Lack of Leaders

Danny

There really has been a lack of leadership on the park this season.

We have how many captains of their former clubs?

Svensson: Gothenburg

Hemdani: Marseille

Murray: Hibs

Weir: Hearts

Plus of course our actual captain, and there's Dado who is vice-captain. And there's also our former captain Klos.

And yet there's been a real lack of true direction at times.

Weir has certainly shored up the backline, I admit that, and he's a leader, but could it be overall the case of too MANY leaders?

The old 'too many chiefs and not enough Indians' comes to mind.

There really has been a lack of leadership on the park this season.

We have how many captains of their former clubs?

Svensson: Gothenburg

Hemdani: Marseille

Murray: Hibs

Weir: Hearts

Plus of course our actual captain, and there's Dado who is vice-captain. And there's also our former captain Klos.

And yet there's been a real lack of true direction at times.

Weir has certainly shored up the backline, I admit that, and he's a leader, but could it be overall the case of too MANY leaders?

The old 'too many chiefs and not enough Indians' comes to mind.

Thats part of the problem. Usually at football clubs the captain isnt the best footballer, He is just a regular player who is fairly consistant.

Having Weir, Svensson, Murray, Hemdani and Thomson in our team/sqaud who were all captains at their previous clubs and having Ferguson, Prso, Klos, Rae and Boyd who have all Captained Rangers at some point is not the best situation.

I think we lack a type of Keane/Effenberg/Gough type captain who visibly screams at his players on the park if they are playing poor.

Not every captain has to be like that, Vieira wasn't and he was still successful. Depends what kind of leadership people are looking for.

Back to my old fashioned thinking again but for me I always like to see the captain of the team in the rearguard. It stands to reason from there you have much better reading of the game. The other thing which destroys a captains authority are coaches and their assistants screaming like dervishes from the touchline. If they cannot get their game plan sorted in the days/week before the game how the heck do they expect to get it sorted in 90 mins!