Coisty Will Not Do A Le Guen

Coisty will NOT do a le Guen

By PAUL HUGHES

Published: Today

Add a comment Add a comment (0)

THE clock is ticking.

Ally McCoist has a training ground that's desperately short of players.

But Rangers first-team coach Ian Durrant promises his new boss won't be rushed.

He's convinced he won't get bodies in for the sake of it.

Because the last time a manager went out and filled the Ibrox dressing room with panic buys, he lost it.

With just three weeks to go, the SPL champions have still to sign a new player.

Gers legend Durrant has stressed that McCoist will take his time luring fresh faces to Murray Park.

After all, he remembers all too well the disastrous consequences of Paul le Guen handing out contracts just to make up the numbers.

He said: "We are under no illusions, we know we don't have enough players here at the moment. Far from it.

"But if we start panicking, we might start bringing in the wrong people. We've got to be meticulous as to which players we bring in.

"We have just pursued three players who have decided to go down other avenues. Good luck to them.

"But we have other irons in the fire at the moment.

"Hopefully we are going to have something done by the weekend or hopefully by next Monday. There will be deals done, when I don't know.

"Under Paul le Guen, we rushed in and bought players. Five or six players came in within the space of a few days. They were found out, they were not the right calibre for Rangers.

"Being a so-called rookie manager, I don't think Ally can go down that road. There are players out there but we might have to take our time.

"We will get players in, but they will be a calibre of players we want. Not ones we have to rush to get in.

"We have to take care. We don't have a level of money to blow it here, there and everywhere.

"We have to make sure that if we do get players in, they are the right players for Rangers."

The pursuit of Aston Villa defender Carlos Cuellar is one transfer that hasn't been rushed.

If McCoist could capture the £3million centre half it would be a great start to his spending spree.

And it would be a nice way to wrap up the story of a player Durrant first identified for Rangers in 2007. Durrant admitted: "It would put out a statement if we could bring Carlos back.

"You are always looking for a marquee signing. You would certainly look at Carlos as a marquee signing.

"It would bring a lot of pleasure to the fans and give a solid backbone to the team.

"It doesn't have to be your first signing. Sometimes there are other players you have pursued who wouldn't be a marquee signing but are ones you want.

"I first saw Carlos when I watched Osasuna before we played them in the UEFA Cup.

"John Brown then asked me about him and I said he was very tidy and covers the ground well.

"John told me he'd heard he wanted to get out of his contract.

"We pursued it from there. The gaffer and I went to see him play and he was fantastic.

"We got him and unfortunately didn't hold on to him for long enough. I would love to have seen him stay for another couple of years, but when you get that level of money thrown at you, you've got to take it."

Both McCoist and Durrant are still settling into their new roles at the club they love.

McCoist is still coming to terms with the business side of things, soaking up every aspect of being the boss of such a huge club.

Durrant is simply coming to terms with the idea of calling his best mate 'boss'.

He smiled: "It's been okay.

"I usually call him 'Super' or 'McCoist', but you have to give him the respect he is due.

"He'll be called 'Boss'. He'll maybe be called 'Gaffer' now and then, but there was only really one 'Gaffer' and that was Walter Smith.

"It's a question of respect. You can't walk about in front of the players calling him 'Super' or 'Ally'.

"He is the manager of Glasgow Rangers and he gets the respect and that title demands I'll be pitchside now. I won't be doing as much travelling, watching opposition teams and players.

"The scouting and recruitment side of it will go to Neil Murray and John Brown now, along with Gordon Smith as director of football. They will collaborate on that side of things.

"If we are successful in Europe, I will still go and see the teams we are playing against. But on a match-to-match basis with the first team, I'll be in the technical area now.

"Due to the numbers last year, I was in the stand beside the gaffer.

"Ally, Kenny McDowall and Jim Stewart were in the dugout.

"You actually get a far better picture of the game in the stand sometimes. The nightmare last year was getting them to answer the phone in the dugout.

"Ally says he is going to spend more time up in the stand now. But he says this and says that. I think he'll end up spending most of the time trackside with the rest of us."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3668273/Coisty-will-NOT-do-a-le-Guen.html#ixzz1Qi5ZUtFv

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd quite like Ally McCoist to be a touchline manager with a suit obviously, like Villas-Boas who more or less always on the touchline.

But if he wants to sit mostly in the stand and trusts Kenny McDowall and Ian Durrant on the touchline to oversee stuff, then so do I.

