Rangers improve offer to Steven Whittaker

Gaz52

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God forbid that we should offer anything like that to Whittaker! He's an average player at best. Let's get him away to Bursaspor while they are still prepared to offer something for him - before they change there mind!

I had a feeling this might happen.

Can't be spending £20k a week on a player like Whittaker, so if he wants to go fair enough. He's played his part and has helped us win a bagful of medals, if he wants to move on so be it.

We really need to strengthen that defence though, especially if he goes.

he's apparently rejected 20k a week. If this is our final offer it wouldn't surprise me if our offer was around that. Like his agent said he's in rangers top 5 or 6 players (along with jela, shagger, naisy, davis & dare I say it Boogie) so our final offer would certainly have been in the 15-20k a week category!

disgrace for rejecting it!

If indeed it was 20k offered and he has rejected it. He can chase himself as far as I am concerned he is never worth that money a would say the club were being extremely generous offering anything over 15k to him.

I had a feeling this might happen.

Can't be spending £20k a week on a player like Whittaker, so if he wants to go fair enough. He's played his part and has helped us win a bagful of medals, if he wants to move on so be it.

We really need to strengthen that defence though, especially if he goes.

This is one of my issues with Whittaker, he cannot defend, against any half decent player with pace he gets taken to the cleaners. good going forward and thats it.

How much is Beattie getting in wages? I heard he was on roughly 20k a week, so if I was whittaker and I heard someone like beattie was getting more than me in wages I would be demanding the same amount. As I said tho, I only heard he was on that, probz a pile of shit.

He's not worth £20k a week, he will be good for a 1/4 of the season and awful other times ... I cant see him being offered that ... if he has and rejected it - it's bye bye time and we can sign 2 players for that amount ever week ... bring thomson back into Midfield for a start!

Could the reason Whittaker is valued so highly by McCoist, and before him Walter Smith, be the fact that he is our most adaptable player? Last season he played at LB, RB, CB and both sides of midfield, and while he wasn't brilliant in any of these positions he did a job when asked. Smith and McCoist both said on numerous occasions last season that Whittakers' future is in midfield, and McCoist has stated twice in recent weeks that he is a "major part" of his plans for the team this season, therefore there should be no surprise at him being valued so highly. If he accepts the new offer he won't be the highest paid for long, as both McGregor and Davis are expected to be offered in the region of £20-£25k per week.

Pleased to read some of the more realistic comments here. For some considerable time now (not just this recent issue), I have been arguing that we should off load this guy.

Whittaker is, at best, an average player; at worst he can be a real liability. As someone said above, he can be good going forward (but not always), but defensively he is a nightmare!

He and Edu are, arguably, the two players on our team who give the ball away most often. For every good ball Whittaker plays he will make two or three errors. Against a good, speedy winger he is totally lost. His rare demonstrations of skill are, simply, not enough.

Personally, I would like to see him go - and PDQ! He will fade into utter obscurity once he leaves Rangers. let's do a bit of haggling with Bursaspor and, if we can get to the 1 million mark, let's shunt him!

If he wants £20k a week I don't see the problem. Well worth it.

Are you fishing? Lots of teams attack us down their left wing because they know he's a weak link. Craig ("never worth 15k a week") Conway regularly ripped him apart. He is versatile and has an excellent shot but if he wants more than 15k then it should be thanks Steven - enjoy the rest of your career away from Ibrox

This is why i love the game, eveyone has an opinion and they strongly believe that opinion is so obviously the correct one.

In MY opinion, Whittacket is worth the £15-£20k per week that is being suggested because of his versatility.

He has played at right wing, midfield, right back, left back & centre half, could easily be described as a jack of all trades (certainly not a master of one .. before anyone else says that). His versatility IS the reason for his worth.

This is why i love the game, eveyone has an opinion and they strongly believe that opinion is so obviously the correct one.

In MY opinion, Whittacket is worth the £15-£20k per week that is being suggested because of his versatility.

He has played at right wing, midfield, right back, left back & centre half, could easily be described as a jack of all trades (certainly not a master of one .. before anyone else says that). His versatility IS the reason for his worth.

Damm :sherlock: - agree totally!