Weir bug has Gers in crisis

disgruntled_bear

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So playing 3 players in the middle of the park or 2 makes no difference? You don't have a clue. If we play 4-4-2 with two wingers/attacking wide players we will lose the game before its started.

i mean in an offensive sense.

i cover what you say when i say pressing and 442 dont mix.

All the best teams in europe play 4-5-1 or its the 4-3-3 with the wingers comming in narrow. Barca play it, Madrid have played it for like the last 4 seasons and i love their formation, the 4-2-3-1. Both Munich and Inter played it last night. IMO If you have the players, and i feel we do, then its the best to go with. Although Weiss and Diouf are no Ronaldo and Ozil, they still have the talents to make the formation work.

exactly right.

formations are not negative or positive.

players and tactics are though.

I completely agree with a lot of what you are saying but the problem is how poor we are in the middle of the park. We are constantly losing battles in the middle of the park and that is where games are dictated. We do not have 2 good enough midfielders to win any midfield battle away from home in Europe

Yup would agree there..and even with 3 we still get the run around.

So the way i see it is this.

We have a fixture pile up and in my eyes the League Title is our No 1 and only priority.

We can either sit in with 4-5-1 and not have a go and still be under pressure or we can go 4-4-2 or more likely 4-4-1-1 and get players on the park who can do damage to the opposition.

It may well end up 4-3 to them but if we go out fighting it's not the end of the world for me.

For once i would like to see us simply attack a team in Europe like we did in the wnd half last week and stop showing these teams the respect they don't deserve.

Hey you never know it may just confuse an opposition manager when we don't line up in the predictable fashion they are now expecting.

exactly right.

formations are not negative or positive.

players and tactics are though.

i dont know how anyone can say its negative to go 4-5-1. Against Valencia we did not look one bit negative, if we played like that every game e.g the pressing high up, the quick passing, the full backs getting foward, our central players always looking for the ball and our defence being helped out by the midfield, i dont think anyone would complain if we watched that every week. SPL Teams couldn't handle us in that form IMO.

i dont know how anyone can say its negative to go 4-5-1. Against Valencia we did not look one bit negative, if we played like that every game e.g the pressing high up, the quick passing, the full backs getting foward, our central players always looking for the ball and our defence being helped out by the midfield, i dont think anyone would complain if we watched that every week. SPL Teams couldn't handle us in that form IMO.

Did we win?

that was the whole point is adding if we played against SPL Teams in that form then they couldnt handle us.

With respect though Stu in the SPL we shouldn't need a 4-5-1 line up.

And i do have to point out the obvious and state that we have went 4-5-1 against the Taigs in the last 3 games and haven't been able to beat them.

Yes in certain games in Europe against better quality opposition there is no doubt 4-5-1 is required but more often than not it is deployed simply to try and stifle the opposition.

Against teams like Lisbon though (especially at home) can you say they were any better than Hearts for example and deserved to be treated with such caution?

The BBC are reporting that he is expected to shake off the bug and play tonight.

A fully "fit" Weir is a liability. If he isn't even 100%, we will be sitting incredibly deep tonight to cover him.

Come on Walter. Give Bartley a chance.

In a word yes. Davie Weir has been fantastic for us but it more than obvious he is done and needs dropped, people are happy that he is not going to be featuring not that he is ill.

I really can't be bothered with this fake outrage shite. I having a pop at you because all you do is have a go at fans amd yes I understand the irony.

.. and as I said in my first post - Loyalty - is missing from a good number of our fans on here, they are demonstrating that by the glee they are showing in Weir gettting ill, they have demontrated that by the vilification of Walter on other threads, and in this one by calling him a liar and yet you choose to interpret my comments as fake outrage as opposed to challenging those that believe this is a made up story for dropping Weir.

There is nothing fake about my posts - I worry for our club if this is the way some of our fans treat people who have not only shown loyalty to the team but delivered trophy after trophy and thus I speak out against those who, imho, drag us down by their own lack of loyalty.

i think yous will find that all the teams being talked about play 4-2-3-1 not 4-5-1.

playing a flat 5 across the middle makes it defensive u need the right mix of

attacking players and defensive players to make it work. for the record

i believe we have the players to play the 4-2-3-1 system if walter has

the balls to set it up properly.

.. and as I said in my first post - Loyalty - is missing from a good number of our fans on here, they are demonstrating that by the glee they are showing in Weir gettting ill, they have demontrated that by the vilification of Walter on other threads, and in this one by calling him a liar and yet you choose to interpret my comments as fake outrage as opposed to challenging those that believe this is a made up story for dropping Weir.

There is nothing fake about my posts - I worry for our club if this is the way some of our fans treat people who have not only shown loyalty to the team but delivered trophy after trophy and thus I speak out against those who, imho, drag us down by their own lack of loyalty.

Your problem is that loyalty gets in the way of reality.

Loyalty is an admirable trait and one i will not put down but it is leading to major problems on and off the park.

Can you honestly say that the thought of dropping Davie Weir hasn't crossed your mind but won't admit it as that would be an impure thought :rolleyes:

so playing a 40 year old man with experience who cannot keep pace with the game anymore and will result in our midfield sitting on top of the defence for 90 mins instead of a 19 year old carbon copy of bougie who can charge forward with the ball and will allow the midfield to press onto the other team :disappointment:

just what value do they place on davie weirs experience :/

People are thinking that Walter is using the bug as an excuse to drop Weir, don't make it out like a witch hunt against Walter.

Right, let's stay loyal to Davie Weir, not in a personal sense because that is without question. Let's stay loyal in a professional sense, let's watch him cost us goal after goal and result in us dropping points or being eliminated from competitions. He is not the sole reason but he is a major one.

Regardless of how much Walter, Weir or whoever have won for our club they are not above criticism.

Being ill or injured is not something anyone is wishing on Davie Weir, but being dropped from the starting 11 is what needs to happen.

This is the starting line up apparently

Rangers team to face Sporting (4-1-4-1) :anguish:

:mcgregor:

:Foster::bougherra::weir::papac:

:bartley:

:whittaker::davis::edu::fleck:

:diouf:

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/rangers/230767-fleck-and-weir-to-start-for-rangers-against-sporting/

So David Weir starts, we can now shut this thread down.