PSV fans slated me for joining Gers... we proved ‘em WRONG

HAMMERED in Holland.

Arthur Numan was nailed by his Dutch critics for quitting PSV Eindhoven for Rangers.

He reckons that one Jorg Albertz thunderbolt in the Philips Stadion proved him RIGHT.

Numan was one of the world's most highly sought after left-backs when Dick Advocaat took him to Ibrox in 1999. The World Cup star's decision to play in the SPL stunned Dutch football.

When Gers drew PSV in the Champions League Numan saw it as a chance to prove his doubters wrong.

With a little help from Albertz - The Hammer - he did just that.

Numan recalled: "It was strange because I had been at PSV for six years, had been captain, and always had a good relationship with the supporters. I wanted to prove the people wrong who criticised my decision to move to Scotland.

"When I signed for Rangers people were surprised as I could have gone to England or Spain. They said Rangers were not bigger than PSV, and the league was not stronger, but when we played them I could prove them wrong.

"I was glad we won 1-0 but I didn't celebrate too much as I had too much respect for the people there.

"The supporters were great with me, singing my name. It's always nice when you play your former team and you get a warm reception. It was good to prove some people wrong by winning that match and then we beat them 4-1 at Ibrox. That silenced everyone."

Rangers then were a different club to the one now. Champions League winner Stefan Klos was in goals in a team which also included Giovanni van Bronckhorst, Michael Mols and Lorenzo Amoruso.

It's changed days with Gers cash-strapped and their squad down to the bare bones ahead of tomorrow's Europa League first-leg clash.

Numan added: "We had a really good team who tried to play attacking football. We put teams under pressure, but it was very different then from now.

"Now they have no surprises. I don't think anyone expects Rangers to play 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 - that would be a big shock.

"You cannot compare these teams. The quality then was much better. It's no secret that Rangers can no longer afford to attract the big names.

"It's always players coming in on loan and the club has to be careful about how it spends its money now.

"You have to be sure that the players you sign can actually bring something to the team."

Advertisement

Numan is in a no-lose situation as he looks ahead to the PSV clash - insisting he'll be happy to see either side win. He added: "It was nice when I heard both teams had got through to set up a repeat of 1999/2000.

"For me it's special as I played for PSV for six years and five for Rangers, so it's fantastic to see both teams play against each other.

"Who do I want to win? I'll be very diplomatic and say I'm happy with whoever gets through!

"I don't think Rangers have any secrets for PSV. The way they play in Europe is always the same.

"They keep it tight at the back and in the away games in particular they play on the counter attack.

"I think most managers know Rangers' system. They keep it tight with the two full-backs and sometimes play defenders in the middle. It's no secret.

"PSV have a good squad but are in a similar financial position to Rangers.

"Sometimes they need to sell players and instead of strengthening the team in the winter they lost two players.

"Ibrahim Affelay signed for Barcelona and that was a big blow as he was their most influential player.

"He is a very skilful player, he scores goal and he's creative so that's a big blow for PSV to lose him. He would have been out of contract so PSV decided it was better to sell him.

"It's hard to rate Rangers' chances as European games are so different. I always liked the European games as the atmosphere is always different from the league games and just fantastic.

"The supporters are behind the team for 90 minutes, everyone is up for it.

"I would say the Dutch league is stronger than the Scottish one. Ajax are through in the Europa League, so are PSV and Twente which is good for Dutch football.

"In two seasons' time we will have an extra spot in Europe because of the results in recent years.

"Most clubs in Holland also know that if they have a talented player in their team and a club from Spain, Italy or England knock on the door and offer decent money then they need to let them go because the wages abroad are much better than in Holland."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3454819/PSV-fans-slated-me-for-joining-Gers-we-proved-em-WRONG.html#ixzz1G3egsiGB