Andreas Granqvist

DEFENSIVE pair Andreas Granqvist and Emilson Cribari could be Ally McCoist’s first signings for Rangers.

The new Ibrox boss has targeted the pair as doubts linger over the future of Madjid Bougherra and veteran skipper David Weir.

And McCoist, who still wants to take Kyle Bartley back from Arsenal on loan, will step up his efforts to get in new blood this week when he returns from a brief break.

Swedish cap Granqvist, 26, is currently at Dutch side Groningen, while Brazilian centre-back Cribari plays in Italy for Napoli

McCoist said: “Central defence is very much an area I’m looking at and we have players in mind.

Granqvist started his career at Helsingborgs alongside Henrik Larsson before making a big-money move to Wigan.

Just a year later, however, he was back with Helsingborgs on loan until the summer of 2008 when he signed a £600,000 deal for the Dutch club, now managed by McCoist’s former team-mate Pieter Huistra.

It’s understood Huistra has given his pal a glowing reference on the Swedish internationalist.

Groningen turned down an offer from Turkish side Fenerbahce in January for Granqvist, who was strongly linked with a move to Celtic last summer.

Cribari has spent most of his career in Serie A at Empoli, Udinese, Lazio and Siena before moving to Naples last year for £475,000.

At 31 he has the kind of experience Rangers will need for their European campaign.

And Bartley remains very much on the radar.

We’re hoping to be back in touch with Arsenal this week,” added McCoist.

McCoist will have to move quickly to strengthen his defence, with Bougherra making no secret of the fact that he would like to try his luck elsewhere.

And with just a year left on his contract Rangers will want to get some decent money in for the Algerian rather than let his deal run down and lose out financially.

There are still question marks over Weir as club and player try to decide if he has another year left in him in the SPL and possibly the Champions League.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/250889/Rangers-chase-foreign-defenders

those three would be brilliant, also good that there was a quote about Bartley showing that there is definite interest there. Cribari on a free would be great and

granqvist is brillian too. I think if all three are signed then Bartley would be the one siting out though and used as cover

I'd be happy with Grangvist, Bartley and Weir on a new one year deal. Grangvist has averaged a goal in every 5 games for his current club in Holland. He takes the penalties, scores from corners and even has a couple of 60 yard solo runs up on youtube worth checking out.

However, Olympiacos are very keen on Grangvist and I think that's where he'll end up.

This is off. Genoa just paid 4.5 million for him.

The President of the Genoa Precious has already scored the first hit for next season. It's Andreas Granqvist, Swedish defender of Groningen, high 1.91, the author of 11 goals in the season just ended. Genoa has pulled the competition from Rangers and Galatasaray, paying 4.5 million to the Dutch club.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.calciosport24.it/2011/06/11/genoa-preso-andreas-granqvist/&ei=ZmrzTc6fKcLLhAfqp-X1Bg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCQQ7gEwAQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dandreas%2Bgranqvist%2Bgenoa%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D625%26prmd%3Divnso

english one here too

Genoa beat Rangers to Granqvist?

preziosinews.jpg

Genoa announced an international signing and reports suggest they have beaten Glasgow Rangers to Swede Andreas Granqvist.

On Friday evening President Enrico Preziosi declared he had sealed a deal for “an overseas international” who would be confirmed on Monday.

It sparked rumours on who this could be and Sky Sport Italia maintain the mystery man is Granqvist.

The giant Swedish defender, currently starring for Groningen, was also a transfer target for Rangers and Galatasaray.

Granqvist is very strong in the air and also has an eye for goal, scoring 11 times this season in Holland.

It is believed Genoa paid around €4.5m for the player.

RELATED NEWS

Genoa confirm 'international swoop'

President Enrico Preziosi said Genoa have signed “an overseas international who will be announced on Monday.” More

FC Groningen and Galatasaray were agreed according to a Turkish journalist Ali Eren on the transfer of Andreas Granqvist. Galatasaray is a good defensive reinforcement use after this season just finished eighth in the Turkish league. Last winter showed the "Pride of the North 'a miljoenenbod Fenerbahçe off on the Swede.

But the information in both Swedish and Dutch media, Andreas Granqvist close to a move to Galatasaray. The Swedish defender could be announced any time by Galatasaray.

Found that on some Turkish website.. not sure how reliable it is though.

It should be said that all we know is that Genoa have signed a player from outside Italy. I'll wait until it's official before I lock the thread.

Exactly. Just speculation that it's Granqvist.

Exactly. Just speculation that it's Granqvist.

I reckon Genoa have dropped the name somewhere, though, as Dutch and Swedish press both appear to have gone live with this very quickly.

If 4.5 million euros turns out to be true, I doubt we were seriously at the races on this one anyway.