Rangers Trivia

minstral

My first Rangers game was in 1968 against Clyde at Shawfield. My old man was a Clyde supporter and never really went to matches. But he took me to see the Rangers including Jim (not so slim) Baxter. 4 - 1 we beat them and I was chuffed as fuck that my old man gave me a chance to see Baxter playing for us. :uk:

He was some player Eric. (tu)

Here's one for you, Scotland were the first team to beat England after they won the World Cup inspired by The Legend that is Jim Baxter. Now a legend sprung up that he sat on the ball that game to goad the English players but he didn't, he played keepie up that game but he did not sit on the ball. But he did sit on the ball to wind up opposition in a game, who were the opposition and what was the game ? :sherlock:

Here's one for you, Scotland were the first team to beat England after they won the World Cup inspired by The Legend that is Jim Baxter. Now a legend sprung up that he sat on the ball that game to goad the English players but he didn't, he played keepie up that game but he did not sit on the ball. But he did sit on the ball to wind up opposition in a game, who were the opposition and what was the game ? :sherlock:

Blue was that the 1963 cup final against the scum.

Blue was that the 1963 cup final against the scum.

That was in the replay on the Wednesday night if I remember correctly and at the end of the gemme he stole the match ball and gave it to Ian McMillan...Is that correct, minstral?

That was in the replay on the Wednesday night if I remember correctly and at the end of the gemme he stole the match ball and gave it to Ian McMillan...Is that correct, minstral?

Yes he made sure he got the ball and gave it to the we Prime Minister.

Is that the game Tiny Wharton had to ask "Mr Baxter, can I have the ball please?" While Baxter had it under his jersey, and he said "No".

That would have been the one, mate!

I actually headed that ball! :rolleyes:

*** Edit.

As an aside to that event, Rangers actually returned a ball, but I'm positive it wasn't the one Baxter gave to the wee prime minister.

I'll ask my sister to check up on that one.

Covenanter perhaps?

Could well be, Colin, although I think there's a few who could fit the bill.

Maybe we should do a census before we get too old to remember how old we really are. :craphead:

Let's hear it for the Geriatric Loyal :crabflute: