• Marseille's 1993 triumph tainted by bribery allegations

o

o Share

o Reddit

o Buzz up

* Marcus Christenson

* The Guardian, Wednesday 23 February 2011

* Article history

Mark Hately Mark Hateley played for Rangers between 1990 and 1995 as well as in 1997. Photograph: Shaun Botterill/Allsport

Mark Hateley has revealed he was offered cash not to play in a crucial Champions League game for Rangers against the eventual winners Marseille in 1993.

The French team's success in the tournament was later tainted by revelations that they had bribed their opponents Valenciennes in the league before the Champions League final.

Hateley, speaking in an interview to be broadcast on ITV before the Marseille-Manchester United game on Wednesday night, said: "It was a friend of a friend, who had got in touch via certain routes, basically asking me not to play. It would be financially rewarding for you, he said, not to play in the Marseille game.

"It was a French-speaking person, offering me large sums of money not to play against Marseille. It points the finger at a person, or persons, working within that club not wanting me to play."

Hateley still missed the match because of suspension and Rangers finished one point behind Marseille in the group.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/23/mark-hateley-rangers-marseille

Just remembered about that, have we, Mark? Fucking attention whore..

Loved him as a player, but honestly I can't be arsed with him at all now. His column in the Record is predictable garbage.

Even Goram's now, started off ok but the pish he has come out with recently is unreadable.

I was watching the 92/93 season review a few weeks ago and what really shocked me was Walter Smith's attitude before the Marseille away game

"We'd be happy with a draw" he says as he's being interviewed by Gabriel Clarke on the pitch before the match

Happy with a draw even though a win would've put us into the final, and a draw instead left us relying on Marseille to drop points in their final game

Nothing changes

I was watching the 92/93 season review a few weeks ago and what really shocked me was Walter Smith's attitude before the Marseille away game

"We'd be happy with a draw" he says as he's being interviewed by Gabriel Clarke on the pitch before the match

Happy with a draw even though a win would've put us into the final, and a draw instead left us relying on Marseille to drop points in their final game

Nothing changes

I Was on a training course back in the day where they had a motivational teamwork building guy caome in for a talk.

Apparently he had done a bit of time with our squad in the mid 90's and remarked that he said "are you gonna win the league" YEAH" was the reply "What bout the scottish cup?" "EASY" was the reply "what about the league cup(whatever it was called then)" SURE WE WILL" then "what about the champ league?" they all burst out lauging saying nae bother

Fuck you Hately. Why now? Why not when you where approached?

I hope this eats at you as you where in a position to change the outcome!

Exactly what I was thinking, he probably just hasnt seen his name in the paper in a while and decided to make this up, not that marsielle werent a bunch of cheating cheese eating surrender monkeys