Your team of the Last decade

GOAT

The winner of the "pissing money away award" undoubtedly goes to Dick Advocaat.

I disagree mate, although i do think he and his tenure was vastly over rated. Spending almost £100m to win a few SPL titles and get chased out of town by MON isnt exactly............great work. He did bring in several real quality players though who, as usual, failed in Europe. With £80m debt, the dream became a nightmare.

Most of our dud players in the last 10 years were here under Eck and Le Guen and even nowadays a few under Walter, probably because less money to spend means inferior players but still on big bucks. All on big contracts, all sold for buttons or paid off costing us millions upon millions.

Mr Bain.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree mate, although i do think he and his tenure was vastly over rated. Spending almost £100m to win a few SPL titles and get chased out of town by MON isnt exactly............great work. He did bring in several real quality players though who, as usual, failed in Europe. With £80m debt, the dream became a nightmare.

Most of our dud players in the last 10 years were here under Eck and Le Guen and even nowadays a few under Walter, probably because less money to spend means inferior players but still on big bucks. All on big contracts, all sold for buttons or paid off costing us millions upon millions.

Mr Bain.

Every manager buys duds. None have a 100% record in that department.

Considering the tight squeeze weve been in Wattie and Eck did ok, all things considered. The less said about Le Guen the better.

I kinda agree about Advocaat. The first 18 months or so he had an excellent signing record, latterly he was a f*ckin long term disaster. Why he doesnt get more stick i dont know.

It's funny how Hutton can have one good 6 months and he's our best right back of the decade!

That's what I was thinking but considering the right back trouble we've had he still probably is easily the best we've had there.

Considering the tight squeeze weve been in Wattie and Eck did ok, all things considered. The less said about Le Guen the better.

I kinda agree about Advocaat. The first 18 months or so he had an excellent signing record, latterly he was a f*ckin long term disaster. Why he doesnt get more stick i dont know.

Eck signed a heap of players not even good enough for the SPL never mind Rangers. It got to the point where pretty much every signing he made was a disaster.

I know mate.

Ecks player turnover was appaulling, he had some of the very worst players i have ever seen in a Rangers jersey yet still done pretty decent.

When Dick ran out of money, he ran out of ideas. Maybe fans dont like criticising him maybe because he did bring some very good players in and wona few cups, but the cost was of that was still being felt even under Le Guen.

These current problems have nothing to do with Advocaat, this is Murray, Bain and Smiths doing.

(tu)

I know mate.

Ecks player turnover was appaulling, he had some of the very worst players i have ever seen in a Rangers jersey yet still done pretty decent.

When Dick ran out of money, he ran out of ideas. Maybe fans dont like criticising him because he did bring some very good players in and wona few cups, but the cost was of that was still being felt even under Le Guen.

These current problems have nothing to do with Advocaat, this is Murray, Bain and Smiths doing.

(tu)

The highlighted part is the only thing i disagree with. £80 million in debt is hard to get rid of, we are still paying the consequences of that debt today.

Dick Advocaat spent a lot of money. Some of it was spent well and the rest was throw down the drain.

Good buys in terms of value/trophies won/sell on fee after:

Numan - £4.5m

Van Bronckhorst - £5m

Wallace - Free

McCann - £2m

Klos - £750,000

Reyna £2m

Mols - £4m

Dodds - £1m

Tugay - ?

Lovenkrands - £1.3m

Ricksen - £3.6m

De Boer - £4.5m

Cannigia - £1m

Arveladze - £2m

Decent buys:

Amato - £4.2m

Charbonnier - £1m

Miller - £2m

Flo - £12m (scored a lot of goals and was sold for £6m)

Awful buys (money wasted):

Kanchelskis - £5.5m

Prodan - £2.5m

Hendry - £4m

Guivarc'h - £3.5m

Konterman - £4.3m

Christiansen - £1.3m

Gayle - £1m

Nerlinger - £2m

Ball - £6.5m

The highlighted part is the only thing i disagree with. £80 million in debt is hard to get rid of, we are still paying the consequences of that debt today.

The debt was under control, i read somewhere it was £5/6m when PLG took over, indeed he had a transfer budget and decided not to use it all. We were fine financially then. Losing to Kaunas then spending £15m? is what sent us on our way to where we are now. Thats a £30m swing, loss of revenue. :(

When Walter took over there was no financial scaremongering, we were not penny pinching, we went out and signed who we wanted.

1 very bad year and we are only just starting to recover.

The debt was under control, i read somewhere it was £5/6m when PLG took over, indeed he had a transfer budget and decided not to use it all. We were fine financially then. Losing to Kaunas then spending £15m? is what sent us on our way to where we are now. Thats a £30m swing, loss of revenue. :(

When Walter took over there was no financial scaremongering, we were not penny pinching, we went out and signed who we wanted.

1 very bad year and we are only just starting to recover.

Im pretty sure we were in more debt than £5/6 million. In the last decade i dont think weve been in debt of below £15-18 million, and that was after a less than successful share issue.

Anyone know the figures?

Im pretty sure we were in more debt than £5/6 million. In the last decade i dont think weve been in debt of below £15-18 million, and that was after a less than successful share issue.

Anyone know the figures?

Bluedell and boss are probably the only two i would trust with our figures. Maybe they will know.

There is no way in the world we were £15m in debt when Walter took over.

(tu)

We have actually 2 or 3 times in the past 10 years largely sorted our finances out only for them to be mismanaged again by Bain and Murray.

McGregor

Hutton

Cuellar

Ricksen

Numan

Lovenkrands

Arteta

Ferguson (before bb)

Albertz

Prso

Mols

Subs, Klos, Bougherra, Andrews, Reyna, Novo

Ricksen at centre back? Lovenkrands right midfield? hmm...

Bluedell and boss are probably the only two i would trust with our figures. Maybe they will know.

There is no way in the world we were £15m in debt when Walter took over.

(tu)

Fair enough.

I found an article from a few years ago which mentions a debt of 5/6 million at one stage. After a share issue underwritten by Murray. A healthy dose of creative accounting id suggest which made the figures look better than they actually were.

Brilliant mate, thats nice.

I take it you are a keen supporter of Mo too then? I bet you were disappointed it never quite worked out for Damarcus, i was.

Yeah, was excited when both of them came to Rangers. It was a shame DMB never got over his myriad of injuries, and I still hold hope Edu can find his form like he had at the end of the 08/09 season, we'll see what happens these next few months.