'He won't be rushed'

I'm sorry COisty but the SPL season kicks off in 3 weeks and so far we have not got close to getting a player in. I don't buy this 'We will not be held to ransom stuff.' Fair enough we should not be paying over the odds for players and that is financially correct but so far we have identified and confirmed our interest in 7 players (Vaughan, Conway, Danns, Hemed, Goodwillie, Wallace, Cuellar) and 4 of those players were free agents who were not on massive wages yet we failed to offer a contract to 3 of them despite declaring an interest in signing them. What is the point in declaring an interest in a player and not following up on it?

The more we sit with our thumb up our ass the closer the new season gets without new players in and if we go into the CL qualifiers with this current squad then we will struggle to make it ot the group stages. Throw into the mix that we have a very tough start to the season that could make or break Ally McCoist and so ar we are nowhere near ready.

I'm sorry COisty but the SPL season kicks off in 3 weeks and so far we have not got close to getting a player in. I don't buy this 'We will not be held to ransom stuff.' Fair enough we should not be paying over the odds for players and that is financially correct but so far we have identified and confirmed our interest in 7 players (Vaughan, Conway, Danns, Hemed, Goodwillie, Wallace, Cuellar) and 4 of those players were free agents who were not on massive wages yet we failed to offer a contract to 3 of them despite declaring an interest in signing them. What is the point in declaring an interest in a player and not following up on it?

The more we sit with our thumb up our ass the closer the new season gets without new players in and if we go into the CL qualifiers with this current squad then we will struggle to make it ot the group stages. Throw into the mix that we have a very tough start to the season that could make or break Ally McCoist and so ar we are nowhere near ready.

Erm wage demands from the players,guarantees of a first team place?

Ideally we should be looking to sign 2 of the 3 players (Goodie, Wallace or Cuellar) by the end of the week.

If not people will be hitting the panic stations at the weekend and who can blame them? The new players need time to gel.

Agreed.

McCoist was announced as the new manager in February, and we all know it was pretty much a done deal ever since the summer of 2010 when Walter said it was going to be his last season. The main focus was winning last season's league of course but a good amount scouting should have been done in this time surely in order for us not to be left struggling to identify and sign people in July/August time, an early start to the season was always possible after the amount of games that got canclled last winter and there was always going to be qualifiers to deal with whether we finished first or second.

I'm willing to eat my words later on but fact is I am concerned by the lack of activity in the transfer market so far, if it makes me a panic merchant then fine.

Aye because it's as easy as that,it's no Football Manager Keith.

I fully understand it is NOT a PC game bombay, but the point is, you pick your targets and you get your man. Simple as that. If you go after a player and are positive you can get him, then do it. Its all about execution. Don't wait about and hope, go out and do it.

Erm wage demands from the players,guarantees of a first team place?

If we signed most of these players, I think they would have been in the 1st team.

Conway i think would be in the 1st team along with Cuellar, Goodwillie, & Danns.

Cuellar could step in for weir. Goodwillie could partner Jelavic, and danns could easily take McCulloch or Edu's place in Midfield.

If we signed most of these players, I think they would have been in the 1st team.

Conway i think would be in the 1st team along with Cuellar, Goodwillie, & Danns.

Cuellar could step in for weir. Goodwillie could partner Jelavic, and danns could easily take McCulloch or Edu's place in Midfield.

Have to disagree.

Squad players apart from Cuellar and Goodwillie.

None of us know how Ally rated them though but he doesn't seem overly concerned.

Cuellar and Goodwillie are the only two first teamers we've been in for IMO

If we had brought in a few players by now, got McGregor, Davis and Whittaker signed up on new deals and then gave new contracts to Weir, Healy and Kerkar people would probably accept it. They would be looking forward to the new season with a bit of excitement and would have deemed the resignings of Healy and Kerkar as squad players.

But the longer we go without getting players in, getting McGregor and Davis tied down on new deals and giving new deals to people who didn't/won't contribute like Kerkar and Healy then people will obviously panic and wonder what the fuck is going on.

People keep saying we have to get people in right away for the start of the season. Are these people genuinely telling me that an 18 man squad of:

McGregor

Alexander

Whittaker

Broadfoot

Bougherra

Weir

Papac

Naismith

Davis

Ness

Hutton

Edu

McCulloch

Wylde

Fleck

Jelavic

Lafferty

Heal

Isn't good enough to get us through a few SPL games and a Champions League qualifier?