David Healy to sign by the weekend

Amac9

STV understands Rangers are closing in on a loan move for Sunderland striker David Healy. The Northern Ireland international, who recently completed a loan spell with Doncaster Rovers from the English Premier League club, is in advanced discussions with Walter Smith's team over a transfer to Ibrox until the end of the season.

The 31-year-old, who has scored 35 goals for his country in 84 appearances, hasn't played for the Black Cats since an appearance in an FA Cup match against Portsmouth in January 2010 and spent the latter part of last season on loan at Ipswich Town, scoring one goal in 12 appearances.

At Doncaster, Healy played on eight occasions in a two month spell from November to January 4 this year at the Keepmoat Stadium, scoring on his debut against Millwall and in his third game away to Portsmouth.

Healy's contract with Sunderland expires at the end of the season, paving the way for Rangers to sign the player on a permanent basis in the summer if he impresses.

The reigning SPL champions have been in the market for a replacement for Kenny Miller, who scored 21 SPL goals before departing for Turkish club Bursaspor earlier in the transfer window.

Healy, who famously scored the winner for Northern Ireland in a 1-0 win at Windsor Park against England in September 2005, spoke previously of his desire to move to Rangers last summer, saying his loyalties towards the club would attract him to Glasgow.

“If Rangers came knocking I would certainly not be saying no,” he told the BBC in June. “I have been linked with going to Rangers for four or five years now.

“It has been well documented that I grew up supporting Rangers and my dad is a big Rangers fan, but that does not mean I am ever going to end up playing there.”

Healy started his career as a youngster at Manchester United, making one appearance in an English League Cup game against Aston Villa in October 1999. He subsequently had loan spells at Port Vale and Preston North End, before switching on a permanent basis to Deepdale in 2001.

After 44 goals in 155 appearances during a three-and-a-half stay, during which time he had two loan spells with Norwich City, a move to Leeds United followed in 2004. A three year spell at Elland Road yielded 31 goals in 121 games, before a £1.5 million switch to the English top flight to play for Fulham in July 2007.

Thirty-four games and six goals later, Sunderland paid £1.2 for his services after a year at Craven Cottage. But Healy has failed to make a single Premier League start during his time at the Stadium of Light, scoring once in 13 league substitute appearances and scoring twice in eight cup outings.

A deadline day loan spell at Ipswich Town followed on February 1 last year, in which Healy scored once in 12 games. Having failed to break into the team on his return to Sunderland, he spent two months on loan at Doncaster from November to January this year, scoring two goals in eight games.

But it is at international level Healy has earned a reputation for being a potent threat in attack, bagging 35 goals in 84 appearances for Northern Ireland. Aside from his famed match winning strike against England six years ago, the striker has also scored a hat-trick in a win over Spain, as well as scoring against the likes of Denmark, Sweden and Germany.

I can't be arsed going through the thread but have you changed your mind? :sherlock:

:lol: I didn't think I'd posted yet earlier...was a page 28 introduction I think...is this even real? Can't believe there's a genuine david healy transfer thread...I'm ok with it. Unless like weeblue suggests iv spoken to the contrary in the early thread stages...in which case I retract one of my statements

Well david if your reading this If you sign you will get my backing. Play yer heart out for the club , give your all and score a few goals and do the flute celebration and i will be happy (tu):crabflute:

:lol: I didn't think I'd posted yet earlier...was a page 28 introduction I think...is this even real? Can't believe there's a genuine david healy transfer thread...I'm ok with it. Unless like weeblue suggests iv spoken to the contrary in the early thread stages...in which case I retract one of my statements

:lol:

Nah... I'm pissed.. probably gettin' you mixed up with someone else.

It is true though.. as far as I know.( About healy i mean)

:lol:

Nah... I'm pissed.. probably gettin' you mixed up with someone else.

It is true though.. as far as I know.( About healy i mean)

There are no other Darche's on RM!

Well should it be true, I'm OK with it.

Someone mentioned Riordan above - that I wouldn't be cool with, not that I think we would even consider him. Would rather have Clayton Donaldson, but just for the name.