The MMA News Thread

Tam3r0wn

Sorry bud.

Agreed that being bigger doesn't always equal stronger but in the case of Anderson, his strength is understated imo. In the clinch, he ragdolled Rich Franklin (a decent sized 205'er). I'd say he was naturally stronger than GSP but I think GSp could take him down.

Fluctuating between fights can't be good for him though. The best example of that has to be Roy Jones Jr. Penn's in the Couture mould whilst GSP is smarter and wants to become a proper MW who can stay there for years. Also, Penn has fought at WW before and looked horrible and undersized. He was done in the 3rd against Fitch. Was done against GSP in their rematch and in the 2nd Hughes fight.

True. We will find out one day hopefully. GSP for the win.

He has to get through Diaz first anyway, that brings its own problems.

I think he'll win but I'm glad his next fight is against someone who will threaten him on the feet and on the ground.

I think he will take the win, the key for me though is how he manages to dictate the pace of the fight.

Both fighters make their opponents fight at their pace. Wont be easy for either guy to control.

I think he will take the win, the key for me though is how he manages to dictate the pace of the fight.

Both fighters make their opponents fight at their pace. Wont be easy for either guy to control.

Yeah definitely but Diaz likes to fight a really fast pace and I don't think GSP will let him. Few strikes then transition into the takedown.

Guida's lack of activity :anguish: I hate how refs think he is being busy just because he moves around and his hair is swinging about. Does my head in.

Pettis needs to improve his takedown defense. A fight with Edgar or Maynard would have been worse but 10 minutes longer.

Just like GSP :P

Expected Pettis to defend the takedowns better. Thought he was going to pull it out of the bag when he took his back in the third but it wasn't to be.

Nice KOs from Ferguson, Herman and Jorgensen!

I'm glad Guida won. Pettis had the wrong attitude, he assumed he was just going to walk into a title shot.

Also, the little 'Who lands first' promo's for Dos Santos vs Carwin were brilliant. I can't wait for this fight now.

Pettis could have taken a year off and fought the winner of Edgar/Maynard but he decided to fight a really good fighter like Clay Guida. I don't see how that's the wrong attitude.

Pettis could have taken a year off and fought the winner of Edgar/Maynard but he decided to fight a really good fighter like Clay Guida. I don't see how that's the wrong attitude.

Are you seriously saying a top-level professional fighter should be praised for not taking a year out to preserve his no1 contender status?

The way he was talking in the promos seemed like he was just treating this as a tune-up fight and was looking beyond it to a fight with edgar or maynard, which is always a disrespectful thing to do.

Are you seriously saying a top-level professional fighter should be praised for not taking a year out to preserve his no1 contender status?

The way he was talking in the promos seemed like he was just treating this as a tune-up fight and was looking beyond it to a fight with edgar or maynard, which is always a disrespectful thing to do.

No but his attitude is significantly better than someone like Rashad Evans.

Because he was the no. 1 contender before Maynard and Edgar drew. The deal was to have the WEC champ fight the UFC champ so given the circumstances, I think his attitude was fine.

Whats the predictions for tomorrow night then?

I think Carwin has a good chance of knocking him out in the first round but if it goes beyond that then I think Dos Santos has it in the bag. Carwin says he's on a new conditioning program and has changed his diet but I still think he'll gas early.

I really hope JDS takes him out. Be interesting to see if Carwin comes out swinging like a maniac after it cost him the title. If he comes out wind-milling then one of them is saying goodnight before the end of the first round!

Looking forward to it more than I was the JDS - Brock fight.

I really hope JDS takes him out. Be interesting to see if Carwin comes out swinging like a maniac after it cost him the title. If he comes out wind-milling then one of them is saying goodnight before the end of the first round!

Looking forward to it more than I was the JDS - Brock fight.

I think it's too late for him to learn how to fight any other way. He'll do what he usually does.

-Junior Dos Santos (12-1; #4 Heavyweight)* vs. Shane Carwin (12-1; #8 Heavyweight)*

-Kenny Florian (13-5; #8 Lightweight)* vs. Diego Nunes (16-1; #4 Featherweight)*

-Jon Oliv Einemo (7-1) vs. Dave Herman (20-2)

-Demian Maia (14-2; #4 Middleweight) vs. Mark Munoz (10-2)

-Donald Cerrone (14-3) vs. Vagner Rocha (6-1)

Preliminary Bouts (On Spike TV):

-Sam Stout (16-6-1) vs. Yves Edwards (40-16-1)

-Jesse Bongfeldt (21-7-1) vs. Chris Weidman (5-0)

Preliminary Bouts:

-Krzysztof Soszynski (25-11-1) vs. Mike Massenzio (12-4)

-Nick Ring (11-0) vs. James Head (7-1)

-Dustin Poirier (9-1; #6 Featherweight) vs. Jason Young (8-3)

-Joey Beltran (12-5) vs. Aaron Rosa (16-3)

-Michihiro Omigawa (12-9-1) vs. Darren Elkins (12-2)

Seems to be a bit of support for Maia in here? Can't see him taking Munoz down and he's shite on his feet. Only way I can see him winning is a sub off his back.

Munoz KO for me :wink:

He subbed Sonnen in about a minute and Kendall Grove was close to submitting Munoz a few times. Really close fight but I'm picking Demian :D

He subbed Sonnen in about a minute and Kendall Grove was close to submitting Munoz a few times. Really close fight but I'm picking Demian :D

Yeah his BJJ is outstanding! Wouldn't have thought Munoz would be careless enough to spend much time on the ground but you never know....

Yeah his BJJ is outstanding! Wouldn't have thought Munoz would be careless enough to spend much time on the ground but you never know....

All it might take is for them to clinch and Maia to pull guard. I think Munoz has a really good chance of winning but I can't pick against some with his BJJ against a wrestler with limited stand up.

All it might take is for them to clinch and Maia to pull guard. I think Munoz has a really good chance of winning but I can't pick against some with his BJJ against a wrestler with limited stand up.

Indeed. Although I think Munoz' stand-up is alright. Fairly heavy hands!