After that run yesterday I was in agony for the majority of today. My legs felt like they were going to give out any moment, my quads have been sore all day, my calves have been cramping all day and my hamstrings have not had a workout like that in years. I also found that my stomach muscles were really fatigued too. Has anybody else ever had that after running before because I found it slightly odd.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

5years ago the year before my wedding I went to the gym for the first time scaled 24 stone. Today I hit 15stone  thrilled is a understatement. Some saggy skin witch I could get removed but I'll keep i

Obviously as that's just went over yer head

All depends when they get back in the gym and back to full training, still a chance he could get the three fights needed later in the year,  just need to wait and see how it goes. Thats him in th

Posted Images

I acquired the insanity videos, they were intense! Unfortunately I dont have the time or space to get them done being on nightshift/living back at my mum and dads but when I get a new flat I will probably pick it up again.

Got a gym membership for pure though, been going a couple of weeks, the aim is to really go 4-5 times a week but that hasnt happened so far due to a couple of killer nightshifts taking it out of me but I will go tomorrow for a session and probably saturday after the football.

Managed to cut a lot of crap out of my diet. Don't get me wrong, I will still have a chippy and eat a lot of the same things at meals but Ive been getting up after nightshift and having a couple of slices of burgen toast then going off to gym. Coming home, having a meal then heading to work only to have a small snack (snack a jacks/eat natural bar) during the whole 8 hour shift then having toast or porridge when I get home. Not had any of the bags of sweets or chocolate that I would normally consume every day which has been tough!

So I weighed myself with my new digital scales and I weighed in a 200 lbs exactly. A slight loss since I started going to gym but I will be recording that as my starting point, I hope to post a new pic every week with a lesser weight so if I dont, I give everyone all the permission to rip into me!

644038_10152080868060346_473651275_n.jpg

I acquired the insanity videos, they were intense! Unfortunately I dont have the time or space to get them done being on nightshift/living back at my mum and dads but when I get a new flat I will probably pick it up again.

Got a gym membership for pure though, been going a couple of weeks, the aim is to really go 4-5 times a week but that hasnt happened so far due to a couple of killer nightshifts taking it out of me but I will go tomorrow for a session and probably saturday after the football.

Managed to cut a lot of crap out of my diet. Don't get me wrong, I will still have a chippy and eat a lot of the same things at meals but Ive been getting up after nightshift and having a couple of slices of burgen toast then going off to gym. Coming home, having a meal then heading to work only to have a small snack (snack a jacks/eat natural bar) during the whole 8 hour shift then having toast or porridge when I get home. Not had any of the bags of sweets or chocolate that I would normally consume every day which has been tough!

So I weighed myself with my new digital scales and I weighed in a 200 lbs exactly. A slight loss since I started going to gym but I will be recording that as my starting point, I hope to post a new pic every week with a lesser weight so if I dont, I give everyone all the permission to rip into me!

644038_10152080868060346_473651275_n.jpg

Read some earlier posts regards diet mate, i try to be good with the diet 6 days a week but have a day to destroy myself with what i want, it keeps u on track (stallone method).

U aiming for size or tone? If size look at Mr Sifters posts about regime for n targets (tu)

Read some earlier posts regards diet mate, i try to be good with the diet 6 days a week but have a day to destroy myself with what i want, it keeps u on track (stallone method).

U aiming for size or tone? If size look at Mr Sifters posts about regime for n targets (tu)

I bought the Stallone Book a few weeks ago after reading you talking about it in the earlier days of this thread, its pretty good and some exceelent tips and advice in it. One ill go back and read again (tu)

I bought the Stallone Book a few weeks ago after reading you talking about it in the earlier days of this thread, its pretty good and some exceelent tips and advice in it. One ill go back and read again (tu)

Good stuff mate (tu) it's a great motivator but i only really apply the rules of 6 days and 1, a lot of the foods aren't really to my taste, but some of the moves he shows you in the work out chapters were new to me, he's got one i think called running man, started incorporating that into my workout n my tris were fuckin screaming the next day, excellent exercise that he developed himself for rambo 3.

Ran 10.35k in the gym today - really happy with it, but my knee is sore, feels a little fluidy as well :(

i get that on the treadmill as well mate, thats why i alternate days on the X trainer and treadmill. i sometimes get lower back issues after a few days in a row on the treadmill as well.

what trainers are you wearing?

