Rangers 1872-2011 Results (Spreadsheet)

Season 1966-67.

I have Dennis Reid as playing League games v St Mirren (scored 2) v Dunfermline and substitute v Ayr Utd. I've been told by poster that we had a player called Alex Reid in this season. Well, as suspected we're both right.

His name was Dennis Alexander Reid and he signed from 'Glasgow Perthshire' apparently. I opted for Dennis as it was down as his first name. Can’t recall the fella to be honest but as you can imagine it wasn’t a season that ended well so maybe that explains it.

Birth: 2nd March 1947.

Also, another point that was made was that Jerry Dawson's real name was 'James'. True. I have entered Jerry and to be honest Christian names were always a concern. Trying to balance exactness for diplomacy… Most players want to be known as the names they’ve given and the names on their birth certificates might be a bit embarrassing also. Prob made the wrong assessment re Jerry Dawson...

Sandy Jardine’s real name apparently is William Pullar Jardine and not Alexander as I thought but would he want his full name down?

What’s in a player’s name? Well, for me it’s a combination of what they want and what is right, and also what I found out - whether I struck the right balance who knows…

Didn't work on my Mac when I tried to open it, I've got excel though? :disappointment:

I was gonna get a Mac but when they told me to get my file converted i would this and then i would need that and that cost this and that cost that... well, great machine but...

Maybe there's some way you can get the file converted to Macs own stuff?

Btw thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Where are you at with your book mate? I'ts something i'm really looking forward to coming out. It's a topic i'm really interested in.

I did a bit of the research and have an outline in mind but I have other priorities at the moment mate so it could be a while down the line.

Other thing I found was that the war was interesting and leads me back into my love of Marx so it will be important not to stray into that area.

Sorry about the delay in responding.

Superb stuff as ever :clap:

Much as it pains me to Rep a commie nutjob, I'll make an exception for this spreadsheet! :D

As J Cash said to the prisoners in San Quentin "hey. I know you don't mean that"!;-)

Btw liked the way you tried to influence voters in that debate - you must be bucking for a job in the Tory Party!:-)

Seriously I only care about three things in life and although Communism is one of them it falls behind Rangers! :crabflute:

• 2 weeks later...

Magnificent bit of work...

Must say the work the fellas at http://www.rangerspedia.org/index.php/Main_Page are doing is absolutely great! Kinda easy for me (being a speed typist) to work away at the spreadsheet but these guys have obviously given up so much time to do what they do. Great site.

Also yourself and your pals at www.rangersfchistory.co.uk are doing great stuff too, all those match programmes/tickets etc - great site! I look forward to giving you a wee hand, of course you'll need to sort that 'n' key on your PC mate!

Btw that's 989 downloads so far...

That's 1112 downloads so pretty chuffed it has been so popular.

I'll shove up another update just after the transfer window closes for those that're finding it hard to input the (players) formulae for this coming season. May even do likewise for the January window. I'll make the final update as easy to update as possible.

I've input another element (cells for every game venue) and although i've made a start putting in some venues Tynecastle, Easter Rd etc, it's just so easy to do that i'm not too bothered about putting them all down. Having said that i've started shoving some pictures up in the A- C- E- M- S- pages to correspond (act as double check too) with this and in a timeline fashion with pics included (again this is another area that's easy to fill in and it's easy to get the data from wikipedia etc etc).

It was always my endgame to have the file like a kinda crossword structure - it's such a big one and with stats from yesteryear sometimes proving impossible to find, it's a crossword that'll never really be finished, but the framework is there for other Rangers fans to try.

Coming to the end of what i can achieve witht he file and the only thing that remains is to give the fellas at rangersfchistory a wee hand by inputting formats (dates etc) that make moving it to database much easier. A wee bit surprised the lads at rangerspedia didn't ask me to do this but they've maybe got it all under control.

Once i've helped with that database i'll be onto my book project 'Rangers: The Hidden Nine in a Row'. Tbh putting up other updates and helping the lads with their database is all a knee jerk reaction from me to Carmichael, Jardine and Mason. Had i not been so pissed off and angry with that lot i'd have left the update from December 2010 as my last one.

I'm glad to share it with all you other stats nerds! :uk:

• 4 weeks later...

Admin can you please remove this as a sticky soon.

I'll put another thread up with the final update link as soon as the transfer window is closed. I've done a lot of work on the file but won't be continuing with it after that the final file!

Thanks for putting it as a sticky - 2nd June file was downloaded 1327 times and that's thanks to RM, much appreciated! :praise:

The hosting site file has now been deleted at 1351 downloads.

No point in giving things away and attracting Rangers fans just for immoral people to punt things to them! I would never have put it up at the Barras only on a Rangers fans site.

That's all from me folks - for genuine stats nerds I'm glad you enjoyed the file.