Older, Slower... But We're Still Champions

Stu1993

By Andrew Dickson

MADJID BOUGHERRA knows Rangers' title triumph was unlikely but thinks they deserved it for going about their business in the proper manner.

The Light Blues went into the campaign with a much smaller squad than Celtic and the Parkhead men were expected to come out on top.

Yet tonight they find themselves consigned to second placed once again and Bougherra feels they got cocky in the final weeks of the campaign.

The Algerian knows Gers were hanging on by their fingertips at times as injuries threatened to destroy their bid for three in a row.

Yet they showed great resilience and dug so deep to ensure they claimed the silverware against all the odds.

Bougherra said: "It is fantastic as everyone knew our situation. We didn't have a big squad and we had many games to play, including in the Champions League and Europa League.

"Even so, we never complained and got on with our jobs. We did our best and in the end we were the champions.

"You know, I remember hearing a Celtic player - I think it was Kris Commons - saying they were younger, faster and better than us.

"I can tell him now that we are maybe older and slower but we are the champions once again."

Link.