Playstation network

King_gazza

Got this from landoso's link on his other thread (tu)

Sony: PlayStation Breach Involves 70 Million Subscribers

CNBC.com | April 26, 2011 | 05:24 PM EDT

Six days after a security breach of its PlayStation Network, Sony said Tuesday that the incursion was much worse than expected and hackers had obtained personal information on 70 million subscribers.

The company, in a blog entry posted Tuesday afternoon, added it is still unsure if the intruder also obtained credit card data for members who have that on file with the service, which provides online functionality for the PlayStation 3.

"Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID," wrote Patrick Seybold, senior director of corporate communications for Sony Computer Entertainment America. "It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address … and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. … While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility."

Sony says the attack has led it to begin rebuilding the system. It expects to restore some services within a week.

The company is urging subscribers to be on alert for identity theft attempts as well as email, telephone and postal scams. (Users can contact the three major U.S. credit bureaus — Experian, Equifax and TransUnion — and have their accounts put in "high alert" status for no charge.) It is also advising them to change their password when service is ultimately restored.

Sony's stock [ SNE 29.79  -0.30 (-1.00%) ] was down about one percent in after-hours trading.  Click here for latest after-hours quote.

Analysts say they don't believe investors will punish the company substantially, given that this was an external attack and not the result of an internal error.

"Any time you have a break of fidelity like that, it's an issue," said Mike Hickey of Janco Partners. "It's pretty clear that someone has taken an illegal action to make a point. So do I hold Sony to blame for that? No. But should Sony have better security to protect their subscribers personal information? Probably."

So far, no hacker group has claimed responsibility for the attack. The rogue group known as Anonymous, which has famously launched attacks on both Gene Simmons and Hustler Magazine, was initially suspected, after it vowed in early April to target Sony after the company's legal action against a hacker who dismantled the PS3's security.

The group managed to disrupt the service with a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack earlier this month. (Anonymous attackers, using software known as “Low Orbit Ion Cannons,” repeatedly pinged the company's servers. When done simultaneously by enough users, this can bring the site down — usually quickly and without warning.)

However, Anonymous denies responsibility for this incident, saying on its site, "While it could be the case that other Anons have acted by themselves, AnonOps was not related to this incident and does not take responsibility for whatever has happened."

While consumers impacted by the hack are Sony's first priority, the continued outage of the PlayStation Network is also impacting its developer partners (both internal and external).

The company released "SOCOM 4," a multiplayer focused action game that is traditionally one of its biggest franchises, last week. Additionally, the eagerly anticipated "Portal 2," which comes with a co-operative mode, also hit store shelves last week — with an integration of Valve's Steam online service into the PlayStation Network being touted as one of the chief reasons to opt for the PS3 version of the game, rather than the Xbox 360 version.

The company has reportedly vowed to help some of the game makers who are seeing their revenues dry up.

"Sony will be helping us retain key focus (PSN store promotion) for a few extra weeks as they understand how something like this can affect a small dev studio like ours," said Paddy Murphy, CEO of Open Emotion told IGN.

The outage and data breach could give Microsoft [ MSFT 26.19  +0.58 (+2.26%) ] an advantage in the online gaming space, as its Xbox Live service has never suffered such a compromise. Unlike Microsoft, which requires a $60 annual subscription fee for access to most features of its Xbox Live service, Sony does not charge most users for access to the PlayStation Network. (A PlayStation Plus program is available, giving early access to demos, priority invitations to game beta tests and discounts on products in its online store.)

mines is still fucked im dying for a game of Uitimate team on fifa heard that shagger is now a on form player now any truth?

Had a look, i don't think so but his photo for it :lol:

unledpf.png

Assuming players with black cards are the inform ones, then Jelavic and Miller for some reason <cr>

Hoping this won't affect me too badly, but still going to keep an eye out for anything dodgy.

I have an account with PSN but I NEVER use it. I haven't been on over a year, the card I registered with has long since expired & the email address I used isn't even my primary email address.

Like I said fingers crossed this won't affect me. Cancelling cards and changing all passwords is a fucking nuisance.

Credit card data stored on the PlayStation Network was encrypted Sony claims, meaning that there's no evidence any of that data has been taken as a result of last week's security breach.

In a Q&A on the PlayStation Blog, Sony has tried allaying PSN users' fears regarding their credit card information, with the overall message being that the breach might not be that serious, as explained in these particular questions and answers:

"Q: Was my personal data encrypted?

A: All of the data was protected, and access was restricted both physically and through the perimeter and security of the network. The entire credit card table was encrypted and we have no evidence that credit card data was taken. The personal data table, which is a separate data set, was not encrypted, but was, of course, behind a very sophisticated security system that was breached in a malicious attack.

"Q: Was my credit card data taken?

A: While all credit card information stored in our systems is encrypted and there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained. Keep in mind, however that your credit card security code (sometimes called a CVC or CSC number) has not been obtained because we never requested it from anyone who has joined the PlayStation Network or Qriocity, and is therefore not stored anywhere in our system."

While Sony is still offering no guarantees that credit card data was not stolen, the platform holder offers the following advice:

"For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well. To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports."

Personal data might still be at risk however, as this was not encrypted, which could prove damaging as it could be used for identity theft and phishing scams.

Sony have said PSN will be back up within days lads

I heard you will keep all your trophies and your friends list if you have Playstaion Plus

yes, I knew that 40 quid wouldnt go to waste :D

Q: Will our download history/friends list/settings be affected by the PSN downtime?

A: No, they will not.

Q: Will trophies that were earned in single-player offline games during the outage be intact when the service resumes?

A: These trophies are intact and will be re-synched when the network is once again operational.

Q: Will my PS+ cloud saves be retrievable?

A: Yes, once PSN is restored.

Q: What if we have a subscription to PS3 MMOs DC Universe Online or Free Realms? Will we get compensation for that?

A: From Sony Online Entertainment: “We apologize for any inconvenience players may have experienced as a result of the recent service interruption. As a global leader in online gaming, SOE is committed to delivering stable and entertaining games for players of all ages. To thank players for their patience, we will be hosting special events across our game portfolio. We are also working on a “make good” plan for players of the PS3 versions of DC Universe Online and Free Realms. Details will be available soon on the individual game websites and forums.”

Q: Will there be a goodwill gesture for the time we haven’t been able to utilize PSN/Qriocity?

A: We are currently evaluating ways to show appreciation for your extraordinary patience as we work to get these services back online.

Thank you for your continued feedback

I have DCU, so a free month and a free download off PSN would do me :sherlock: