The Way Forward

Blues Brother

i think the way forward for us is I'm afraid to say is to drop weir.

the reason we play so deep is to protect Weir and his lack of pace. our full backs don't get forward because if the do weir could be exposed.we are fearful of the ball over the top, so we then defend to deep. usually on edge of the box.

We are also losing one of our attacking options in whittaker (don't laugh} but i think he is at his best when allowed to push on down the right, but is not allowed to do this often enough because of weir.

i believe this is our main problem not the middle of the park.

thoughts????

the reason we play so deep is to protect Weir and his lack of pace. our full backs don't get forward because if the do weir could be exposed.we are fearful of the ball over the top, so we then defend to deep. usually on edge of the box.

We are also losing one of our attacking options in whittaker (don't laugh} but i think he is at his best when allowed to push on down the right, but is not allowed to do this often enough because of weir.

thoughts????

We are playing far too deep with Weir in the team. Edu was rank today but he was also trying to cover the defense which McCulloch normally has to do.

Time for Davie Weir to be a bit part player from now on IMO

Weir is not our biggest or only problem, we have more problems in the management office than in the players roster.

(tu)

surely this is a major problem because it has meant the whole flow of the team is wrong as so many players are covering for him. i.e whittaker & papac. also the def mid.

Of course the management team could/should act on this but there is noway walter smith put that team out to play as defensively as they did.

surely this is a major problem because it has meant the whole flow of the team is wrong as so many players are covering for him. i.e whittaker & papac. also the def mid.

Of course the management team could/should act on this but there is noway walter smith put that team out to play as defensively as they did.

Its a problem, yes, but its not our biggest problem i dont think, our coaches look clueless during games, they dont seem able to change anything.

I think he did, its how he likes his teams to play, defensive and negative. Kill the game, nulify the opposition.

:(

thoughts????

Agreed. I posted the same at the start of the season. Spot on about the full backs. They end up playing too narrow because they have to give the CDs cover, so we're getting done out wide on a regular basis.Whittaker is an attacking threat but he's not being used to his full potential. As other guys have said, DWs time is up but WS is not going to drop him anytime soon. Reminds me of the year we were going for 10 in a row......

Its a problem, yes, but its not our biggest problem i dont think, our coaches look clueless during games, they dont seem able to change anything.

I think he did, its how he likes his teams to play, defensive and negative. Kill the game, nulify the opposition.

:(

Walter doesnt know how to change the game, he only knows how to change players.

I was all for Ally to get the job but now I'm having serious doubts. Its not just about today it goes back to the Co-Op Final last year when Walter 'kicked him out the way' and took charge in the technical area at Hampden when we went down to nine men. The exact same thing happened against Motherwell at Hampden last week - Walter come down, took charge and Ally stood back with head down like a frightened schoolboy. That sight did not fill me with enthusiasm for next season.

Today at Ibrox, we had them by the throat - and we let them go. It was sickening to watch.

Walter doesnt know how to change the game, he only knows how to change players.

I was all for Ally to get the job but now I'm having serious doubts. Its not just about today it goes back to the Co-Op Final last year when Walter 'kicked him out the way' and took charge in the technical area at Hampden when we went down to nine men. The exact same thing happened against Motherwell at Hampden last week - Walter come down, took charge and Ally stood back with head down like a frightened schoolboy. That sight did not fill me with enthusiasm for next season.

Today at Ibrox, we had them by the throat - and we let them go. It was sickening to watch.

Ally is not a Rangers manager and i really hope he doesnt get the job in the summer. In the last 4 years, despite winning cups against mediocre opposition, his teams in the cup have consistantly been very poor. The 2 hard cup games we had, Celtic in the final and Dundee Utd away, we lost!

It sure was Stuart. :(

(tu)

Ally is not a Rangers manager and i really hope he doesnt get the job in the summer. In the last 4 years, despite winning cups against mediocre opposition, his teams in the cup have consistantly been very poor. The 2 hard cup games we had, Celtic in the final and Dundee Utd away, we lost!

It sure was Stuart. :(

(tu)

the thing about mccoist is that throughout his career he has been the luckiest, most fortunate, jammyest bastard in the world of football.

everything he has touched has turned to gold.

maybe this is something that is just meant to be. and just what we need.

the thing about mccoist is that throughout his career he has been the luckiest, most fortunate, jammyest bastard in the world of football.

everything he has touched has turned to gold.

maybe this is something that is just meant to be. and just what we need.

I wouldnt like our future relying on fate or luck though mate.

fair point there. but who would you have instead?

i don't think there are to many out there

Right now, someone who can stand upto the LBG would be ideal, someone who could match and exceed his passion and aggression, someone who wants to win matches, someone with the ambition that befits a club of our stature, someone who wants his team to attack no matter who they play, someone whos teams entertain. Thats the boxes i would like ticked. We get most of them sorted we will be untouchable in this league, when it comes ot Europe i would like us to have a go, just go out and see where 'Rangers attacking' takes us.

Names? I dont know...........its all about opinions, with so many fans we are bound to have a huge split on preferences, i like these 3

Billy Davies

Ian Holloway

Paul Lambert

I think those 3 tick most of the boxes. Within our budget and with years ahead of them. I dont know, im just a fan, my and our opinion doesnt really matter sadly.

(tu)

thoughts????

Good post and welcome to RM

Whittaker causes more problems than Weir imo, so does Edu, both terrible

i feel some sympathy with edu. there is no way he is a def mid. why we use him in this role is beyond me.

i don't think this type of mid is needed.

its only needed because we are to slow at cb. to ask edu (a decent box to box midfielder) to play the holding role is unfair.

if we could take the shackles off whittaker and allow him to do what he's good at, which is attacking then the whole balance of the team would be better. the only way to do that is to drop weir and play a quicker cb.

if you look at the modern game and indeed the past 20 years, attacking full backs are crucial. alves, glen johnson, cole, hell even the tims play with attacking full backs. that was the diference in todays game. other names from our own past the likes of numan, robertson, stevens and hutton.

whittaker is a good attacking full back. that is what we signed him to be.