Mr Whyte's Very Public Transfer Policy

Been reading the forums here for a while, but thought it was about time I actually input something. Just registered today, and this is a bit long-winded, but bear with me!:blush:

I've been quite astonished by some of the "concerned" posts on here, regarding our lack of signings. I tend to agree with the notion of "don't panic, it'll all work out in the end". It's early days yet and I'm sure we will have a squad capable of achieving 4-in-a-row.

But what's been bothering me is the way in which we appear to be approaching possible signing targets and openly discussing existing contract negotiations. Even before Ally went off on holiday he was naming targets during interviews and clearly willing to discuss them. Now he's been away on holiday Mr Whyte's taken over, continuing the open discussion on who we're after, how much we're offering, etc etc.

Remember when Van Bronkhurst and Amoruso were paraded? Remember Laudrup? Mo Johnston, even? Every one of those signings (apart from being terrific players for us) were done discreetly. We didn't know about the dealings and the wonderful Scottish media didn't have a clue until the Press Conferences at Ibrox were called.

I'm all for providing us, the fans, with as much information as possible - I think we all felt the previous administration were lacking on that front - but when it comes to contract negotiations and any 'business' dealings, I believe that should be kept under wraps until there IS something worthwile to report. What we seem to be doing here is causing more damage. The media are having a field day with this, a lot of fans are getting pretty frustrated with the lack of a conclusion to any deal, and by being so public we allow other smaller but wealthier teams, such as Cardiff to jump in. Now I'm sure a lot of this has to do with agents - they're job is to get their client the best deals, yeah, but they're also out to line their own pockets. That's their jobs!

I fully expected the appointment of Gordon Smith to alter this very public approach to our dealings. Having been a player, agent and businessman it seemed to me a no-brainer to get him in there immediately. I thought he would be handling ALL contracts, both existing and potentials? Why then are we still seeing Mr Whyte spouting forth in papers and on the sports news? Step up and play Gordon! Where are you? You may have only had a week in the post, but please, please take over and ensure these things are done in the proper manner.

Anybody else feel this public display is having a negative effect?

I understand what you're saying but, to be fair, Rangers interest in Goodwillie especially has been public knowledge for a very long time.

I understand what you're saying but, to be fair, Rangers interest in Goodwillie especially has been public knowledge for a very long time.

Absolutely, we've known of the interest for a long time, but did we really need to know how much we've offered and how much they're asking? This is part and parcel of transfer negotiations, but it's that sort of info that whouldn't be made public until such times as a deal is done, or a deal is dead IMHO.

That's all that's pissing me off, TBH. Mr Whyte's also put a price on two existing players, actively alerting other clubs - despite saying we're NOT selling anyone! Strange way of doing business.

smoke and mirrors i am confident that the majority of our main targets are not known to the press

This is my view as well (tu)

I actually made a prediciton the other day, that one of these days there will be a signing announced that none of us have even had a sniff of, and got laughed at by my mates, if you notice, every target we've announced interest in so far has been a free agent, except Cuellar and Goodwillie, who both actually want to join the club, i believe that things are going on behind the scenes, as Whyte says, there's offers in for "several players", now that could be, Cuellar, Wallace, Goodwillie and an offer on the table to Danns, but i believe that we are speaking about more than just those 4.

What is it with posters on forums ?

previous regime : wish they would come out and tell us whats going on , its our money blah blah blah

new regime : wish they would stop talking in public and letting everyone know whats going on at Ibrox .

<cr>

strange breed

What is it with posters on forums ?

previous regime : wish they would come out and tell us whats going on , its our money blah blah blah

new regime : wish they would stop talking in public and letting everyone know whats going on at Ibrox .

<cr>

strange breed

(tu) Yep you cant win.

I fully expected the appointment of Gordon Smith to alter this very public approach to our dealings. Anybody else feel this public display is having a negative effect?

Smith can do nothing about players agents publicising to the press interest in their client. Given that, I think it’s highly commendable that The Rangers are now communicating freely with the support as required.

And, no, I don’t think it makes a whit of a difference.

I said something similar in a thread a few days ago. Our main targets are being pursued in secret, thats my opinion anyway.

I would hope this is the case. I am trying to be patient and logical about the transfers but it is bloody hard.

Been reading the forums here for a while, but thought it was about time I actually input something. Just registered today, and this is a bit long-winded, but bear with me!:blush:

I've been quite astonished by some of the "concerned" posts on here, regarding our lack of signings. I tend to agree with the notion of "don't panic, it'll all work out in the end". It's early days yet and I'm sure we will have a squad capable of achieving 4-in-a-row.

