• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

5years ago the year before my wedding I went to the gym for the first time scaled 24 stone. Today I hit 15stone  thrilled is a understatement. Some saggy skin witch I could get removed but I'll keep i

Obviously as that's just went over yer head

All depends when they get back in the gym and back to full training, still a chance he could get the three fights needed later in the year,  just need to wait and see how it goes. Thats him in th

Posted Images

Went swimming with the missus tonight to keep myself ticking over. Managed 40 lengths before flopping into the steam room. I'm absolutely starving after it, gives you an appetite like nothing else.

Bad news about the knee Dado (td). How did you manage to lose weight on holiday?

Went swimming with the missus tonight to keep myself ticking over. Managed 40 lengths before flopping into the steam room. I'm absolutely starving after it, gives you an appetite like nothing else.

Bad news about the knee Dado (td). How did you manage to lose weight on holiday?

It's not ideal, but it's hopefully not going to be anything serious. The plan at the moment is to pop the clip out that was initially used to hold the ligament graft together because it sticks out and is causing a lot irritation and then do a bit of keyhole and have a little look around to make sure there isn't anything else out of the ordinary. They reckon it'll only take a few weeks to recover from afterwards.

I was just reasonably careful with what I ate tbh. I didn't touch a drop of fizzy juice, sugary cereal or chocolate for the entire two and a half weeks weeks and we did a shit load of walking (I was left with the rucksack with all the water, sun cream, beach towels and other holiday shit in it too so it weighed a fair bit) most days. Either that or I simply sweated in the heat to the point that it caused me to lose weight :craphead:

How are you getting on with the 5x5 programme? Still seeing a lot of gains?

It's not ideal, but it's hopefully not going to be anything serious. The plan at the moment is to pop the clip out that was initially used to hold the ligament graft together because it sticks out and is causing a lot irritation and then do a bit of keyhole and have a little look around to make sure there isn't anything else out of the ordinary. They reckon it'll only take a few weeks to recover from afterwards.

I was just reasonably careful with what I ate tbh. I didn't touch a drop of fizzy juice, sugary cereal or chocolate for the entire two and a half weeks weeks and we did a shit load of walking (I was left with the rucksack with all the water, sun cream, beach towels and other holiday shit in it too so it weighed a fair bit) most days. Either that or I simply sweated in the heat to the point that it caused me to lose weight :craphead:

How are you getting on with the 5x5 programme? Still seeing a lot of gains?

Fair bit of discipline to do that on holiday mate!

I dropped down 10% as I was struggling with my form on the squats, had a bit of a shit week at the gym altogether to be honest. Thinking about trying to get a PT session in to see where I am going wrong, something's not working.

I did a bit of a circuit on the weights today, going to be sore tomorrow. I'm going to mix it up this trip and do a bit less cardio and a bit more weights, planning to keep that up over the winter to tone up but keep my cardio fitness ticking over until spring time.

Having said that, winter is normally fattening up season for me, so I could be getting on the cakes and chocolates instead :)

I did a bit of a circuit on the weights today, going to be sore tomorrow. I'm going to mix it up this trip and do a bit less cardio and a bit more weights, planning to keep that up over the winter to tone up but keep my cardio fitness ticking over until spring time.

Having said that, winter is normally fattening up season for me, so I could be getting on the cakes and chocolates instead :)

Fattening up season :lol:

I played on an 11 a side pitch for the first time on Sunday and it was a bit of an eye opener. Back to the gym today after a self imposed hiatus due to the fact I collapsed last time I was there! (overworking :lol:) Im booked in for a weigh in session with the PT's so it will provide me with a fair bit of motivation I hope. Its what im struggling. Once I move back out of my mum and dads aswell my diet will be a lot more strict.

Been doing the 5x5 workout for 3 weeks now, and as I previously said, i'll post my results up for people to see if i'm progressing. Have to thank Dado for suggesting this, as its honestly the best thing i've ever done gym-wise. I'm only doing 3-4 excersizes a day, 3 times a week. And i'm shocked, but less does seem to be more in this case. Obviously the intensity at which you train is far more crucial than doing loads of excersizes

I'll be dropping down to 3x5 on some excersizes over the coming weeks, as i'm definately going to start struggling over the next 2-3weeks on some excersizes. Hopefully this'll mean that I can keep progressing up weights.

