. Just like over the last 100 years the sport will continue to breed mega stars. Ufc, Mma whatever, has yet to produce one.

Dont be silly.

It competes with both but MMA vs Boxing is the big topic for most people.

I dont really see much competition right now tho.

I'm not so sure. When the average wrestling fan realises it's not real (approx 26 years old) they need something equally homo-erotic to fill the void. That's why UFC was invented.

Boxing is a sport, it's in the olympics you know :pipe:

So what are we comparing to boxing here Ufc or Mma? You are saying 15 Ufc events eclipses the entire sport of boxings ppv buys, so.

I gave you three potential names in my first post to you.

Ufc does a good job, competive undercards are one plus. The reason boxing has this problem is not due to lack of talent but the morons in charge. Just like over the last 100 years the sport will continue to breed mega stars. Ufc, Mma whatever, has yet to produce one.

Dunno about that.

Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture were stars back in the day and right now you have Lesnar doing 1 million+ PPVs every event and GSP is hitting around 800,000 as is Silva.

Then there is the likes of Jon Jones who is only 23 and is becoming an absolute star and Cain Velasquez who just dominated Lesnar.

There are many more.

I know of Gamboa but the other 2 I really dont know who they are.

Boxing isnt anywhere near dead but it needs to get its act together IMO, right now the UFC is continuing to grow while Boxing recently had one of the superfights which was going to revive the sport and it was awful.

It needs Pacman vs Mayweather.

The British Boxing scene is very good tho, Froch vs Ward will be great.

Dunno about that.

Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture were stars back in the day and right now you have Lesnar doing 1 million+ PPVs every event and GSP is hitting around 800,000 as is Silva.

Then there is the likes of Jon Jones who is only 23 and is becoming an absolute star and Cain Velasquez who just dominated Lesnar.

There are many more.

I know of Gamboa but the other 2 I really dont know who they are.

Boxing isnt anywhere near dead but it needs to get its act together IMO, right now the UFC is continuing to grow while Boxing recently had one of the superfights which was going to

revive the sport and it was awful.

It needs Pacman vs Mayweather.

The British Boxing scene is very good tho, Froch vs Ward will be great.

The sport doesn't need reviving, it needs organised.

Check out Nonito Donaire.

Don't worry if Gaye/Klit was shit, Froch v Ward might be tactical and even though Mayweather Pac will happen, we don't need it. There are tonnes of amazing fights which just don't get air time here, then one gets hyped up and all the casual fans take notice only for it to bomb. Cue the boxing is finished cries.

Anyway I'm away to bed.

So then, who is your pick for:

Chisora vs. Fury?

and

Khan vs. Judah?

Chisora and Fury is one I don;t know how it will go thb, both are pretty shit IMO

I expect Khan to take care of business against a tricky opponent, don't expect fireworks from this one

So then, who is your pick for:

Chisora vs. Fury?

and

Khan vs. Judah?

Chisora and Khan for me, Judahs best are well behind and I dont think he has the stomach for it these days. I think he will be dangerous for 4 rounds then Khan all the way home. Dont rate Fury tbh, Chisora by late stoppage.

Britain's Carl Froch will fight American Andre Ward in the final of the Super Six boxing classic on 29 October in Atlantic City.

Froch, 34, will defend his WBC super-middleweight title against unbeaten Ward, who himself is the WBA champion.

The Nottingham fighter made the final after beating Glen Johnson in June.

Froch's promoters Matchroom Sport also confirmed to BBC Sport the date and venue for the fight.

The fight will take place at the Boardwalk Hall and will see two of the four super-middleweight titles unified. Lucian Bute (IBF) and Robert Stieglitz (WBO) hold the other two belts.

"Going into a fight of this magnitude, I expect the toughest fight of my career," said Ward, a 2004 Olympic gold medallist.

"The Super Six has given me the opportunity to fight the best and, so far, I've been fortunate to beat the best.

"It's also given me the chance to do what I've always wanted to do and that's become undisputed champion. This fight brings me closer."

The winner of October's fight is then expected to meet Bute with the super-middleweight division being unified further.

"Not only is it for two world titles, but it's for the tournament trophy and The Ring belt is also on the line," said Froch.

"It makes this the biggest and the most prestigious fight to happen for as far back as I can remember.

"This has been a fantastic tournament. It has produced some amazing fights in our division, fights that certainly would not have happened otherwise. For the final, we have a great fight between two superior athletes."

Froch is aware how difficult October's fight is going to be against the unbeaten 27-year-old.

But the Nottingham fighter believes that his power will prove too much for the American.

"Ward is a boxer and mover who can be messy up close," said Froch.

"I can box when I need to and I have proven time and again that I can fight with the best of them. I have my natural fitness, a big heart, experience at the top level and the ability to take a punch.

"My punching power is far superior to Ward's. This will prove to be the deciding factor."

They are both dreadful! I'm going Fury just because I think he can hit hard enough to trouble Del Boy. God knows how Chisora came so close to a Klitschko fight.

That was just Klitschko taking more easy pay days and will again

Haye was the only one either of them could fight and make any real money, now they will go back to paying opponents like chisora Ā£200,000 for a fight

Did anyone catch that wanker Matthew Wright this morning? He had Tyson Fury on the show and was trying to argue that boxing is not a sport. To be fair to Fury he put his argument across pretty well and the other two people on the show fully backed him, as did most of the people who called in. Wrights arguments were so fucking simplistic I have to wonder how on earth he ever got a tv show. 'If it was done on the street it would be GBH' seemed to be the main one, yet when Fury and the other people pointed out that if you hit someone with a cricket bat or rugby tackled them on the street it would also count as an assault he really had no answer.

And some good news, for me anyway, Tarver just won me Ā£280 out in oz. He was the final piece of an accumulator.

Result, was well needed after a full football season of coupons and not 1 win.