Gordon Smith to be appointed director of football ?

MCLACHLAN1

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gordon Smith was in charge of Rangers Financial Services back in the 90s He will probably oversee all transfer and contract details and that will take pressure off Ally and his team who will continue to scout the best available talent for our beloved club. Think positively on this one, we have a team of total Gers men in charge of the club,people who love and care about Rangers and that can only be good for us.Forget what Smith did in his time at the SFA and don't forget he had little control there. He is back with the club he loves and served well in the 70s.The future is bright. I think "BLUE sky days" sums it up. To paraphrase AC/DC "For Those About To Love Glasgow Rangers, We Salute You!"

The bottom line is how Mr.McCoist and him get along. What we've had in the past few years are strong working relationships and a great team spirit at the club overall. Hope it continues with Mr. Whyte, Gordon Smith and the QPR chap on board.

Sounds about right. I definitely know Cooper was brought from Clydebank because I was lucky enough to watch him giving Greig the run around for the Bankies not long before we signed him. The first time I watched Cooper for Clydebank at Kilbowie vs the Rangers he was absolutely amazing.

I'm sure I've never heard such a collective clamour from the Bears to sign one player after a single performance such as he delivered that night.

I was there as well. John Greig had no idea what had just happened to him. A mesmerising performance, indeed. Smith was bought from Killie, for 100k as well I think.

I was there as well. John Greig had no idea what had just happened to him. A mesmerising performance, indeed. Smith was bought from Killie, for 100k as well I think.

Smith cost £65,000, Cooper cost £100,000 and Russell came from junior football (Shettleston) straight into our first team.

Not a bad piece of buisness. (tu)

sorry but Gordon Smith should not be any where near our club, never mind Director of Football ffs! Hope this is yet another wind up

yip why appoint an ex player who is articulate, intelligent , worked within the SFA, worked as an agent for years, worked with UEFA and has good contacts, spent many years in the media. I can see your point!

Hopefully a position for Campbell Ogilvie and Donald Findlay can also be found

yip why appoint an ex player who is articulate, intelligent , worked within the SFA, worked as an agent for years, worked with UEFA and has good contacts, spent many years in the media. I can see your point!

Hopefully a position for Campbell Ogilvie and Donald Findlay can also be found

I totally agree about Campbell Ogilvie & Donald Findlay and would concede that Gordon Smith would help in transfer dealings etc. However, my idea of a Director of Football is someone who directs the club football 100%, including the 1st team. Having now read the interview with Craig Whyte in the Sun it would appear that he does not have a remit to oversee Ally's activities. This makes me a little more comfortable with his appointment,

I totally agree about Campbell Ogilvie & Donald Findlay and would concede that Gordon Smith would help in transfer dealings etc. However, my idea of a Director of Football is someone who directs the club football 100%, including the 1st team. Having now read the interview with Craig Whyte in the Sun it would appear that he does not have a remit to oversee Ally's activities. This makes me a little more comfortable with his appointment,

I'd imagine he's DOF rather than CEO for legal reasons relating to Mr Bain finding himself currently unemployed.

I only read the first 2 pages and then the last page, so sorry if this has been asked already. Is this the first time we've ever appointed someone in this position?

Advocaat was Director of Football the season after he stopped managing us.

Good appointment. As people have said he has a good background with his agent work. Also its better to bring in someone for that role who has no management or coaching experience as it might undermine McCoist or put pressure on him if results aren't going right

sorry but Gordon Smith should not be any where near our club, never mind Director of Football ffs! Hope this is yet another wind up

Its you thats a wind up ya mincer, Smith is Rangers through and through.

Its you thats a wind up ya mincer, Smith is Rangers through and through.

As I said earlier, my idea of a Director of Football is that they direct all football activities. Craig whyte has stated that he is to oversee the youth development and (along side Ali Russell) the transfer negotiations. This to me is a lessor position than the title suggests. I have no doubts that he is a rangers man, however, I dont feel that he has done us any favours since he last walked through our doors. I dont expect universal agreement but that what this forum is all about, differing views.

His experience in my opinion would not put him in a position where I would like to see him in total charge of football operations at our club. I am certain that Ally would not have been happy with that either and would probably have undermined his position.