Goodwillie To Sign For Blackburn Tomorrow

Rangers boss Ally McCoist prepares to walk away from David Goodwillie talks

Jul 18 2011 Keith Jackson

RANGERS are on the brink of walking away from their protracted attempts to sign David Goodwillie.

Record Sport can reveal Ibrox boss Ally McCoist has become frustrated by the complexities surrounding any deal for the 22-year-old who is facing a possible court appearance on a rape charge.

McCoist had been hoping the allegation would be dropped and Goodwillie cleared without the player being dragged into the dock.

But the Tannadice striker is now bracing himself for a trial date later this year and has hired QC Paul McBride as his defence lawyer.

Rangers will certainly not risk shelling out close to £2million for a player who could then be hammered with a prison sentence.

They are also increasingly unlikely to offer United a lump sum up front, with the rest to follow depending on the outcome of the case.

The growing belief within Ibrox last night was that any deal for the player would simply be too risky at this stage and that McCoist should concentrate on other targets, with a centre-half top priority.

With skipper Davie Weir and Lee McCulloch suspended for Saturday's curtain-raiser against Hearts, McCoist is desperately short of options.

Madjid Bougherra - who had expressed a desire to quit the club this summer - now looks sure to be denied a move and will see out the last 12 months of his current contract.

And McCoist's attempts to sign long-term target Carlos Cuellar from Aston Villa are still ongoing after the two clubs agreed on a £2million fee.

But La Liga outfits Espanyol and Villarreal are on Cuellar's case and McCoist was concerned yesterday that the defender may even have travelled to Spain for talks with either side over the weekend.

Sensible IMO

We're getting back to the negative stories again.

Goodwillie - deal dead/off to Cardiff

Rodriguez - deal dead/priced out

Wallace - deal dead/priced out

Cuellar - off to Spain

Tzavalas - wide of the mark

Gattuso - wide of the mark

Estigaribia - unrealistic

Weir - suspended

McCulloch - suspended

I know it's just paper talk and I'm still optimistic but that will quickly change if we fail to pick up 3 points at Hearts or crash out to Malmo.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

David Goodwillie signs. Anyone know where I can get a David Goodwillie sign.

Stop being such a fukin prick ya fukin cumstain. Hes innocent until proven guilty like evryone in the world. Take it you think Mcgregor is a rapist? even though he was innocent until proven guilty whi

Thank fuck for that

Posted Images

We agreed a fee with villa on Thursday yet we still haven't had cuellar here for contract talks, what the fuck are we doing? When are we thinking about offering him a contract so we know we aren't wasting our time on him?

Goodwillie, as much as I would like him to sign, is not gonna happen while he's up for rape so forget it rangers and move on! This 48 hours bullshit is really starting to fry ma brain, we were told last Monday that hopefully 1 or 2 deals would be done in the next 48 hours.

We're getting back to the negative stories again.

Goodwillie - deal dead/off to Cardiff

Rodriguez - deal dead/priced out

Wallace - deal dead/priced out

Cuellar - off to Spain

Tzavalas - wide of the mark

Gattuso - wide of the mark

Estigaribia - unrealistic

Weir - suspended

McCulloch - suspended

I know it's just paper talk and I'm still optimistic but that will quickly change if we fail to pick up 3 points at Hearts or crash out to Malmo.

Only If you take it as negative. With regaurds to being priced out for rodriguez/Wallace, The true story is were not willing to pay what they want and rightly so, Its not asif we cant afford them, Carlos off to Spain-says who?

Only If you take it as negative. With regaurds to being priced out for rodriguez/Wallace, The true story is were not willing to pay what they want and rightly so, Its not asif we cant afford them, Carlos off to Spain-says who?

I agree that we should set a value and stick to it and not have the fee dictated by other teams. It would be silly to spend 20-50% more than the players are worth.

But the fact remains that there are games on the horizon that are must-wins. If we lose them, that 20-50% saved becomes a massive financial loss.

It's risky not to buy the tools you need to do your job just because the price is more than you'd like. In saying all this though, if Ally thinks he can do it with what he has then I'm fully behind him. I'm far from being pessimistic about our chances of 4IAR and Champs League football.

Personally, I'm happy with £1.1 mill. We are crying out for any player who will sign on the dotted line, even if it is a treacherous, money-grubbing bastard.

Don't blame Whyte for the previous regimes mistakes and just be happy a proven goalscorer might be on his way. It's a shed load better than starting Beattie or healy up front.

Johnny Dangerously likes this

Frankly, I don't understand why :healy: has been given another contract. I hope it's low wages he's on.

It seems like a lot of money for miller, but in this current market it's a fair enough price for someone we know can perform.

Although, he is only going to get slower and less effective now.