Ally McCoist officially named as Rangers manager next season.

disgruntled_bear

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would any new owner with any ambition put a clueless novice in charge of such a big institution?

I don't think you can call McCoist a "clueless novice".

Like it or not, he has been under Smith's wing for the past 3 years. He's hardly a novice.

If he's a shit manager, it's because he's a shit manager. It's not because he never had any guidance.

I think he'll do well.

i for 1 am glad super ally is getting the chance. hes served his 4 yr appretice and deserves it.

no matter who got the job. next season is going to be a major rebuilding 1 and it may take us 1 or 2 years

to get back to winning ways.

i hope ally is given the chance to rebuild and dnt judge him on his first season.

Ally, who scored 355 goals in 581 matches during a hugely successful playing career at Ibrox, has agreed a one-year rolling contract and will become the 13th man to manage the Club at the end of the current campaign with Kenny McDowall his assistant.

Since joining Walter's backroom team in 2007 as assistant manager, the club has won six trophies and reached the UEFA Cup Final and Ally has played an important role in this success.

Rangers chief executive Martin Bain said: "We are delighted to confirm Ally as our next Manager when Walter Smith steps down at the end of the season.

"First and foremost Ally is a passionate Rangers supporter who has been a loyal servant to the Club both as a player and more recently Assistant Manager. He has contributed greatly to our success over the past four years and that is why we feel he is the right man to replace Walter.

"When Ally joined Walter as his assistant in January 2007 he was always being groomed as the next Manager. He is the unanimous choice of the Rangers Board to take the Club forward next season and when I offered him the position in December - during our Champions League trip to Bursaspor - he agreed immediately.

"Walter Smith is rightly regarded as one of the most successful managers in our proud history and what he has achieved during the 9-in-a-row years and more recently in his second spell as Manager is nothing short of remarkable.

"I am sure the supporters would join me in thanking him for his commitment and loyalty and I know he will work tirelessly to continue the Club's success in the remaining months of the campaign."

McCoist said: "It was an honour to pull on the Rangers jersey during my playing career, I have enjoyed working with Walter, Kenny McDowall, Ian Durrant and the backroom team as Assistant Manager and to be confirmed as the next Rangers Manager is a dream come true.

"Over the past few years I have been privileged to learn from one of the greatest managers in world football and Walter's record speaks for itself.

"The success he brought to Rangers during 9-in-a-row and the last four years in difficult times has been unbelievable and he has rightly gained the respect of everyone in the game.

"I am delighted to be following in his footsteps and I will do everything possible to bring further success to this Club. I have said it many times, Rangers is a special Club with a great history and tradition and this is the proudest day of my career.

"The fans have backed me for almost 20 years as a player and Assistant Manager and as a lifelong Rangers supporter myself I look forward to rewarding their loyalty by bringing silverware to our Club."

Why would any new owner with any ambition put a clueless novice in charge of such a big institution?

have some respect man, come on.

Also i would agree that if anything it would put the takeover in more doubt, because this seems to be the 'business as usual' plan. Although no-one knows what's going on. Will be watching the conference with great interest anyway.

I don't think you can call McCoist a "clueless novice".

Like it or not, he has been under Smith's wing for the past 3 years. He's hardly a novice.

If he's a shit manager, it's because he's a shit manager. It's not because he never had any guidance.

I think he'll do well.

Why not? Thats exactly what he is. What other club has he managed? What are his credentials? Simply working under our current manager who is under so much scrutiny? Not good enough.

I think it will end in disaster, the whole management team should have left together. This isnt Walter taking over from a Souness, Ally wont be able to buy himself titles or trophies.

Im gutted. Clear lack of ambition, the cheap and easy choice.