Rangers To Offer Weir New One-year Deal

Broxi1872

David Weir will report back to Murray Park to begin pre-season training and open talks over a new one-year deal that will see the veteran defender celebrate his 42nd birthday in a Rangers jersey.

After discussions with new Ibrox manager Ally McCoist, the veteran captain, who led the club to a hat-trick of SPL titles in the past three years, was given the go-ahead to return for another season.

Despite the uncertainty with his situation over the summer following the departure of Walter Smith, Weir was adamant he wanted to continue playing at the highest level.

He turned down the chance to have further talks with English League One club Brentford about the club's then vacant managerial position, as well as a coaching post at former club Everton.

Daily Mail

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news! No surrender Davie Weir :crabflute: I cant see him playing every week but he can provide cover and still get lots of games if other CBs get injured or suspended. He showed great form at the end of the season as well and did enough to convince me he could go another year.

I'm in two minds over it

Weir was absolutely sensational in the last 2 months of the season and i'd be much more confident with him in our team for the Champions League qualifiers than with an entire new defence

But i fear is the end of the Cuellar hopes. We'd probably be perfectly content to have Weir and Bougherra for another season and not rock the boat

Good new the only leader we have at the club out with shagger IMO and I aint a fan of keepers having the armband

Also reading that bit about Boyd round ye big man. thats what happens when people believe they are better than the are.

Weir wont play as much as he has during previous years. Against SPL opposition Weir is solid and more than good enough. Alos, if we did have Cuellar and Bougherra at the back and one was suspended or injured wouldn't it be great to have Weir coming in to cover them?

Give him another year. That should give Rangers more than enough time to bring in quality CBs to replace Weir and Bougherra in the long term.

Ally had a difficult choice to make.

On one hand, we have the only true leader that the squad had last year, and the year before that. A guy who looked like he was past it and then since the Co-Op cup final , has performed out of his skin, and made strikers 15-20 years his junior, look the players that are 41.

On the other hand, the guy will be 42 by the end of next season. He has virtually no pace and we are forced to play alot deeper with him in the side to compensate for this. At times his distribution is shocking, aimless balls that are nowhere near a blue jersey.

Perhaps it's time for him to call it a day. Davie said himself that he needs to play every game to keep up his fitness. I hope that, if he is to be offered a new contract, this isn't the case.

Thanks for everything Davie, but imo, he should leave on the high that Walter has.

What r u expecting out of europe this year?

why cant weir be in that team?

Because now we'll need to go super defensive again and stick 5 at the back to cover weirs pace, therefore going nowhere