Juan Manuel Ortiz In Signing Talks

CARLOS CUELLAR told Juanma Ortiz to join Rangers - because they're the REAL MADRID of Scotland.

Cuellar called close pal Juanma yesterday as he edged closer to joining the SPL champs.

The pair were team-mates at Osasuna and the ex-Gers stopper told his fellow Spaniard he's making the right move.

A source close to Juanma told SunSport: "Carlos phoned Juanma in Glasgow on Tuesday and told him he was thrilled for him that he was joining Rangers. He said it was a great move for him. Carlos described Rangers as 'the Real Madrid of Scotland' and that really excited Juanma.

"They played together at Osasuna and they are good friends."

Juanma, 29, has agreed personal terms with Gers and will sign a three-year contract this morning.

The deal would have been completed last night but there was a delay in paperwork from Spain.

If Gers can cut through the red tape in time, he'll fly out with his new team-mates to their German training base today and could be involved in tomorrow's friendly against Sportfreunde Lotte.

Juanma said last night: "I want this to go through quickly so I can go to Germany. I want to leave with the rest of the lads. I have everything ready to be a Rangers player."

Agent Bill McMurdo added: "I am convinced it will go through on Wednesday."

Juanma could still be re-united with Cuellar at Ibrox. Gers have already enquired about the 29-year-old, who has a year left on his deal at Aston Villa.

New Villa boss Alex McLeish has yet to make a decision on whether he will involve Cuellar in his plans for next term.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3679866/Gers-are-a-REAL-step-up-Juanma.html#ixzz1RH5JH2Op

HE DOESN'T have the flair of Xavi.

He might lack the sublime skills of Andres Iniesta.

Antonio Calderon says, however, Rangers new boy Juanma Ortiz is one of a kind.

Dubbed 'Tiger' in his Spanish homeland, Juanma has the combative style that marks him out as a one-off in La Liga... and makes him PERFECT for the SPL.

Calderon has watched the former Almeria ace relish the midfield war zones in Spain and the former Kilmarnock, Raith Rovers and Airdrie playmaker

is convinced his countryman is tailor-made for the rigours of an Old Firm title fight.

Right-sided midfielder Juanma will put pen to paper on a three-year deal this morning to complete his switch to Scotland.

Ex-Raith boss Calderon - who is in the running to become the new boss of relegated Tenerife - believes the tough-tackling 29-year-old can be a smash hit at Ibrox.

He also feels Rangers fans will immediately take Juanma to their hearts, just as they did Nacho Novo.

Calderon said: "I think Rangers fans will love Juanma's commitment. There is no doubt about it.

"He is a good pro and a fantastic worker. He's maybe not your typical Spanish midfielder - you wouldn't call him a silky player - but he is passionate and committed.

"He'll work hard for the whole team, not just for 90 minutes but for the whole season.

"The fans shouldn't expect a player like Joaquin who played for Valencia and Spain.

"He was a quick winger whereas Juanma is not as spectacular. He is a box-to-box player but I think he will do well in Scotland and I'm sure he can do a job for Rangers.

"I can see him adapting well to the game in Scotland.

"I was there for a few years so I remember the way the game is played in Scotland.

"The SPL is a very competitive league but for me that's why it is a good fit. Juanma is a very competitive player.

"It's a good move for him. Rangers are a big club and he'll feel he is making a big step up. He will arrive full of confidence and will be highly motivated to do well.

"He's been around for a good few years as well and has plenty of experience. It's not like he's a young raw talent - he is a solid professional and can do a job in a number of positions.

"I've seen him play on the right wing, at right back, and even at left back. It's that kind of versatility that makes him very popular with managers.

"Now this is a new challenge for him in a new country and he clearly wants to make a go of it in Scotland."

Juanma came through the youth ranks at Atletico Madrid alongside the likes of Fernando Torres.

He played just six times for the full side in five years with the club but Calderon insists his schooling was one of the best in Spain.

Calderon said: "Atletico's youth system is very good and he was there for a number of years learning his trade. Some of the best young players were at Atletico. The likes of Fernando Torres was there as a youngster so you can see the kind of talent produced there."

While he struggled to make the breakthrough at Atletico, Juanma was farmed out on loan to Osasuna where he gained first-team experience over two seasons from 2004 to 2006.

The following year he played the full season on loan at Second Division side Poli Ejido before signing for Almeria in 2007.

There he became a hugely popular figure with the fans.

Calderon insists Juanma has shown he can hack it in one of Europe's top leagues and will be ideal for Gers.

Calderon said: "He went to Osasuna on loan where he played some games but then he got good experience at Poli Ejido who were in the Second Division at the time.

"When he went to Almeria in 2007 he played lots of games and did really well.

"The last four or five years have been really good for him.

"He has established himself as a regular for Almeria and I recall seeing him score a couple of good goals.

"In fact, he scored one of the goals which put Almeria up to La Liga.

"It was the first time in about 20 or 30 years that they were up there.

"And when they were in the top division he scored a good goal against Seville.

"The standard in La Liga is very high. You don't play in the midfield for a La Liga side unless you're a good player - and Juanma has some good qualities."