After that run yesterday I was in agony for the majority of today. My legs felt like they were going to give out any moment, my quads have been sore all day, my calves have been cramping all day and my hamstrings have not had a workout like that in years. I also found that my stomach muscles were really fatigued too. Has anybody else ever had that after running before because I found it slightly odd.

does your gym have a powerplate or steam room?

i find doing a few stretches on the plate after a hard workout really kills the soreness you normally get the next day, or if theres a steam room a cold shower then a spell in there with a stretch once your warm again really helps.

thats one of the main reasons i left the puregym for the DW - i used to use the puregym at silly hours but with no powerplate and steam room i was always waking up with stiff legs.

as for the stomach muscles, it could be way you run. Are you doing sprints and/or do you move your arms a lot? If so you'll find your body twisting between strides works the top of your stomach too - always a bonus IMO.

I've been lifting on and off for the best part of twenty years. I wish I knew back then what I do now.

To be honest, there is so much complete and utter bullshit out there it makes it very difficult for people. It also doesn't help that most people think they're special and unique, throw into the mix that the vast majority don't stick at anything and they also hear crap like they need variety to "shock your muscles" then you end up with magazines like Men's Fitness/Health.

It's all quite simple:-

Barbell

Squat, Deadlift, Press, Bench

Train three times per week, sets of 5

Add weight to the bar every time you train

Eat fresh, whole foods where possible

Consume enough calories to grow

Consume at least 1g of protein per pound of body weight (nearer 1.5g when beyond novice stage)

Sleep at least eight hours per night

Good quality refined omega 3 supplement

Most other things are just background noise.

Nice succinct summary - repped. One question I have: I notice you haven't included Rows in there; any particular reason behind that?

Nice succinct summary - repped. One question I have: I notice you haven't included Rows in there; any particular reason behind that?

Properly executed barbell rows, shrugs and cleans are great as well. Add in chins and dips and you've got a nice group of training lifts with assistance exercises.

I never mentioned them all as I think for a novice it detracts from the most important lifts. Once people are proficient in these (at least squatting 1.5 x bodweight, deadlifting 2 x BW, benching 1 x BW, pressing circa 85% BW) then I think that's when assistance work becomes more important.

People need to understand this is the way to get strong and all it actually takes is consistently training, working hard, eating enough and getting good quality sleep.

Been hitting the gym again.

I am around 11st 11lbs, I tend to go 3 times a week to the gym my workout consists of:

• 15-25mins on the Stepper/Cross-trainer
  • 30 bench press reps and 30 dips/pull ups
  • 10 min vibrating plate exercises / sit ups

Then I walk 1.7 miles to work and back 4 out of 5 days a week

Good stuff mate (tu) it's a great motivator but i only really apply the rules of 6 days and 1, a lot of the foods aren't really to my taste, but some of the moves he shows you in the work out chapters were new to me, he's got one i think called running man, started incorporating that into my workout n my tris were fuckin screaming the next day, excellent exercise that he developed himself for rambo 3.

It was more his life tips and motivation that was good for me. The diet pages I skimmed through, will come back to the exercises when I have progressed enough on the 5 x 5 program.

First hockey match of the season yesterday down in Ayr, where we lost 3-0 last year. We won 4-0 this time around, but from a fitness perspective, I was annoyingly knackered afterwards, so I'm going to have to do some endurance work over the next few weeks to get back up to scratch.

Only thing is that I can't be arsed with the treadmills in the gym( :sleep1:), so I'm gonna have to take to the streets :D

Went and signed up for the gym today.

Moved to England recentnly so I was looking for something to on weeknights/weekends.

I don't think I want to get any (or too much) bigger as in probably about the right size for my height but I'm definitely looking to turn the flabby-ness into muscle :lol:

Probably going to start with cardio to get my fitness back up as I haven't done much since at least new year.

My free gym membership from college last year runs out on friday so that could fuck things up. Think i'll just save up and buy basic weightlifting equipment and use it at home. Been getting into crossfit style workouts anyway so dont need the majority of things in a gym.

Also got my 6 week checkup from my op tomorrow which i'm quite confident about, seen alot of progress myself

Squats - 85KG

Bench Press - 45KG

Deadlift - 65KG

Done all reps and sets 5 x 5 tonight again. Feeling a lot stronger in the few weeks since I have started and will be attempting to squat my own body weight on Wed when I move the squats up to 90KG. Deadlift should have been barbell rows tonight, got mixed up! doh

Anyone else at the Gym tonight? Let's see some figures :pipe: