Champions League for Champions only?

TBagalag

I have always believed the Champions League should be for the Champions of each country, no matter the standard of the league they play in. The way it has been run up till now is one of the major reasons for countries like Belgium, Holland, and Scotland falling behind in the financial stakes.

Things will only get worse as the big clubs from the big leagues get richer by the year, and the smaller clubs from the smaller leagues get poorer.

It's run by the big clubs to suit the big clubs.

How many seasons go past when you can't pick out the 2 clubs who will qualify from EVERY section in the CL?

TV has fucked the game in more ways than one.

3pm kick offs on a Saturday is another thing that should be brought back, but it won't be due to the TV deals.

The only losers nowadays are the punters who roll up to all the games with their hard earned and actually follow and support their clubs financially.

And before anybody jumps oan me, I am not in any way saying these guys are better fans than the ones who don't follow the club by putting their hands in their pocket!

Hi

I agree with everything you posted about fitba.

TV has ruined it, at one time every wednesday night our local pubs/clubs used to fill with peeps wanting to watch CL football now they are empty.

Uefa & Fifa are a farce-greedy, moneymaking cartels ran by jumped up ex pros & nonentities who regard themselves as some kind of polititians.

I cant really be arsed watching it anymore & find myself not even watching some lesser Gers games.

There is something rotten to the core about modern football, same year in year out.

Football authorities throughout Europe will not act even tho gates are diving downwards at scary rates-so its not just me & my mates who are thinking like this.

When you get Rats like Ryan Giggs et al, it just gets surreal that they think they can do what they like-even shagging & inpregnating your brothers wife.

Them's the rules.

Instead of bitching about how unfair it is we should concentrate on making ourselves good enough to challenge these teams. Over to you, McCoist.

A totally and completely unrealistic outlook mate.

How can smaller clubs compete with these large clubs given the vast gulf in finances, which was partly created by UEFA/TV money in the first place?

Do you seriously think McCoist can take the Rangers to CL glory IF he is a good enough Manager, given the resources available to him compared with the likes of Man Utd, Barcelona, Chelsea, etc?

A totally and completely unrealistic outlook mate.

How can smaller clubs compete with these large clubs given the vast gulf in finances, which was partly created by UEFA/TV money in the first place?

Do you seriously think McCoist can take the Rangers to CL glory IF he is a good enough Manager, given the resources available to him compared with the likes of Man Utd, Barcelona, Chelsea, etc?

Why not? Tell me why Man City didn't win the EPL if it's down to cash. Can you explain Real Madrid's lack of success despite outspending every other team for years?

It's not all down to money, although it does help, but sometimes things just click.

Whilst I hate the fact that after winning a championship, we are still living in hope that we qualify for the Champions League, I cannot see it ever changing now.

The tournament is very attractive. There are so many teams now that are capable of winning the Champions League, whether they won their domestic title or not.

Think we have it bad? Champions in Holland can find themselves playing a qualifier whilst the runners up can go straight into the Champions League, depending on playoffs. Imagine that were the same scenario between Rangers and Celtc!

As we are about to depart on yet another European adventure, does anyone else think that the Champions League needs to go back to the format of being for the Champions of each individual country. I for one feel that the competition is cheapened by teams who may play in decent leagues getting automatic entry to group phases by finishing third while teams like ourselves, who are champions of our country are left to negotiate tough qualifiers just for the pleasure to play there. How are teams from smaller countries supposed to compete financially with already wealthy sides from wealthy leagues swallowing up champions league money year after year, without having to do very much to get there. Don't think this will change anytime soon, in the meantime UEFA's big wigs just keep filling up their coffers.

A simpler solution would be to stop calling it the 'Champions League' and call it "The bigger the audience in your country the more we want you in it league"

Why not? Tell me why Man City didn't win the EPL if it's down to cash. Can you explain Real Madrid's lack of success despite outspending every other team for years?

It's not all down to money, although it does help, but sometimes things just click.

Aye, things click easier though when ye've got cunts like Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Puyol.

We've got fuckin Edu, McCulloch, Foster, and whoever else is fuckin fit that week. :D

I personally would prefer more 'champions' and less english teams in the champs league proper. Obv not going to happen due to finances, I think it was better when 'lesser' european teams would come good every few years (eg. Steaua Bucureşti, Porto, Ajax, Red Star Belgrade, Notts Forest to name a few) and go all the way or to the final etc. That was a proper EUROPEAN competition. But now its the spain/italy/england/germany select.

I reckon the top seeded 'champions' of europe should go straight into the group section.

Unseeded champions play each other for spots in group stage

And the 2nd/3rd/4th place teams from European big leagues should all play 2 or 3 rounds of qualifers vs each other to qualify. There would still be good TV money in Arsenal/Bayern/Inter/Real etc playing a few rounds of qualifers at the start of the new seasons, no?