Calderon was part of the Spanish armada brought over by Steve Archibald to Airdrie in 2000.

However, there haven't been too many Spaniards gracing our game in recent years - and Calderon would love to see that change.

He said: "I think Scotland would benefit from some Spanish influence because our football is now at its best.

"The Spanish managers and players are now full of confidence.

"We believe in our style of football and in the way our players are developed.

"Scottish teams should perhaps be looking at more Spanish players.

"I remember how popular Nacho Novo was with the Rangers fans.

"He was very young when he arrived in Scotland from Spain but was full of passion and hunger.

"The Rangers fans loved that about him - and I think they'll love that about Juanma too."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3679686/Theres-no-one-quite-like-Juanma.html#ixzz1RHA1NA7J

HE DOESN'T have the flair of Xavi.

He might lack the sublime skills of Andres Iniesta.

Antonio Calderon says, however, Rangers new boy Juanma Ortiz is one of a kind.

Dubbed 'Tiger' in his Spanish homeland, Juanma has the combative style that marks him out as a one-off in La Liga... and makes him PERFECT for the SPL.

Calderon has watched the former Almeria ace relish the midfield war zones in Spain and the former Kilmarnock, Raith Rovers and Airdrie playmaker

is convinced his countryman is tailor-made for the rigours of an Old Firm title fight.

Right-sided midfielder Juanma will put pen to paper on a three-year deal this morning to complete his switch to Scotland.

Ex-Raith boss Calderon - who is in the running to become the new boss of relegated Tenerife - believes the tough-tackling 29-year-old can be a smash hit at Ibrox.

He also feels Rangers fans will immediately take Juanma to their hearts, just as they did Nacho Novo.

Calderon said: "I think Rangers fans will love Juanma's commitment. There is no doubt about it.

"He is a good pro and a fantastic worker. He's maybe not your typical Spanish midfielder - you wouldn't call him a silky player - but he is passionate and committed.

"He'll work hard for the whole team, not just for 90 minutes but for the whole season.

"The fans shouldn't expect a player like Joaquin who played for Valencia and Spain.

"He was a quick winger whereas Juanma is not as spectacular. He is a box-to-box player but I think he will do well in Scotland and I'm sure he can do a job for Rangers.

"I can see him adapting well to the game in Scotland.

"I was there for a few years so I remember the way the game is played in Scotland.

"The SPL is a very competitive league but for me that's why it is a good fit. Juanma is a very competitive player.

"It's a good move for him. Rangers are a big club and he'll feel he is making a big step up. He will arrive full of confidence and will be highly motivated to do well.

"He's been around for a good few years as well and has plenty of experience. It's not like he's a young raw talent - he is a solid professional and can do a job in a number of positions.

"I've seen him play on the right wing, at right back, and even at left back. It's that kind of versatility that makes him very popular with managers.

"Now this is a new challenge for him in a new country and he clearly wants to make a go of it in Scotland."

Juanma came through the youth ranks at Atletico Madrid alongside the likes of Fernando Torres.

He played just six times for the full side in five years with the club but Calderon insists his schooling was one of the best in Spain.

Calderon said: "Atletico's youth system is very good and he was there for a number of years learning his trade. Some of the best young players were at Atletico. The likes of Fernando Torres was there as a youngster so you can see the kind of talent produced there."

While he struggled to make the breakthrough at Atletico, Juanma was farmed out on loan to Osasuna where he gained first-team experience over two seasons from 2004 to 2006.

The following year he played the full season on loan at Second Division side Poli Ejido before signing for Almeria in 2007.

There he became a hugely popular figure with the fans.

Calderon insists Juanma has shown he can hack it in one of Europe's top leagues and will be ideal for Gers.

Calderon said: "He went to Osasuna on loan where he played some games but then he got good experience at Poli Ejido who were in the Second Division at the time.

"When he went to Almeria in 2007 he played lots of games and did really well.

"The last four or five years have been really good for him.

"He has established himself as a regular for Almeria and I recall seeing him score a couple of good goals.

"In fact, he scored one of the goals which put Almeria up to La Liga.

"It was the first time in about 20 or 30 years that they were up there.

"And when they were in the top division he scored a good goal against Seville.

"The standard in La Liga is very high. You don't play in the midfield for a La Liga side unless you're a good player - and Juanma has some good qualities."

Calderon was part of the Spanish armada brought over by Steve Archibald to Airdrie in 2000.

However, there haven't been too many Spaniards gracing our game in recent years - and Calderon would love to see that change.

He said: "I think Scotland would benefit from some Spanish influence because our football is now at its best.

"The Spanish managers and players are now full of confidence.

"We believe in our style of football and in the way our players are developed.

"Scottish teams should perhaps be looking at more Spanish players.

"I remember how popular Nacho Novo was with the Rangers fans.

"He was very young when he arrived in Scotland from Spain but was full of passion and hunger.

"The Rangers fans loved that about him - and I think they'll love that about Juanma too."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3679686/Theres-no-one-quite-like-Juanma.html#ixzz1RHBWze7a