Hamer Bouazza

Doubt the spellings right but I think this guy would be a great signing. I've seen him a couple of times this season in the fa cup and again at the weekend where he was absolutely outstanding. Has played mostly left wing this season but can play up front as a 2nd striker as well. Hes only 22 and with his return of 9 goals this year for a team as poor as watford mostly from midfield coupled with great pace and an immense work rate makes me think he'd be a better bet on the left of midfield than adam, could be cheapish as well with them being relegated. (header)

Doubt the spellings right but I think this guy would be a great signing. I've seen him a couple of times this season in the fa cup and again at the weekend where he was absolutely outstanding. Has played mostly left wing this season but can play up front as a 2nd striker as well. Hes only 22 and with his return of 9 goals this year for a team as poor as watford mostly from midfield coupled with great pace and an immense work rate makes me think he'd be a better bet on the left of midfield than adam, could be cheapish as well with them being relegated. (header)

word is he will get snapped up by a bigger EPL Club who will of course be able to pay him better bucks than us up north :(

The only problem is that if he has been as impressive as you say at that age then another team will snap him up.

Realistically we should be looking for the guys reaching 30 who's team has been relegated, there is less chances of another Premiership team looking at them if they are "gettintg on" a bit.

The only problem is that if he has been as impressive as you say at that age then another team will snap him up.

Realistically we should be looking for the guys reaching 30 who's team has been relegated, there is less chances of another Premiership team looking at them if they are "gettintg on" a bit.

I dont know if its that unrealistic - hes only been capped internationally twice for algeria and is relatively unproven so any of the top epl clubs would be taking a bit of a gamble if they went for him given they have the financial clout to go for established internationals who've proven it. If hes the ambitious sort of player we would want at our club he should jump at the chance of a switch from championship footy to the champions league.

Yeah, then we can run up vast amounts of debt. We can give them a retirement home, pay them big bucks and watch them get old, fat and lazy. Then we release them and lose a lot of money. Then we repeat the process over and over.

Isnt that how we got into debt in the first place?

We need younger players, who can stay for 2-3 years and then be moved on to a bigger league for a profit. We have to follow the path of teams like Ajax.

Yeah, then we can run up vast amounts of debt. We can give them a retirement home, pay them big bucks and watch them get old, fat and lazy. Then we release them and lose a lot of money. Then we repeat the process over and over.

We need younger players, who can stay for 2-3 years and then be moved on to a bigger league for a profit. We have to follow the path of teams like Ajax.

AGREED AGREED AGREED - younger but proven players with a sell on value.

If you sign the right one then an older player can have a significant impact, simply because the overall quality of our domestic league is so poor. Look at the contributions that the de Boers, Berg, Caniggia and even Weir have made. They were examples of the right type of older player we have signed in recent years. Guys like Emerson, Ostenstd and Eggen were examples of poor older signings we made.

I'm not saying that it is an ideal set up doing what I said in my original post, but it's more realistic. Any decent player who has his whole career ahead of him is not going to see Rangers as a realistic and attractive option. Yes we can offer them European football once a fortnight, but other teams can offer them attractive league fixtures every week. The two most talented youngsters we have picked up in years in Boumsong and Clement only lasted 6 months each because of the poor quality of our league and Arteta didn't last much longer.

Ideally, I too would like a set up more like the one you suggested, but I don't think it will work any better than what I said simply because

1) The vast majority of our fans are not patient enough to accept a young player has his flaws and will improve over time. From the way guys like Boyd, Adam, Huttton and even Thomson have been grilled this season you see that the majority want to be seeing either a well esthablished or a big name player every week.

2) Some of our fans see us a bigger club, in terms of Europe, than what we really are and they will not accept us as simply being seen as a feeder club to teams that they feel we should be competing with or are infact better than.

Also you have to consider that to have a set up like Ajax would take years to successfully implement. They also sign talents from other clubs when they are about 18, 19, 20ish, but they mostly take their own players from about 8 years old and teach them to play football the right way. We would have to wait almost a decade before we seen the real results that Ajax see regularly as a result of their set up.

It would also take a lot of modernisiation of the club as a whole and we have already seen the reaction the majority of people involved with Rangers from the players through to the fans took when PLG tried to modernise our club.

No one way is more right than the other and the best way about it is to try and reach a compromise.