Starting weights:

Squat 77.5kg

Bench 52.5kg

Shoulder Press 35kg

Deadlift 55kg

Row 57.5kg

Barbell Curls (10kg on each side exc. bar)

As of last session:

Squat 87.5kg 55553

Row 67.5kg 5554

Bench 62.5kg 55553

Shoulder Press 45kg 55555

Deadlift 65kg 55555

Barbell Curls (13.75kg on each side exc. bar) 5554

Will post again in a few weeks to see if I can keep progressing at the rate I am (unlikely). If anyones got any good advice it would be appreciated. I'm bulking atm, but I don't want to get a massive gut if possible. If anyone can suggest any excersizes to add that'll focus on core, it'd be much appreciated

Been doing the 5x5 workout for 3 weeks now, and as I previously said, i'll post my results up for people to see if i'm progressing. Have to thank Dado for suggesting this, as its honestly the best thing i've ever done gym-wise. I'm only doing 3-4 excersizes a day, 3 times a week. And i'm shocked, but less does seem to be more in this case. Obviously the intensity at which you train is far more crucial than doing loads of excersizes

I'll be dropping down to 3x5 on some excersizes over the coming weeks, as i'm definately going to start struggling over the next 2-3weeks on some excersizes. Hopefully this'll mean that I can keep progressing up weights.

Starting weights:

Squat 77.5kg

Bench 52.5kg

Shoulder Press 35kg

Deadlift 55kg

Row 57.5kg

As of last session:

Squat 87.5kg 55553

Row 67.5kg 5554

Bench 62.5kg 55553

Deadlift 65kg 55555

Will post again in a few weeks to see if I can keep progressing at the rate I am (unlikely). If anyones got any good advice it would be appreciated. I'm bulking atm, but I don't want to get a massive gut if possible. If anyone can suggest any excersizes to add that'll focus on core, it'd be much appreciated

Starting weights:

Squat 77.5kg

Bench 52.5kg

Shoulder Press 35kg

Deadlift 55kg

Row 57.5kg

As of last session:

Squat 87.5kg 55553

Row 67.5kg 5554

Bench 62.5kg 55553

Deadlift 65kg 55555

Really need your height and weight to judge. I certainly wouldn't be deadlifting 5x5. 1x5 is enough. You should also be deadlifting more than you squat.

I can't say it often enough but if you want to strength train buy Starting Strength by Rippetoe and Kilgore. From a training point of view it's the greatest investment you'll ever make.

As for "the core"? If you're squatting, deadlifting and pressing you don't need to do anything specific. If you're only interested in seeing your abs then I'd suggest strength training isn't for you. Visible abs indicate low body fat and nothing else.

If you don't eat enough and get good quality sleep your strength gains will be severely limited. Strength gains mean weight gains, weight gains on this programme mean about two thirds muscle and one third fat.

Really need your height and weight to judge. I certainly wouldn't be deadlifting 5x5. 1x5 is enough. You should also be deadlifting more than you squat.

I can't say it often enough but if you want to strength train buy Starting Strength by Rippetoe and Kilgore. From a training point of view it's the greatest investment you'll ever make.

As for "the core"? If you're squatting, deadlifting and pressing you don't need to do anything specific. If you're only interested in seeing your abs then I'd suggest strength training isn't for you. Visible abs indicate low body fat and nothing else.

If you don't eat enough and get good quality sleep your strength gains will be severely limited. Strength gains mean weight gains, weight gains on this programme mean about two thirds muscle and one third fat.

I'm eating fairly well and regularly. I don't mind putting on fat during the winter months, I'll just have to work harder during the cutting phase.

I'm 5foot 8 and 72kg. Hoping to get up to around 80kg by Xmas if possible, have been stuck around that weight for a while. So am going to start eating as much as possible to increase chance of weight gain

I'm eating fairly well and regularly. I don't mind putting on fat during the winter months, I'll just have to work harder during the cutting phase.

I'm 5foot 8 and 72kg. Hoping to get up to around 80kg by Xmas if possible, have been stuck around that weight for a while. So am going to start eating as much as possible to increase chance of weight gain

That's a reasonable target, if you're doing the barbell exercises properly, adding 2.5kg to the bar every time you go (5kg on the deadlift) and consuming enough you should blow that away in 10 weeks.

Wendler reckons you only look as though you lift if you weigh a minimum of three pounds for every inch on height. You're an ideal height for these lifts, other than the deadlift they don't favour taller men.

Keep training, consume 4 litres of full fat milk daily in addition to your regular meals and you'll get there no problem.

People don't gain weight and strength because they're simply not prepared to put the work in. The work means doing the lifts properly, adding weight to the bar, consuming enough food and getting adequate rest.

plymouthranger likes this
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok guys need some advice

I want to know how long it will take to start seeing some amazing results

At the moment I am overweight, 5'7 and 14 1/2 stone

Doing Cardio 5 nights a week which is Treadmill 18 mins at 7.5 avg speed and Vario for 10 minutes at level 11

Current weightlifting 2x10 Pushups, 2x15 12.5kg Chest Flyovers, 2x15 25kg bench press, 2x15 10kg tricep curls (rope) and 2x15 12.5 bicep curls -this circuit 3 times a week

Current diet, Weetabix with Skimmed Milk in the morning, banana 3 hours later, Brown bread and Tuna with light mayo for lunch, 2 clementines and apple for snack and then a fuckload of peas and carrots with some form of meat for dinner add in about 3 litres of water per day, my 2 days off I play 5 a sides for an hour

Already lost some weight but was wondering if anyone had been on a similiar routine and diet and lost any weight, if so how long?

