Rangers improve offer to Steven Whittaker

Gaz52

Couldn't see a thread on this, if there is one just shuv this in with it

Anyway, looks like Whittakers agent got what he wanted, an improved contract offer from us. I hope it's nothing OTT, as good as Whittaker can be he's also a disaster alot of the time. I'm happy if he signs this and we keep him but like I said nothing OTT hopefully

Rangers have made Steven Whittaker what the player's agent describes as "a substantially improved offer".

Ken Anderson told BBC Scotland that he and the defender would consider the deal put to them before getting back to the club with a response next week.

Turkish outfit Bursaspor had a third offer for the Scotland international rejected this week.

Rangers had rebuffed two approaches already, but Bursaspor had come back with an improved bid of 750,000 euros.

Ibrox manager Ally McCoist has already expressed his desire to keep 27-year-old Whittaker, who is entering the final year of his current contract.

The Scottish Premier League champions are keen to tie the versatile defender, who can also play in midfield, to a new long-term deal.

But Bursaspor's public interest has alerted clubs in the Premier League in England, who have asked to be kept abreast of his situation.

The Turkish outfit signed Kenny Miller from Rangers for about £400,000 in January with the Scotland striker's contract with the Scottish champions due to expire in the summer.

Anderson was looking for Rangers' offer to reflect Whittaker's importance to the Glasgow club.

"They say they consider him to be one of their four main players," he said.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he more than deserves a new contract, a crucial player, can play virtually anywhere, gets forward when required, scores goals and then slips into CB n looks like hes played there for years, what more can you ask of the guy? Some people got very short memories :rolleyes:

His versatility is vital with such a small squad.

I would hate to see him go.

I feel he is part of the backbone of our 3 in row winning squad.

He deserves whats coming to him and it great news to hear .

Exactly what is it Rangers are telling them when were rejecting their pathetic offers? The THIRD offer (750k) is still a disgrace. We should be telling them were rejecting it, not because we dont want to sell him, but because its a fucking disgraceful amount of money that theyve offered.

Good. Whittaker has been a vital and much improved player for us, especially in the latter part of last season. He's versatile and committed, hopefully he'll sign this contract then we can get on with signing more players on longer terms.

On Clyde there that he's rejected the contract and Bursa have announced a deal is done.

Thats a re hash of the metro story, were they said they had tied up deals with Whitts, Ngaymo and some other cunt.

Bullshite imo

Eh

20 k p/w for a defender who aint very good at defending?

i mean more players aimlessly allowed to enter there last year.

davis still hasn't re signed you know. while i suspect he will perhaps a few eyes will be opened if he doesn't.

whittaker should have been offered a contract long long ago.

You don't appear to have much faith that Mr Whyte has already taken us out of the hole, that was debt. We of course know that the debt is as of yet unwaived, but will be at a future date.

A man of such means and financial accumen must be allowed to steer the ship in his preferred direction, although like others, I would like everything to have been finalised yesterday, time is our friend not our enemy.

Mr Whyte and his undoubted wealth will be of great benefit to our club, men like him do not make promises and not keep them, his reputation would be in tatters if that were ever to be the case, give the fellow support and time to take us forward.

i actualy have a lot of sympathy for him. he has been left quite a mess.

i had hoped he had arrived in time to stop the rot but it seems its still going on a little.

our lack of investment in the youths is another area that will cost us going forward.

Steven Whittaker has rejected the offer of a contract extension that would have made the defender the highest-paid player at Rangers, who plan to hold him to the final year of his current deal after rejecting a fourth transfer bid from Bursaspor.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/13886223.stm

Cheerio, Steven.