What next for Lafferty?

Davy

In typical end-of-season style the big man has came up with the goods, sticking the ball in the net when we need it most.

On paper he has all the attributes needed. He's big, can dribble and as we have seen in the past few games he can finish aswell.

However his form throughout the season has been a bit erratic to say the least. Swapped from the wings to up front, and in and out the squad with injuries he hasn't really found any sort of consistency.

But suddenly when he's played up front in his preferred position with a quality strike partner and a couple of wingers supplying him, he's grabbed 7 goals in his last 6 games.

The question is though, can he carry this form into next season? With Craig Whyte coming in and most likely supplying Super Ally with a transfer kitty, will a strike partner for Jelavic be on the cards? Or will he stick with Lafferty, confident enough he will maintain a high level of performance and grab the 20-odd goals needed from a first choice striker at Rangers?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Laff deserves to start as first choice next season alongside Jela,I have at times been Laffs harshest critic but hats off to the big man he's produced when it mattered once again.

I still think we need to sign another quality striker though,I still don't know if we can rely on Laff to produce week in week out only time will tell,having another quality striker would also provide competition for places which can only be a good thing.

Lafferty could have scored 5-6 goals yesterday and although he done the job yesterday his finishing at times is terrible!

I wouldnt have him as 1st choice, his 1st goal was a brilliant finish! The 2nd goal was all Jelavic...if the roles were reversed do you think Lafferty would have squarsed that ball in for Jelavic...IMO no chance he would have taken a touch and tried to score from 30yards, but he still done well to to slot it past the GK.

Then he missed the ball when it was pretty much a tap in, missed a few other chances then scored his 3rd. Again he missed the ball but done well to get round the defender and poke it in but it was lucky haha.

I wouldnt mind Lafferty playing more upfront but i think we need another 1st choice player.

Lafferty could have scored 5-6 goals yesterday and although he done the job yesterday his finishing at times is terrible!

I wouldnt have him as 1st choice, his 1st goal was a brilliant finish! The 2nd goal was all Jelavic...if the roles were reversed do you think Lafferty would have squarsed that ball in for Jelavic...IMO no chance he would have taken a touch and tried to score from 30yards, but he still done well to to slot it past the GK.

Then he missed the ball when it was pretty much a tap in, missed a few other chances then scored his 3rd. Again he missed the ball but done well to get round the defender and poke it in but it was lucky haha.

I wouldnt mind Lafferty playing more upfront but i think we need another 1st choice player.

This. (tu)

Most of us have gave the lad stick with the exception of a few, the guy has done what we all were wanting him to do, get some consistancy and a regular place in a position he looks suited too, well he has done so and found his ideal position and now some want him dropped or not given first choice along with jella, let the lad start and let him progress even more

I've always had a soft spot for Lafferty and his contribution at the business end of the past few seasons has been immense.

There are still signs, however, that he's a bit hit and miss in front of goal. I've got a feeling that a Premiership team will bid for him in the summer. If we can recoup our money on him, I think McCoist might let him go.

Agreed.

If an offer of around £1.5-2 million came in for Kyle I would sell in an instance.

Fuck off.

He's just starting to play well and you'd sell him.

Deserves a starting slot with Jela until he proves otherwise. Goodwillie in reserve.

Something everyone seems to be forgetting is how many balls big Laff is winning in the air now.

Used to be 5ft 2 when he jumped but now he's become a great target man. Needs to start next season up front.

I'm very happy with big Kyle, he's playing up front instead of out wide. Playing in his natural position with a partner has seen him flourish recently. At this moment I'd be happy to go into 2011/12 with jela and lafferty as our main strikers.

I do think a 3rd striker is reqd to give competition and to allow for injuries

If he were to have more consistent performances then he would be a cracking player for us, its a shame that he seems to play his best football at the end of the season. The last few games he has been immense, his finishing looks so much better and has given his heart and soul.

Lets hope Ally gets the best out of him.

My heart says this is it hes going to be a regular and bang the goals in.

My head says he will start the season with Jelavic up front and will play like a donkey.

Who fukin knows which lafferty will show up man :((td)

In typical end-of-season style the big man has came up with the goods, sticking the ball in the net when we need it most.

On paper he has all the attributes needed. He's big, can dribble and as we have seen in the past few games he can finish aswell.

However his form throughout the season has been a bit erratic to say the least. Swapped from the wings to up front, and in and out the squad with injuries he hasn't really found any sort of consistency.

But suddenly when he's played up front in his preferred position with a quality strike partner and a couple of wingers supplying him, he's grabbed 7 goals in his last 6 games.

The question is though, can he carry this form into next season? With Craig Whyte coming in and most likely supplying Super Ally with a transfer kitty, will a strike partner for Jelavic be on the cards? Or will he stick with Lafferty, confident enough he will maintain a high level of performance and grab the 20-odd goals needed from a first choice striker at Rangers?

No way can he carry it on. His best bet is a sex change op, and working as a lanky stripper in gentlemens clubs. He should quit now, whilst he's ahead.