Ok guys need some advice

I want to know how long it will take to start seeing some amazing results

At the moment I am overweight, 5'7 and 14 1/2 stone

Doing Cardio 5 nights a week which is Treadmill 18 mins at 7.5 avg speed and Vario for 10 minutes at level 11

Current weightlifting 2x10 Pushups, 2x15 12.5kg Chest Flyovers, 2x15 25kg bench press, 2x15 10kg tricep curls (rope) and 2x15 12.5 bicep curls -this circuit 3 times a week

Current diet, Weetabix with Skimmed Milk in the morning, banana 3 hours later, Brown bread and Tuna with light mayo for lunch, 2 clementines and apple for snack and then a fuckload of peas and carrots with some form of meat for dinner add in about 3 litres of water per day, my 2 days off I play 5 a sides for an hour

Already lost some weight but was wondering if anyone had been on a similiar routine and diet and lost any weight, if so how long?

I'm not too dissimilar to you in terms of height & weight. I'm 5'8.5 & my weight has fluctuated between 13.5-17 stone since I was about 18.

Your diets looks not too bad from what I can see, but other people will be able to better advise you than I can.

With your weighys I think you would be better off doing weights to target the big muscle groups. Bicep curls will do nothing for you if you are new to any sort of lifting. Focus on the big muscle groups: shoulders, chest, back & quads.

With regards to your cardio have you thought about trying HIIT rather than steady cardio training? Try two minutes walking/two minutes running or a hill programme on the vario.

It's safe to lose 1-2 lbs a week so you just need to be patient. There isn't a quick fix, it's a lifestyle change.

I'm not too dissimilar to you in terms of height & weight. I'm 5'8.5 & my weight has fluctuated between 13.5-17 stone since I was about 18.

Your diets looks not too bad from what I can see, but other people will be able to better advise you than I can.

With your weighys I think you would be better off doing weights to target the big muscle groups. Bicep curls will do nothing for you if you are new to any sort of lifting. Focus on the big muscle groups: shoulders, chest, back & quads.

With regards to your cardio have you thought about trying HIIT rather than steady cardio training? Try two minutes walking/two minutes running or a hill programme on the vario.

It's safe to lose 1-2 lbs a week so you just need to be patient. There isn't a quick fix, it's a lifestyle change.

Cheers DB, Been at this for 3 weeks and have felt changes more than seen them

Hoping to one day just wake up and there's a big fucking peck staring at my face :lol:

Trying to work the arms and chest and once the next 2 weeks are up will try and hit the back

Dont want to do too much weights as it puts me off the gym

Been off the fags for 9 months now and absolutely amazed at the changes in endurance and cardio

Cheers DB, Been at this for 3 weeks and have felt changes more than seen them

Hoping to one day just wake up and there's a big fucking peck staring at my face :lol:

Trying to work the arms and chest and once the next 2 weeks are up will try and hit the back

Dont want to do too much weights as it puts me off the gym

Been off the fags for 9 months now and absolutely amazed at the changes in endurance and cardio

I'm not a big weight guy either. I know it's seen as vital to building a healthy body but I just don't enjoy it as much as I do getting on a spinner or a rower & going hell for leather for 45-60 minutes but weights really can help build a good base to build upon.

If you keep plugging away you'll eventually see the results that you want.

Decided a couple weeks back I wanted to lose weight and get a bit of muscle. Had a bad time with girls recently so got so desperate I'm trying to keep fit!

Only 5ft6 but surely that's not the reason :lol:

Right so I've just not eaten between meals once in two weeks, and before every meal I've had two glasses of water to fill me up a little bit.

Was 11st10, now 11st4 and still going. Doing 5Kg dumbbells every day as well, different exercises with them.

Anyone who is looking for a weight gainer, you can get 8KG of Monster Mass from the follwoing site for the next 12 hours;

http://www.supplemen...ster-Matrix.asp

This stuff any good? I've been using the hardgainer extreme one off my protein, but it doesn't have nearly the kcal intake that this does. Might give it a shot.

Also, if anyone could recommend some excersizes to add ontop of my 5x5 programme it'd be much appreciated (posted it a page ago). My squat and deadlift are increasing weekly, but I don't think my form is good enough for rows so i'm gonna either drop down weight on them, or try and find an alternative. I'm also finding that i'm finishing sessions quite quickly (I know its all about intensity), for example yesterday I did

5x5 squats at 100

3x5 deadlift at 85kg

5x5 shoulder press (using barbell) at 50kg

however I was finished within half an hour. Should I add to my routine, as I don't want to get in my comfort zone and lose gains/stall them. I know i'm doing big compound lifts so you dont want to overtrain, but surely throwing in 1-2 more compound excersizes a day (i'm only training 3 times a week) will only benefit me? Any advice is much appreciated lads