Scholes has retired.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant player, the english Xavi. It was a shame he was played on the right/left for England.

You saw just how he's respected outwith the UK when five Barcelona players tried to get his shirt at the end of the CL final (I think Iniesta eventually swapped with him). A truely talented player, the Hoddle of his generation.

Top player, managed to adapt from goalscoring midfielder to game-dictator as get got older. People seem to forget the young Paul Scholes who was a goal poacher.

Not been at his best for a few years but still an asset for Man Utd and capable of top class performances. Definitely correct to retire though.

You saw just how he's respected outwith the UK when five Barcelona players tried to get his shirt at the end of the CL final (I think Iniesta eventually swapped with him). A truely talented player, the Hoddle of his generation.

Exactly, it's funny hearing how highly people like Xavi, Zidane, Seedorf etc speak of Scholes yet the English media were more concerned with Gerrard and Lampard :rolleyes:

Sad :(

In an interview before the final, Guardiola said if he could sign one Man U player, it would be Scholes. Shows how highly he's thought of when you look at the midfield Barca already have.

Exactly, it's funny hearing how highly people like Xavi, Zidane, Seedorf etc speak of Scholes yet the English media were more concerned with Gerrard and Lampard :rolleyes:

If Scholes were Spanish he would of been liked more by our media. Scholes is a true great.

A footballing genius who at one point in his career was IMO the best goalscoring CM player in the world.

Unbelievable passer, intelligent footballer, could score from 30 yards, brilliant technician, timed his runs to perfection into the box and could ping the ball 50 yards straight onto his team mates chest. The best striker of a football I have seen. Just a shame he couldn't tackle a fish supper.

However it is the right time for him to retire. It got to the point were he offeed nothing more than pinging the ball 50 yards across the pitch and Giggs, Carrick, Rooney could all do that so there was no real need for Scholes to play, especially in the big games. I'm also glad he decided to retire rather than play out the remaining year of his career with another club.

Thought he had been pretty poor for the best part of this season, especially the second half, a lot of the Man U games I saw he was giving the ball away cheaply and just getting overrun in midfield. Fantastic player though and a one club man :praise: