The Empire Strikes Back

D'Artagnan

There were rumours.

Rumours which gave birth to hope, a trait and emotion long forgotten amongst us. In a drought ridden land such hope was akin to the distant peels of thunder from an approaching storm – there was an air of expectancy but no certainty it would come.

There is a whole generation of Rangers supporters who have been reared on the shambolic strategy of “dignified silence”. The know and indeed expect no better. Small wonder then that within the ranks of our support there is an apathy and resignation which is defeatist in nature. Do not condemn them... for not only do they not know, they have not experienced anything else.

Looking back, painfully, on these last 20 years I am reminded of a scene from King Arthur. As his queen's honour is besmirched in public the king asks of his knight's...”Is there not ONE among you who would seek to defend her ?”

Likewise the Rangers support have waited, forlornly, for a champion to step forward and to cast that “favourable eye” towards Rangers Football Club. And then seek with all their strength and might to defend her.

Yesterday that champion rose, and when he struck it was both decisive and unexpected.

Yesterday's Daily Record (Keith Jackson) led with a story that Rangers were in a cash crisis, with new manager Ally McCoist very much looking like the pauper rather than the prince. Within hours however rumours were in circulation that Jackson had been banned from Ibrox and the Daily Record had withdrawn the story.

Unexpectantly, but with precision and guile, the empire had struck back and her victory was not only overwhelming it was also a significant benchmark. Had there been any truth to the story, any journalistic integrity or credibility to the sources then of course the newspaper in question would not have withdrawn the article. The defeat the Daily Record suffered yesterday was a a particularly humiliating one.

The message is crystal clear.

There may have been a day when lies and untruths about our club went unchallenged due to apathy from within. That day is over...the King is dead...Long live the King ! This was was no “shot across the bows” empty warning, it was a full broadside delivered with such force that it sent the recipients reeling. Actions, as always, speak so much louder than words.

Yesterday's events will have reverberated around Scottish media circles like a Taleban parcel at a pass the parcel game. In fact maybe before those “gentlemen of the press” next publish their latest besmirching of Rangers Football Club they will ponder the question...

“Is there not ONE among you who will defend her ?”

Step forward the Whyte Knight.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one d'art. I like how you kept your nose clean there suggesting a taliban bomb, you could easily gone down a different route there. Good read as always

Why didn't you post in the duplicate thread that I've already posted in? :dry:

Admins need to remove one of these

Whyte has only defended his own position, not the clubs. We're still going to be called stone age bigots from every corner and I bet nobody at Rangers will do anything about it.

So do you think that the article in question did not damage the club's financial credibility, particularly at a time when we are trying to attract new blood into the club ?

Whyte has only defended his own position, not the clubs. We're still going to be called stone age bigots from every corner and I bet nobody at Rangers will do anything about it.

What a strange post.

Why didn't you post in the duplicate thread that I've already posted in? :dry:

Admins need to remove one of these

Someone has an over-inflated sense of self importance here.

So do you think that the article in question did not damage the club's financial credibility, particularly at a time when we are trying to attract new blood into the club ?

Of course it does.

Your piece of Shakespeare above is based on a rumour though, I am not saying itbis untrue but at the moment it is just a rumour.

Fair enough, as people said, he doesn't need to come out and make a statemwnt about every article in a newspaper but something like that one that has the backbone to do some damage should be brought to public awareness that it is bullshit and the club will no longer stand for the medias attempts at defacing our club

What I mean is, if Keith Jackson had written a scathing article about our fans and what we stand for, we wouldn't have heard a thing. No ban would have been imposed. The article in question concerned how Craig Whyte was going to run the club and how much money he could commit to us. It attacked him, so he defended himself. I doubt he'll defend us, which is what most of us really want. I don't think Keith Jacksons article is an example of the kind of attack against us that most of us are really bothered by, which are those portraying us as a bunch of scumbags.

Someone has an over-inflated sense of self importance here.

There was a clear 2 minute gap between our posts where he could have seen one of the threads had already been posted on, then posted on it too, which would have been the commonsense approach, if he'd seen it, that is.

Of course it does.

Your piece of Shakespeare above is based on a rumour though, I am not saying itbis untrue but at the moment it is just a rumour.

Fair enough, as people said, he doesn't need to come out and make a statemwnt about every article in a newspaper but something like that one that has the backbone to do some damage should be brought to public awareness that it is bullshit and the club will no longer stand for the medias attempts at defacing our club

Rumour ?

Did the offending article in question get removed by the newspaper in question.

A simple yes or no will suffice.

What I mean is, if Keith Jackson had written a scathing article about our fans and what we stand for, we wouldn't have heard a thing. No ban would have been imposed. The article in question concerned how Craig Whyte was going to run the club and how much money he could commit to us. It attacked him, so he defended himself. I doubt he'll defend us, which is what most of us really want. I don't think Keith Jacksons article is an example of the kind of attack against us that most of us are really bothered by, which are those portraying us as a bunch of scumbags.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

Lies directed at Rangers FC deserve to be challenged when they debilitate our ability to operate successfully. That article did just that.

Yes it remains to be seen whether he will defend the supporters against malicious and unwarranted attacks. But yesterday's decisive action was a first from the club in a long long time and a step in the right direction. I have little doubt also, that it will not have gone unnoticed by others.

Rumour ?

Did the offending article in question get removed by the newspaper in question.

A simple yes or no will suffice.

According to everyone who went and checked, yes.

There is no proof it was Craig Whyte who got it removed though, yet.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

Lies directed at Rangers FC deserve to be challenged when they debilitate our ability to operate successfully. That article did just that.

Yes it remains to be seen whether he will defend the supporters against malicious and unwarranted attacks. But yesterday's decisive action was a first from the club in a long long time and a step in the right direction. I have little doubt also, that it will not have gone unnoticed by others.

I agree, challenging it was the right thing to do. I'm glad he did. As you say though, it remains to be seen whether his shield is big enough to cover the fans, or if it's only reserved for lies that threaten his position or the clubs success.

According to everyone who went and checked, yes.

There is no proof it was Craig Whyte who got it removed though, yet.

No you are right... perhaps the newspaper in question performed the humiliating climb down because someone from Celtic FC phoned them and told them to remove it.

Or do you maybe think Batman is a Bear and he phoned them from the Bat Cave and threatened them with a Holy Pow ?

It's what I believe

You seem very sure:

What I mean is, if Keith Jackson had written a scathing article about our fans and what we stand for, we wouldn't have heard a thing. No ban would have been imposed.

What do you base your 'belief' on?