Gordon Smith to be appointed director of football ?

MCLACHLAN1

I must agree - he's intelligent, articulate and knows both the footballing aspirations of The Rangers and the culture that surrounds the club.

He is also another winner and we can never have too many of those. On a personal note - I rated him very highly as a player for us.

I mind watching Rangers gold videos and he seemed good! Was he a good player mate?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

do you even know who g smith is i mean you say you are a 19 year old french guy ffs go oot eat a baguette drink some wine fuck a beautiful french girl.

He was a Rangers player and former director of the SFA. He is also a pundit of the BBC, I think. That's all I know about him tbh.

Sorry to have an open-mind btw, but I like learning things about my favourite football club and also about Scotland ;)

He was a Rangers player and former director of the SFA. He is also a pundit of the BBC, I think. That's all I know about him tbh.

Sorry to have an open-mind btw, but I like learning things about my favourite football club and also about Scotland ;)

well good for you but i couldnt tell you who played for st etienne in 1977

His interviewing skills? You'll have to expand on that one I'm afraid. Your other assertion is just pish I'm afraid.

Think it went along these lines whilst he was serving us up Craig Burley!

SFA Boss Gordon Smith: I Won't Be Hounded Out By Critics

Mar 1 2008 Exclusive by Hugh Keevins

GORDON SMITH arrived for our meeting inside Hampden's boardroom straight from his Friday morning boxing class. Where else?

The SFA's chief executive has been a man on the ropes since the start of this week, when Dundee United manager Craig Levein accused him of lurching from one blunder to the next.

Being a punchbag for the public and the press has been an occupational hazard which has started to cause distress to Smith's parents.

But coming out fighting, which is what he did yesterday in an exclusive Record Sport interview, has become a way of life for him since he was appointed to his post last July - and found out that when people said they wanted a football man in charge of the game they didn't really mean that at all.

Yet before Smith examined the reasons why it's hard to get an even break when you're a former Rangers player who was also once part of the media, he owned up to the biggest mistake he's made since taking office.

And by telling a story against himself, he contradicted what he believes is the public perception of him as being vain, conceited, arrogant and too sensitive to criticism to be in a position of power.

Smith said: "On the day in January when we formally announced George Burley's appointment as the new Scotland manager I made a point of addressing those who had questioned the need to conduct interviews for the job.

"With the benefit of hindsight, I now regret doing that. I don't think there was anything wrong with what I said but, on reflection, I should have chosen another time and another place.

"I gave my critics a chance to react to what I'd done. I can see why what I did has been thrown back at me.

"I had promised a new manager by the end of January and I had delivered on my promise. I should have left it at that. I made an error of judgment." Before then - and this is something for which he'll make no apology - Smith made headlines when it was said he didn't tell Mark McGhee he wasn't getting the Scotland job and the Motherwell manager found out from a TV reporter during a live interview.

The popular myth is that Smith didn't have McGhee's mobile telephone number.

He said: "I could have got hold of Mark's number in two seconds.

"But I had been dealing with his agent from the outset and that's the way it stayed. I've subsequently spoken to Mark about the 'incident' and we've had a laugh about it.

"My parents have been getting upset about all of the negative publicity I've attracted but I've assured them I'm fine and the job's fine.

"I study the job I do and I know I'm well capable of being the SFA's chief executive.

"Craig Levein had his say when I was trying to make light of the situation that the fans of every club in Scotland think referees are biased against their team.

"He accused me of one blunder after another but what blunders is he talking about? I've owned up to wishing I'd left out what I said at the press conference for the new Scotland manager.

"But what else have I done that's so terribly wrong? All I ask is fairness and no preconceived agendas."

Smith already knows that's asking too much.

When it was announced Rangers had been successful in getting a cancellation of their league fixture with Gretna, so that their players could rest properly before playing Lyon in the final Champions League group stage match, Smith's mail started to swell.

He said: "I got loads of letters from Celtic supporters saying they knew I'd do anything in my power to help Rangers win the league.

"But the cancellation of an SPL match has absolutely nothing to do with the SFA.

"My appointment as chief executive alienated some Celtic fans because I used to play for Rangers - not all of the Celtic fans, but some of them. We should all be above that kind of thing in this modern-day society but it remains an issue in Scotland.

"That problem of alienation through my Rangers connection will be with me for as long as I'm employed by the SFA."

That much was made certain when Smith contributed to a book about Rangers and how they're perceived by the public.

The author offered him the chance to remove certain references prior to publication on the basis that he had expressed his views before attaining a high-profile position in the game. He refused. Smith said: "I would have been false if I'd changed my words and hidden from what I really meant. I wanted to retain ownership of my thoughts and beliefs.

