10-club SPL 'is dead'

Ace

A proposed move to a 10-team Scottish Premier League is now dead, according to newly promoted Dunfermline Athletic's chairman John Yorkston.

It follows a meeting of representatives from eight of the current 12 clubs at Tynecastle to discuss the way forward for the top flight.

Only Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hibernian were not represented.

"There was a unanimous decision in favour of re-investigating a league of 14," Yorkston told BBC Scotland.

"A 14 reflects the wishes of the fans and would allow the development of players without the fear factor.

I think it's safe to say that, after today's discussions, a league of 10 is now dead

John YorkstonDunfermline Athletic chairman

"The SPL have been notified of this and we'll see how things move forward.

"I think it's safe to say that, after today's discussions, a league of 10 is now dead."

The 10-club proposal was the result of a SPL working party containing directors from Aberdeen, Celtic, Hibernian, Motherwell, Rangers and St Mirren.

Hamilton Academical chairman Ronnie McDonald also voiced his support for the proposal before the Lanarkshire club's relegation.

Aberdeen continue to back a smaller division and a club spokesman told BBC Scotland: "The 10-club proposal is the only one that is financially viable.

"We have yet to see any other model which is workable financially.

"A top tier of 10 with another tier of 10 clubs below is the one which we have publicly backed and is the only one that stacks up."

SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster, claiming there was broad support for the proposals, had also warned that a 10-club set-up was the only one that was financially viable.

But a proposed vote on change has been delayed on three occasions when it became clear that the required 11-1 majority would not be achieved.

Kilmarnock, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Dundee United and Motherwell have been vocal in their opposition to aspects of the plan.

A 10-club top-flight was only one of a number of proposed reforms, including a a merger with the Scottish Football League leading to pyramid structure in Scottish football, relegation play-offs and a redustribution of money away from the top two positions in the league and reallocating it to the other eight clubs.

Doncaster was adamant that those other measures could only be agreed along with a reduction to 10 clubs in the SPL.

However, he also said it was up to clubs opposing the plan to come up with alternatives.

http://news.bbc.co.u...ll/13607806.stm

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank god. Would have been a massive step backwards. I would love us to expand to 14-16 but cant see it happening. Absolutley no need for a country of our size to have 4 divisions. We should follow the other european countries example, 2 divisions and then non-league football.

It wont change.

Sky want 4 old firm and 4 edinburgh derbys, changing the amount of teams in the league would dilute this to a point where it will effect the finance they offer to our league.

as long as they keep the split then they can do whatever fucking else they want

the split is a fucking cracking part of the season

I completely agree and tbh i don't understand the serious hatred of the split from most people

The usual argument is about 7th place ending up with more points than 6th. Who honestly gives a fuck? It doesn't affect things at all

as long as they keep the split then they can do whatever fucking else they want

the split is a fucking cracking part of the season

I think the split is ridiculous.

I completely agree and tbh i don't understand the serious hatred of the split from most people

The usual argument is about 7th place ending up with more points than 6th. Who honestly gives a fuck? It doesn't affect things at all

if they werent good enough after 33 games to get in the top 6 then who gives a fuck if they end up with more points than the team in 6th place (tu)

I think the final day deciders of the past few seasons have did their best to show that the split can be a good thing, since the final 5 games are supposed to be against tougher opposition.

But the split is only worthwhile if it's a really tight season, and I don't think it will be long until one of us starts winning the league by a margin of 10+ points again...

I would vote for 16 teams, 14 is just a weird number.

10 team SPL would have been a disaster but as much as I would like a 16 team league with one team automatically promoted and a relegation/promotion play off with the 2nd and 3rd bottom facing the 2nd and 3rd placed teams in the 1st division , I reckon it will stay the same.

More's the pity.

Thank god. Would have been a massive step backwards. I would love us to expand to 14-16 but cant see it happening. Absolutley no need for a country of our size to have 4 divisions. We should follow the other european countries example, 2 divisions and then non-league football.

*Ding* Right answer.

We are stuck in a hole.

We increase it to 16-20 teams we've only got 2 Old firms and Sky won't be too interested. Small clubs will bitch about not getting the revenue (that pretty much keeps them afloat) by playing the OF 4 times a season so that idea will be binned

The rumoured setup for a 14 team league is a lot more ridiculous than the current split

a top 6 and a bottom 8, with the top 6 only playing 36 games and the bottom 8 playing 40

They could do a bottom 7 and top 7 instead, with 38 games each. I'd prefer that.