Time for a new captain

its time for a new team, never mind a captain. The second worst Rangers team Ive ever witnessed.

I think the teams fae the late 70s early 80s would run amok with this lot and they were supposed to be the worst :pipeguy:

possibly FISH, but we had 4/5 very bad years back then.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lack of quality in this current team is unbelievable. There is no skill or creativity.

The amount of times those players punt the ball up the pitch is ridiculous. It is so boring and pathetic.

its time for a new team

(tu)

(tu) you just have to look at the (lack of) quality we have in the squad overall. i dont see anyone at ibrox who would make a better captain than barry. and i dont see ws signing a player to be captain - and i dont think he should either. 7 managers have made him captain at both club and country level - i dont agree he is in the mould of the likes of gough, but he is a leader.

But he ain't a winning captain.

He ain't an inspirational captain - look at the efforts of those around him.

To me he is like a good manager who has lost the dressing room.

He is a captain who can no longer inspire - if he could he would. After a while all the shouting and bawling b ecomes hjust that shouting and bawling.

This entire thread is seriously taking the piss. Suggesting that Thomson should be Captain to see how it goes? ffs.

Get real.

Barry has had a dip in form lately. I honestly believe he is emotionally drained right now. This has been a terrible year for RFC.. the entire PLG debacle etc. etc. Barry -- like all of us -- wants this season to end NOW!

We need to get on and get some quality in the summer -- but doubt we'll get anything. No wonder he's probably depressed! I know I am.

He ain't an inspirational captain

Not what Boyd, Adam, Hutton and Davie Weir say.

drinkin' buddies stick together and all that.

I think if the first three were my character references I would be severely worried.

Mind you you can see the inspiration that Boyd has got from him with the tireless running that Kris is now doing in games. :rolleyes:

Another Alba dig at Barry Ferguson :rolleyes:

If you were to decide to have a new captain then a would give it to David Weir he would be a good leader on the park but Ferguson is good enough for me after all why did Advocaat, Souness, PLG, Smith x2 and Mcleish x2 have Ferguson as there captains?? he must do something rite :rolleyes:

the entire team is shite, the st mirren game last night was one of the the worst games ive taken time to watch.

all 4 of the midfielders were absolutely shocking and the front two weren't any better. But all this can also be traced to the back four who for most of 90 minutes just punted the ball upfield without even looking.

Basicly i don't think ferguson being captain is the problem, rather a complete lack of quality in the current squad.

Svennsson was Gothenburgs captain

Weir was Hearts captain

Thomson was Hibs captain

Murray was Hibs captain

Rae was Dundees captain

Hemdani was Marseilles captain

My point is, there is plenty of leadership experience in the squad, yet we are not seeing it come from ANY of the players. If Bazzas head is down, the rest of the squad are and should be capable of pulling rank and ensuring the direction is still there. If Baz has a problem with that then it is only because he is not doing his job right, and should be thankful for any help he gets.

If you were to decide to have a new captain then a would give it to David Weir he would be a good leader on the park but Ferguson is good enough for me after all why did Advocaat, Souness, PLG, Smith x2 and Mcleish x2 have Ferguson as there captains?? he must do something rite :rolleyes:

I don't think it follows at all that he is doing something right.

Just what is it that he is doing right AS captain

Inspiring the other players - which ones ?

Motiovating the team to give maximum effort - when ?

Encouraging those who need it - who ?

People keep saying that he is the best man for the job yet can't point to what he is actuially achieving inn that role.

Egveryone agrees that there is a lack of fight, a lack of determination, a lack of desire in this team - well who the feck is the captain ?

We need a huge figure in.

People keep saying that he is the best man for the job yet can't point to what he is actuially achieving inn that role.

Egveryone agrees that there is a lack of fight, a lack of determination, a lack of desire in this team - well who the feck is the captain ?

Who would you like to see come in that we can afford and could do a better job??

Who would you like to see come in that we can afford and could do a better job??

We are way beyond who can we afford, we are now at the we can't afford not to stage.

Seriously this squad under the current captain could go five years without a trophy. We have become a Hibs or a Hearts (except they have won trophies in the last two seasons)

We are way beyond who can we afford, we are now at the we can't afford not to stage.

Seriously this squad under the current captain could go five years without a trophy. We have become a Hibs or a Hearts (except they have won trophies in the last two seasons)

Its not the captain of the club that wins you the league its the players on the park who win you the league and the main problem is the lack of quality in the squad!! Players who sign for Rangers shouldnt need to be motivated by the captain because they should be motivated by playing infront 50,000 every 2nd week and playing for 1 of the biggest clubs in Britain!! If you had the choice of captain between Ferguson or Gavin Rae then a know how i would rather have as captain :rolleyes:

BF has been captain for quite a few club and international managers. I personally think the squad is SO bad its hard for anyone to inspire it.

My suggestion would be D Weir by a mile. He was club captain at Everton.

There MUST be big changes at Ibrox again soon.

Not very constructive it just appears to be Any. Body. But. Barry. Weir is not the answer either because if he is still playing regularly in the first team this time next year we will have failed to progress and so has Webster Broadfoot or Svensson.

I disagree CD, I certainly do not want ANYBODY instead of the present incumbent. I see no-one in the current squad able to do a better job. My point is that if we have money to spend we need a huge physical presence but we also need a huge leader to turn this team around. We need to spend and spend big.

Can't believe this is even being discussed Ferguson is the only player in the squad never mind the team at the moment who is Rangers class the rest are second rate at best.

No one is arguing with his ability. That is totally separate from his leadership qualities although too many equate them as one and the same

Can't believe this is even being discussed Ferguson is the only player in the squad never mind the team at the moment who is Rangers class the rest are second rate at best.

No one is arguing with his ability. That is totally separate from his leadership qualities although too many equate them as one and the same

The thing is, Advocaat, Souness, Hughes, Vogts, McLeish and Smith can't ALL be wrong.

Ferguson has been captain under every manager he has ever played under in his senior career

Rangers- Advocaat

Blackburn - Souness, Hughes

Rangers- Eck, Walter

Scotland - Vogts, Walter, Eck

He is obviously a good captain and some people forget that we don't see what goes on in the dressing room or on the training pitch. You can't judge somebody as being captain material based on 90 minutes on the pitch. A leader is supposed to motivate and inspire others: Ferguson' motivation techniques might be in question on the pitch but he is our most talented player and is one of the only ones who the players can look to and for inspiration and say I should be giving my all to play like that too!

Are we to buy a new captain then ? Where would you get somebody of Fergusons class ? there is nobody in the team capable, that includes Weir, lets face it he ain't no spring chicken. There is nobody in Scotland capable, in fact apart from Ferguson there is no stars in Scotland, no names, nobody you can identify with. The Scottish and foreigners included this has probably been the worst generation of footballers to have kicked a ball in my lifetime in Scottish football. And you want rid of Barry Ferguson, get a grip the team should be built around him and Boyd. Now if this is all about that dud we got rid of at the New Year, then deal with it. He is now with PSG and doin the same to them as he was doin to us, makin a botch job of it.

been reading this thread ..havent posted anything..

at first i thought.. yawn the anti-BF crew are at it again..

But tbh , maybe a new captain might help us in the long run. Not because i hate BF, as he is a legend in my eyes...but if we made D.Weir Captain (if he stays) that may lift a weight off fergusons shoulders and allow him to play his natural game in midfield. He tries too much when he is captain IMO.. and doesnt motivate players, he basically just shouts and screams at them...which doesnt help all the time.

Davie Weir has got the experience and leadership from the back that we have sorely lacked all season.

Could be interesting...