"Sectarianism goes on across the board in Scotland and I was trying to add something helpful to the debate on the subject.

"But, contrary to public misconception, I was in no way critical of the Catholic school system and anybody who says I was clearly hasn't read my chapter in the book.

"All of these things have conspired to make me even stronger in my resolve to succeed at my job. I can deal with the fact that there are people who are against me.

"Am I supposed to be like the Prime Minister and never deviate from the original text? Am I supposed to ditch any sense of humour? Why would I have to do that?

"I haven't been worn down by the constant sniping and people saying I'm having a terrible time in the job.

"I would feel an awful lot worse if I believed for just one minute that any of this criticism was accurate.

"People are entitled to hold any opinion of me that they like and I might give the impression that I am guilty of being what they think I am.

"But I have researched the subject and my belief is that people with low selfesteem attack those who are more confident. I know I have faults and I get on with it."

Smith finished our conversation with another couple of off-the-cuff remarks to counter the suggestion he is an ego-maniac who craves attention.

He said: "I was in Geneva during the week for the first meeting of UEFA's newly-formed Football Committee. Michel Platini was there, Franz Beckenbauer was there, Andy Roxburgh was there. I was the only one in the room I'd never heard of.

"But all of the headlines recently did drive me to see a psychiatrist. I said to him, 'I feel as if everyone's out to get me'. and he replied, 'No. you're quite right, Gordon. Everyone is out to get you'."

His critics would probably say that's the type of joke he would tell against himself. That's why he can't win but won't give in.

So have you ever been to a game etc? how did you manage to get interested in Rangers?

Unfortuantely I haven't :disappointment: I always go to Scotland with my aunt, and she hates football and she tinks football fans are all holligans :rolleyes:

I'll try to attend a game next season, as I might go to Glasgow in February :pipe:

I've also managed to get my friends interested in Scotland and Rangers btw :lol:

As for getting interested in Rangers, I don't actually remember why Rangers but not the scum tbh ! I remember going to the Rangers website, and I guess it's how it started lol. Actually I started support them without even knowing they were the best ever Scottish club :lol:

Unfortuantely I haven't :disappointment: I always go to Scotland with my aunt, and she hates football and she tinks football fans are all holligans :rolleyes:

I'll try to attend a game next season, as I might go to Glasgow in February :pipe:

I've also managed to get my friends interested in Scotland and Rangers btw :lol:

As for getting interested in Rangers, I don't actually remember why Rangers but not the scum tbh ! I remember going to the Rangers website, and I guess it's how it started lol. Actually I started support them without even knowing they were the best ever Scottish club :lol:

:lol:

Well mate if your over and want to go to a game i will give you my Season ticket if need be and you can go as a freebie (tu)

:lol:

Well mate if your over and want to go to a game i will give you my Season ticket if need be and you can go as a freebie (tu)

Thanks mate ! (tu):D:D I wouldn't mind paying actually, I think I'd enjoy giving some money to my club :uk: It's my aunt who is the biggest problem :dry:

Thanks mate ! (tu):D:D I wouldn't mind paying actually, I think I'd enjoy giving some money to my club :uk: It's my aunt who is the biggest problem :dry:

Na mate i can see Rangers everytime they play at Ibrox, you can only see that via a stream. you can have it if need be when you are over

little dick was director at gers as well and he never signed any cunt, then fucked off

I dont think Dick was brought in for that, think he was more there as a negotiator.

A director of Football doesn't necessarily choose the targets, I think the only place where that has been the case is with Dennis Wise at Newcastle.

Ally will pick his targets and smith will do the leg work chasing them, getting them signed he may suggest the odd player, and who knows when he does we might be lucky enough to sign a player of the same calibre as Kerkar. :rolleyes:

Na mate i can see Rangers everytime they play at Ibrox, you can only see that via a stream. you can have it if need be when you are over

Thanks mate (tu) You're really a very nice person :praise:

I'll try to come in February, as for my aunt, she'll realise how nice and friendly football fans can be :lol:

I'll try to come in February, as for my aunt, she'll realise how nice and friendly football fans can be :lol:

Its only tims i don't like mate :sherlock:

Na if you make it over and want to go to the game then just let me know and i will arrange it for you. The feelinf of walking up the stairs and seeing the grass just as you approach the seating area is :drool:

Thats the 1st time anybody has called him that,he will have fainted :lol:

Its only tims i don't like mate :sherlock:

Na if you make it over and want to go to the game then just let me know and i will arrange it for you. The feelinf of walking up the stairs and seeing the grass just as you approach the seating area is :drool:

Ok mate, if I come I'll tell you then ! :D And you do are a nice person :uk:

Pretty sure you can get someone to take care of your aunt for the afternoon; keep her busy.

You could just ask in the off-topic forum. ;)