***Champions League Last 16 Thread***

bluenose_72

Tottenham playmaker Rafael Van der Vaart expects tonight's Champions League encounter with Milan to be a “very open game.”

The 28-year-old Holland international is doubtful to start at San Siro and faces a late fitness test for the first leg of this second round match.

Interviewed in La Gazzetta dell Sport, he said: “It's a very open game but we have beaten Inter and know that we can also beat Milan.

“Playing the second leg at home gives us a big advantage. I believe that everyone fears coming to play at White Hart Lane.”

Asked about his past with Zlatan Ibrahimovic, he said: “It's true, we've had some problems, but we have both grown up.

“All I can say about Zlatan is that he is a great player.”

Reflecting on his decision to join Tottenham in the summer, Van der Vaart insisted: “Spurs are a team who play good football and have many great players.

“If we play together for a few more years we can become a great team.”

Milan boss Massimiliano Allegri has picked a 19-man squad for Tuesday’s Champions League test against Tottenham.

Allegri has limited options given that January signings such as Mark Van Bommel and Antonio Cassano are cup-tied, while numerous players are injured.

Among those on the treatment table are Gianluca Zambrotta, Massimo Ambrosini, Andrea Pirlo, Pippo Inzaghi and Kevin-Prince Boateng.

Milan squad: Abbiati, Amelia, Abate, Antonini, Jankulovski, Legrottaglie, Nesta, Oddo, Papastathopoulos, Thiago Silva, Yepes, Flamini, Gattuso, Merkel, Seedorf, Strasser, Ibrahimovic, Pato, Robinho.

As you can see, Milan are down to the bare bones in midfield.

Abbiati

Abate Nesta T Silva Antonini

Flamini Seedorf Gattuso

Robinho

Ibrahimovic Pato

I'm expecting to see something like that. Allegri has often played Seedorf in the "Pirlo role" this season and I can see him doing that tonight.

Arsenal v Barcelona :drool: :drool: :drool:

My two favourite teams other than The Rangers :)

Hope AC Milan absolutely do spuds! Used to like Milan in the Shevchenko days, and Spurs are a pathetic little club.

Inter v Munich should be good, Munich are my Fifa team atm, so c'mon Bayern :lol:

If Spurs can get the ball wide, then they can really cause Milan some problems. The midfield's narrow, and Abate and Antonini, I don't really rate that highly. Lucky for Milan that Bale's out.

I think there's a possibility Spurs might get stage fright too. A slow start, and Milan have the quality to punish them. In fact, that front three is so talented that it can punish Tottenham in the blink of an eye.

Going to be a really interesting game anyway :)

Gabriele Marcotti posted on his twitter that Allegri might go with Thiago Silva in front of the back 4 and Yepes at centre back. That would mean Seedorf behind the front 2 of Ibrahimovic and Robinho.

But you're spot on about Milan's lack of width. Even though Milan have played like this for years, they have been helped by having world class full backs with the likes of Maldini, Cafu, Jankulovski and Zambrotta. Like yourself, I don't rate Antonini and Abate.

AC Milan: Abbiati; Abate, Nesta, Yepes, Antonini; Thiago Silva, Gattuso, Flamini, Seedorf; Robinho, Ibrahimovic

Bench: Amelia, Pato, Sokratis, Oddo, Jankulovski, Merkel, Legrotagglie

Tottenham: Gomes; Corluka, Gallas, Dawson, Assou Ekotto; Lennon, Van Der Vaart, Palacios, Sandro, Pienaar; Crouch

Bench: Cudicini, Pavyluchenko, Modric, Defoe, Bassong, Kranjcar, Woodgate

I think Spurs might win this. I'll reluctantly go for Spurs to win 2-1 or 3-2.

Great result for Tottenham last night, they really showed they can go toe-to-toe with Europe's big guns.

Although in saying Milan were extremely poor. Can see nothing other than Tottenham progressing into the next round.

Arsenal vs Barcelona tonight is going to be nothing less than a cracker. I am absolutely gutted I'm only going to see the last 20 minutes or so as I'm working till 9 tonight, but what a game it'll be.

I reckon Barca will win by the a couple of goals tonight, however I won't be overly surprised if Arsenal win this one.