The MMA News Thread

Tam3r0wn

UFN 24 tonight, with 5 free fights on facebook starting at 12.30am

Facebook Prelims

Should be a good card. Im looking forward to seeing Hardy vs Rumble, Zombie vs Garcia and Morecraft vs McCorkle.

My Picks - Lentz, Hendricks, Simpson, Morecraft, McDonald, Hathaway, Russow, Semerzier, Zombie, Johnson, Hardy and Nog.

I take it that this Jones guy is going to be a big deal then?

As an outsider looking in it looks like he's going to be the so called poster child for UFC.

Very big deal.

Youngest UFC champion ever, so much potential and is crazy athletic plus he's articulate, charismatic and confident.

Was on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno this week and pretty much nailed his performance. Will be the next superstar.

I take it that this Jones guy is going to be a big deal then?

As an outsider looking in it looks like he's going to be the so called poster child for UFC.

Definitely.

Absolutely manhandled one of the greatest Light Heavyweights ever.

He also has natural charisma and has just been on the tonight show which is massive in America and is the first UFC fighter to appear on it.

Still nowhere near Brock Lesnar and the way he is used by the UFC tho.

He's from New York and only started training MMA three years ago.

Came in as a late replacement to fight a journeyman called Andre Gusmao and was expected to lose but dominated him and has been on a streak since.

Wasn't supposed to fight for the title this early but Rashad Evans got injured and he got asked after his last fight in February to take the fight against Shogun.

Jones vs. Evans will be a great build-up. They used to be training partners and they said they wouldn't fight each other until Jones said in an interview that he would. Now Evans has left Greg Jackson's camp and is calling Jones "Judas Jones".

Jones totally dominated Shogun John Jones is a freak with his reach and wrestling.I would love to see Jones vs Machida or Rampage as I feel bones will handle Rashad easily enough.Wee bit off topic but does anyone remember when Dan Hardy beat "Plastic Paddy" Marcus Davis? he went up even more in my estimation for that lol.

Lay and pray :anguish:

What a shite knockdown in the first round.

What next for Hardy? 3 losses in a row, but in fairness GSP and Condit are high level. There are too many elite wrestlers at the top of his weight class for him to reach the dizzy heights again.

They need to give him someone who will stand and bang (although he'll need to be careful after Condit!). Amir Sadollah? Paulo Thiago? Thiago Alves??

Lay and pray :anguish:

What a shite knockdown in the first round.

What next for Hardy? 3 losses in a row, but in fairness GSP and Condit are high level. There are too many elite wrestlers at the top of his weight class for him to reach the dizzy heights again.

They need to give him someone who will stand and bang (although he'll need to be careful after Condit!). Amir Sadollah? Paulo Thiago? Thiago Alves??

Hardy is angling for a fight with Chris Lytle on twitter. Can see it happening, Hardy gets his walking papers if he loses, Lytle retires if he does. Everyone knows what Lytle brings to the fight. Would be a cracker IMO.

Hardy is angling for a fight with Chris Lytle on twitter. Can see it happening, Hardy gets his walking papers if he loses, Lytle retires if he does. Everyone knows what Lytle brings to the fight. Would be a cracker IMO.

I was going to suggest Lytle actually (tu)

No way Hardy could knock him out though so he'd have to grind out a decision. A tough ask with your UFC career on the line!

Alves would beat Hardy all ends up. Paulo Thiago's BJJ is too good for Hardy and I think Sadollah would be the only one that Hardy could possibly beat.

He'd have to choke him unconscious then :lol:

Hardy is a beast.

He'd have to choke him unconscious then :lol:

Hardy is a beast.

Hardy's ground game is terribly shit, though. Absolutely dominated for 25 minutes by GSP and by an Anthony Johnson who hadn't fought in 1 year and 3 months. I think on another day, Hardy could beat Condit though.

Quite a stigma with British fighters. Seems to be only Bisping and Hathaway that can roll with the big boys. Winner, Hardy, Daley and to an extent, Pearson are all pretty shit off their backs.

Hardy's ground game is terribly shit, though. Absolutely dominated for 25 minutes by GSP and by an Anthony Johnson who hadn't fought in 1 year and 3 months. I think on another day, Hardy could beat Condit though.

Quite a stigma with British fighters. Seems to be only Bisping and Hathaway that can roll with the big boys. Winner, Hardy, Daley and to an extent, Pearson are all pretty shit off their backs.

Most fighters would probably look shit off their back against an elite wrestler who's at least a weight class above them - other than high level BJJ fighters. I thought Hardy looked alright off his back (until the end of the fight) in terms of avoiding damage and actively looking for submissions. He was awful in the sense he couldn't get up / sweep, but there probably aren't many who could in that situation.

These Brits need to either take the jump and work on their wrestling long-term in the US with the best coaches / sparring partners.

Johnson hardly layed and prayed. Went for submissions, hot with big punches on the ground. Not Johnson's fault that Hardy couldn't get back up.

He only really committed to a few in the last round and didn't hit Hardy with many big shots. The guy admitted after the fight that he'd been playing safe to "get the W". Hardy's face was hardly a mess after the fight.

The only shots he got in where to his side when Hardy was going for yet another kimura.

He only really committed to a few in the last round and didn't hit Hardy with many big shots. The guy admitted after the fight that he'd been playing safe to "get the W". Hardy's face was hardly a mess after the fight.

The only shots he got in where to his side when Hardy was going for yet another kimura.

By all means, he wasn't gung ho but I don't think he layed and prayed. I'm pretty sure he meant that in terms of going for takedowns rather than striking with Hardy.

By all means, he wasn't gung ho but I don't think he layed and prayed. I'm pretty sure he meant that in terms of going for takedowns rather than striking with Hardy.

I'm just upset that he didn't stand there and let Dan knock him the fuck out :)

But in all honesty, if you're a wrestler why would you stand and trade with a boxer / muay thai fighter....

I'm just upset that he didn't stand there and let Dan knock him the fuck out :)

But in all honesty, if you're a wrestler why would you stand and trade with a boxer / muay thai fighter....

I'm a Hardy fan as well but I can understand why a guy who has basically not worked in over a year wanted a win bonus.

It's the Jorge Gurgel syndrome. Excellent BJJ but loves striking even though he mostly loses against guys like KJ Noons.