McVities ban union flag

SugarPlum

Dear Mr xxxxxxxxx

I was concerned to see that you were angered by misleading press reporting on Royal Wedding decorations at the McVitie's Tollcross site. McVitie's is a proud British brand and I can confirm that it has not banned the Union flag from any of its factories. At Tollcross, in line with all other factories in the UK, celebratory decorations are on display which include the Union flag.

The story arose after some red, white and blue decorations were taken down briefly on the afternoon of Tuesday 26th of April following some employee comments but all such decorations were restored on the morning of Wednesday 27th of April taking into account other employee feedback. It was unfortunate that the decorations were taken down at all and I apologise that someone seems to have been a little overzealous to avoid causing any offence. However once the situation came to light the decorations were restored.

McVitie's is a proud holder of the Royal Warrant and has also been honoured with a request to make a cake for the royal wedding - we have been making Royal cakes since 1896. We are also in the course of rolling out new packaging for a number of our products featuring the Union flag to support the fact that we source our wheat from the UK. While we are disappointed at the recent press coverage I trust you are reassured that McVitie's is very proud to be British.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any upset this has clearly caused you.

Peter Senior

McVities Tollcross Factory General Manager

Wonder how many of those he'll be sending out today.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This has surely got to be some sort of wind up, canny be arsed reading last 8 pages, is it really true that a company in Britain has banned our national flag?

Un -fucking-believable.............this is only going to get worse , they are turning on us throughout society. Institutions (banks) media (traynor, spiers et all) now a national company like McVities.

I am beginning to get concerned over where the next attack will come from.

This has surely got to be some sort of wind up, canny be arsed reading last 8 pages, is it really true that a company in Britain has banned our national flag?

Un -fucking-believable.............this is only going to get worse , they are turning on us throughout society. Institutions (banks) media (traynor, spiers et all) now a national company like McVities.

To fill you in - apparently it is true that a local manager removed the flags but then the head office reinstated them when someone else complained. Or so they say anyway.

You only need to read the post above your own.

Good reply from McVitie.

So what really happened was that some stupid tim got offended by the Red, White and Blue, their supervisor was probably equally offended or spineless (take your pick). They conspired to take the decorations down. Senior management find out and tell them to put them back up. The press get hold of the story and it has very little or no bearing on the real events.

Morrisons in coatbrig told to remove UJ bunting from store today also as its was "causing concern"

Must be the only country in the world where flying your national flag is seen as "offensive"

Coatbridge does not have a morrisons

Just received reply email from mcvities, sent them one back and said have a good look at who made the decision ! :sherlock:

Was your reply the same as the one I've posted upthread?

I've responded to the reply I received asking for clarification on the spokesperson's comments and that the person who took the original decision to remove the UF is investigated.

Was your reply the same as the one I've posted upthread?

I've responded to the reply I received asking for clarification on the spokesperson's comments and that the person who took the original decision to remove the UF is investigated.

Same reply for me as posted above so I replied with:

That is all very well and good, and I am happy you have seen sense in the end. However, the fact remains that this is an issue that should never have arisen in the first place and has seriously tarnished the name of McVities. I would expect that whoever made the original decision will recieve a severe reprimand for their actions in calling the name of this famous company, that makes many fine products, into disrepute.

Just bought a packet of their Digestives yesterday, but at this moment the birds in the back garden are enjoying them. Will never buy another thing made by them.

The Digestives got binned last night, but fuck I'm having a hard time tossing the rest of the Hob Nobs. :(

It's at times like this I'm glad I'm in Manchester.

Can see the Union flag flying proudly just outside our building - no bitter bigoted mopes to complain around here.

i stay in rusholme , south manchester and work on princess street. saw loads of tims coming out of that o sheas pub on sunday...and they were complaining about the large union jack display near canal street . made my blood boil , cunts just dont understand simple geography . this is Britain

I'm starting tae get the feeling that all this anti Rangers & British mumpin and moanin by just aboot everybody and their granny, is gonny take a turn for the better sometime soon.

And when it does, there's gonny be more than a few getting their arses bitten.

That takes the fukin biscuit ( a know that was crap),boycot all McVitie's products now! How can it be offensive to fly the british flag in this country? Does this bead rattling,genuflecting,council tax dodging,pious,incapacity benefit fraudster,let aids spread in Africa supporter and heffer, not know the FAMINE IS OVER and as I keep saying " If you don't like it here,go back to dublin".

I'm starting tae get the feeling that all this anti Rangers & British mumpin and moanin by just aboot everybody and their granny, is gonny take a turn for the better sometime soon.

And when it does, there's gonny be more than a few getting their arses bitten.

If the tarriers balaclavad "heroes" go ahead with any the threats that they made this week, then I think a lot of people will start to look at the craicsters in a new light.

Do you think we could go over to Ireland for St Patrick's Day and act offended and threaten to wave Union Flags?

Britain,the friendliest nation in the World.

You can come over here and take our benefits,houses and even burn our flag on the streets if you like (tu)

Dont think we need to even bother going over there mate judging by the amount of tri-colours there are over here every St Plastics day. :rolleyes:

Morrisons in coatbrig told to remove UJ bunting from store today also as its was "causing concern"

Must be the only country in the world where flying your national flag is seen as "offensive"

Believe me, Sweden is worse. Here, we have had instances of schools taking away Christmas decorations because it might make non-Christians feeling less welcome and not singing the national anthem at last day of school (which has been tradition for as long as the song has existed) - both despite the people who are thought to be "protected" themselves say, "No, we want Christmas decorations, because it's tradition in this country. No, we WANT to sing the national anthem because we're ALSO proud of this country."

Scotland might be going the wrong direction, but you have some way to go before you manage to reach our depth.