But what's been bothering me is the way in which we appear to be approaching possible signing targets and openly discussing existing contract negotiations. Even before Ally went off on holiday he was naming targets during interviews and clearly willing to discuss them. Now he's been away on holiday Mr Whyte's taken over, continuing the open discussion on who we're after, how much we're offering, etc etc.

Remember when Van Bronkhurst and Amoruso were paraded? Remember Laudrup? Mo Johnston, even? Every one of those signings (apart from being terrific players for us) were done discreetly. We didn't know about the dealings and the wonderful Scottish media didn't have a clue until the Press Conferences at Ibrox were called.

I'm all for providing us, the fans, with as much information as possible - I think we all felt the previous administration were lacking on that front - but when it comes to contract negotiations and any 'business' dealings, I believe that should be kept under wraps until there IS something worthwile to report. What we seem to be doing here is causing more damage. The media are having a field day with this, a lot of fans are getting pretty frustrated with the lack of a conclusion to any deal, and by being so public we allow other smaller but wealthier teams, such as Cardiff to jump in. Now I'm sure a lot of this has to do with agents - they're job is to get their client the best deals, yeah, but they're also out to line their own pockets. That's their jobs!

I fully expected the appointment of Gordon Smith to alter this very public approach to our dealings. Having been a player, agent and businessman it seemed to me a no-brainer to get him in there immediately. I thought he would be handling ALL contracts, both existing and potentials? Why then are we still seeing Mr Whyte spouting forth in papers and on the sports news? Step up and play Gordon! Where are you? You may have only had a week in the post, but please, please take over and ensure these things are done in the proper manner.

Anybody else feel this public display is having a negative effect?

Totally spot on.

Gordon Smith has his remit (and should do it as privately as possible) as has Ali Russell.

Mr Whyte has to confine himself to overseeing matters. An example of which is the politics of propaganda an area where D Murray didn't give a rats ass - a clear three way split, when Mr Whyte spots more and more anti Rangers PR at that point I expect the phone calls to those big wig legal people in London and Europe.

Keep it simple Rangers!(tu)

I agree you with about Gordon Smith's role and now that everyone is back from holiday I expect things to change quite rapidly.As regards leaked info the analogy of Ryan Giggs immediately comes to mind.He tried everything including super injunctions to keep his affairs under wraps but it didnt work.The Media and the Internet is too powerful to keep a blanket over things and never forget that the Rangers are a huge target in Scotland.If you take that as given then maybe it is a better approach to engage the Media but tell them only what you want them to know or they need to know.I am pretty sure there are a lot of things going on in the background that are known only to a few and if that means signings it will all come out in due course.Of course it is disappointing to read of an intended signing only for it to fall through but its way too early to be pressing the panic button.

So far, "Mr Whyte's Very Public Transfer Policy" has involved the confirmation of two firm bids that have been made; neither of which involved him stating the value of the bid.

Tomer Hemed: Not revealed by Whyte or Rangers: first came up in the Israeli press and was banging about for over two weeks before McCoist publically commented

Craig Conway: Not revealed by Whyte or Rangers: rumours on multiple sites for 3 weeks before his agent publicised the talks at Murray Park

Carlos Cuellar: Not revealed by Whyte or Rangers: first rumours in the Record, interest confirmed by McCoist, bid confirmed by Whyte but nothing on the amount bid

Lee Wallace: Interest and bid size revealed by Hearts, no mention of bid amount by Rangers but bid confirmed by "source"

David Goodwillie: Everyone and their auntie has known since January that we wanted him but we didn't have a fucking button to spend then. Enquiry was revealed by Houston, bid confirmed by Whyte, no mention of the value of the bid, just that the asking price of 2 million was too high from Ranger's perspective

Neither has Whyte revealed the size of contract offered to any of the Bosman signings or in the negotiations with Whittaker.

Any confirmation of interest in any other named player (Vaughn, Danns, Darren McGregor, et al) has come from McCoist or "sources inside Ibrox"

I think Ibrox leaks like a fucking sieve, and I would prefer things were quieter, but to accuse Whyte of running a very public transfer policy is a nonsense, I'm afraid.

I agree with the OP here. Historically we have done deals discreetly unlike others from across the city who love to make everything public. I feel doing things quietly, at least in the transfer market, is the right way to do things.

I much prefer the constant stream of information as things stand these days.

Two guys we were interested in have signed for someone else,it's natural we would want to hear what the plans are.

Craig Whyte continues to keep us in the picture which I think it's fantastic.

There was a clear gap between the club and the supporters when we all wanted Murray to show his face and make statements which he didnt.

Your new man is bridging that gap and I'm very happy being kept up to date with things.