The hardest competition to win?

I was thinking about this today and it's a hard one to call.

But I'll ask anyway. It can be any club or international competition, cup or league, but what in your opinion is the hardest competition to win in world football?

carling nations cup, especially if you dont play for scotland wales northern ireland or the republic :crabflute:

i would say the world cup though , because its single games so one little mistake and your country could be out , where as the champions league has 2 legs

carling nations cup, especially if you dont play for scotland wales northern ireland or the republic :crabflute:

i would say the world cup though , because its single games so one little mistake and your country could be out , where as the champions league has 2 legs

The thing with the World Cup is that the opening stages could be a complete walkover.

Honduras, North Korea, New Zealand etc.

Champions League for me

The World Cup, as great as it is to watch, is held over a much shorter period of time so it's theoretically easier for teams to catch 'lightning in a bottle.' Also, teams in the CL in many cases have played together for years so they are accustomed to each other so it's harder to exploit their weaknesses.

Also, you have to prove you are able to perform on the road in hostile environments to win in the CL. You don't really have that in the World Cup

New Zealand were not a walkover though, they were the only unbeaten team in the tournement, and they finished higher than the defending champions.

Again, as it's been eluded to, that's more to do with the whole 'lightning in a bottle' thing rather than actual ability.

One of the reasons why I don't think the World Cup is the hardest one to win.

Europa League?

New winner every season and more or less new finalists. Plenty of the big teams got knocked out this season.

Thats mostly because the big teams don't really give a fuck about it.

The thing with the World Cup is that the opening stages could be a complete walkover.

Honduras, North Korea, New Zealand etc.

Yeah but the qualifiers are extremely tough as well for the WC.

You are all in qualifying groups with countries from your continent, and most teams in each continent have a similar level of ability.

I would say champions league over the world cup because more games need to be played on way to the final, if your up against a top side it would be easier to beat them over 90 minutes and on one night rather than over 2 legs i would say!! I'd say man utd for example would have a better chance of overcoming barca in a one off final rather than over 2 legs

Winning a league, what ever league it is you are in is still a great achivement, you have to play more games, half of them away from home which is never easy you have to put up with alot of shit and it can be easy to have a squad collapse and lose all faith like what happened to chelsea this season, In some ways it could be argued man utd winning the league would have been a good as an accomplishment as it would be been if they had won the CL final