why would you apologise to you employers

Dennis

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/9415222.stm

Nel Lennon has much to ponder at Celtic training

Lennon did not appear at Celtic's media conference

Neil Lennon has apologised to the Celtic board for Wednesday's verbal spat with Rangers assistant manager Ally McCoist in their Scottish Cup tie.

Celtic first-team coach Alan Thompson again faced the media ahead of Celtic's Scottish Premier League match against Hamilton Accies on Saturday.

"Neil apologised to the board regarding the events after the game on Wednesday night," said Thompson.

"And the board have accepted that. From our point of view, that's finished."

Rangers manager Walter Smith on Friday said he was disappointed with some of his players' reactions during a game where his team were shown three red cards and lost 1-0.

While he took responsibility for his players' behaviour, his words appeared to fall short of a public apology for a match that led to much public criticism.

Neil has had 24-hour surveillance outside his house two days in a row protecting him and his family and he thought it was right to step out of the way

Celtic first-team coach Alan Thompson

Lennon's apology for Wednesday's events was directed towards his own bosses and, as he did not attend the media conferences after the game or on Friday, has come second-hand from Thompson.

"From our point of view, that's finished and I know Walter has said that as well," said the Celtic coach.

"I am saying now that Neil has apologised now, so that makes it public."

Lennon and McCoist had to be separated at the end of the ill-tempered game and the Celtic manager was accompanied to training at Barrowfield by a security man on Friday morning.

Asked why Lennon had not appeared for the media conference, Thompson replied: "Neil had a lot on his plate in the last couple of days and he thought it was right to stand out the way for a day or two.

"He has had 24-hour surveillance outside his house two days in a row protecting him and his family and he thought it was right to step out of the way."

Earlier this year, a package of bullets addressed to Lennon was intercepted in Northern Ireland, but his coach stressed that there was no way Lennon would walk away from the Celtic job.

"I spend a lot of time with him at work and away from work and I know how difficult it is for his family in Scotland and in Ireland," added Thompson.

"I think it is important that he gets the protection and backing that we give him."

feel free to move if not appropriate for the bears den.

He wasnt innocent, he caused all the mayhem, again.

I know that, you know that, every Rangers fan in the world knows that.

It is a pitty the media have yet to fathem it out.

You would think this would make Lennon think twice about his behaviour, he knows how serious the rivalry can be but he enflames it purposely at every turn.

I would normally have sympathy for a footballer/manager that the police feels needs protection away from the game, Celtic player or not, but I have none for him. He deserves it.

I'm sure the depression was a smokescreen for the threatening texts to some burd he was shagging who's kid he also denied parentage off.

No doubt there will be more suspect packages appearing to shift the media glare from the wee Catholic Victim.

I'm sure the depression was a smokescreen for the threatening texts to some burd he was shagging who's kid he also denied parentage off.

No doubt there will be more suspect packages appearing to shift the media glare from the wee Catholic Victim.

This. (tu)

It's funny how often these 'suspect packages' and 'death threats' appear whenever Lemon is any way involved in something controversial. Now I am the worlds biggest cynic, but even so I can't believe a single thing thats reported about these events when they happen. Always strikes me as bullshit.

Or maybe from losing £600,000 plus because of his dealings in property with an IRA man :sherlock:

I know that, you know that, every Rangers fan in the world knows that.

It is a pitty the media have yet to fathem it out.

Lennon goes to ground for 3 days and Thompson's apology for him is quoted as what's been offered to the board and accepted by them. Then we're told Walter's remarks fall short of a public apology. If no-one from Parkhead is prepared to issue a public apology why should it fall to Walter Smith or anyone else at RFC to do so. Smacks of the typical double standards we've come to expect. Personally I'd see it as a grovelling and cowardly act if anyone from RFC climbed down from the high ground. Our players were abused from the terraces and the home technical area for the entire match and the protagonist in chief was Neill Lennon.